Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Broken bank note help? 1821 Alexandria

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2017 1:52PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I'm going through a lot of old letters from an estate sale purchase. Many are from the 1890s to early 1900s. One of them had a worn out broke n bank note folded inside, stuck to a sheet of paper. I don't have a camera, but I'll try with this iPad. I don't see anything on the bay, so I was hoping some one here has a reference.

Thank you,,

Comments

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2017 3:30PM

You have a $5 note on the Mechanics Bank of Alexandria, Virginia. It's most likely dated 1831.

Here is your note, cropped and rotated for easier viewing:

And a link to another example of the same note, punch canceled, but in much better condition
    https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/7338ef89-0c1f-48e2-8b45-a613011a2c28/1f9e2c91-1bae-4f9a-9ee4-a62c00074baa/original.jpg

The above note was sold at auction on June 22, 2016 by Spink USA (lot 1020 in their Numismatic Collector's Series sale), where it realized $160. Your note will be worth considerably less than the Spink note though, due to condition.

Someone else may chime in with additional information.

Thank you.

I think it's impressive that this hasn't seen the light of day for over 90 years. There are also numerous checks and receipts from the early 1900s. All in all, a good lot.

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Did the paperwork have anything to do with the note, such as a counterfeit trial evidence sheet or letter from another bank seeking redemption? Those could raise the value greatly.

@bkzoopapa said:
    Did the paperwork have anything to do with the note, such as a counterfeit trial evidence sheet or letter from another bank seeking redemption? Those could raise the value greatly.

There was a letter saying it was found in another persons belongings. I took it that the other person had passed and this was found. It's amazing what people will keep, as this person kept every letter/card they ever received I believe. It's also amazing what people will sell. Some of these include letters home from WWII, personal documents, keepsakes, and other things you wouldn't expect to find for sale.