Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

have a not sure if coin or token

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

unfortunatly its been damaged by some holes but got this in a coin grab bag a while back

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a copper 40 reis of Brazil, minted at Bahia (the large "B" on the globe is the mint market). "XL" is the Roman numeral for 40. The Standard Catalog of World Coins lists an example in Good Condition at $6.00 - yours is better than that, but should be netted lower because of damage. I would consider this collectible, many early Brazilian coppers are rough and/or have counterstamps.

The Portuguese royal family fled Portugal in 1808 to avoid capture by the troops of Napoleon. They went to Brazil and remained there almost 12 years.

• Options

ah ty i couldnt find any help here on it. even the coin shop i go had no help.. i payed $5 for the grab bag. had some fairy newer coins and some old ones like that. the bag had around 30 coins in it

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I likely would have punted a fiver for that piece after gently probing the seller to see how firm his price was.

• Options

was at a coin shop where i live. also had a german coin from the 1800's , a 1/2 crown from the 1950's and some coins from other countries including 6 coins from russia from the cccp era in the bag with that one i loaded up

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was in a grab bag including other coins for $5 total, you did pretty good. It's only worth a few bucks as-is, but it's a fun find.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

ill load some of the other coins in a pic as soon as i can, i have the german one in a holder now its dated 1871 and a east african with edward the VIII

• Options

heres some of the grab bag. i didnt bother scanning the newer canadian and american

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

You have a little over .3 ounce of silver in the Australian Florin and French Franc. That's about $5.00 right there. Nice grab bag.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

ah thats good to know. nice to find some silver