Home Sports Talk
Options

Is anyone else watching the Cavs vs. Celtics game??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The score at Halftime is 72-31, I'm in disbelief and don't really know what to say. Has anyone ever seen a game like this, especially in the conference finals??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expected more from Boston. But give them credit. They won the opening tip.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally forgot it was on, but after hearing the score I don't think I will change to the channel

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boston is spent after going the distance vs Washington. Cleveland was both rested and ready and simply a superior basketball team. Expect Cleveland and Golden State to enter the Finals a combined 24-0 in the playoffs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

grote, it is peculiar to hear you voice that when I consider the narrative of the pre-game shows leading up to Game 1. they were all about how the Celtics had energy from their victory over Washington and that it would take the Cavs a quarter to find their rhythm, there's no substitution for "game-play" and you can't practice real action.......................blah, blah, blah. there was also plenty of talk about how the Cavs lost 14 of their last 24 games.

if you pay attention to what's going on it seems clear that Cleveland is playing different than during the regular season, their defense is different. it is almost as though they used the end of the regular season as "practice" while they were using real practice time to work on the playoff strategy. it should be apparent from last year and this year that home court advantage doesn't really mean that much.

I believe that is the main difference between Cleveland and Golden State, the Warriors push much harder during the regular season. aside from that the two Teams are very much alike. Golden State is probably a little bigger overall and as a Team I think the Cavs shoot better at the three-point arc. they both can push the pace and drive through the paint when they want to. both Teams pass like it's nobody's business.

the series which is almost a foregone conclusion will be good no matter who wins.

• Options

grote, it is peculiar to hear you voice that when I consider the narrative of the pre-game shows leading up to Game 1. they were all about how the Celtics had energy from their victory over Washington and that it would take the Cavs a quarter to find their rhythm

I think that narrative was based on wishful thinking that this series would at least be competitive in an effort to boost ratings. Obviously, that narrative turned out to be false.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I will say this much, the tone of the announcers certainly changed during this game from where it was in game 1. the way Cleveland played left them no choice but to moderate their tone. I will make this prediction about the upcoming Cleveland vs. Golden State series --- the announcers will be pro-Golden State, and it won't even be a close call, they will lose their objectivity right from the tip-off of game 1.

if I am wrong I will make a forum apology.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

As grote stated Boston was spent and will show up better in game 2, but the Cavs should win the series and move on to face GS. That should be a very good finals.

• Options

With the number one draft pick the Celtics should improve going forward. They overachieved in the regular season to get the number one seed for the playoffs , then got lucky in the lottery . The number one pick should be interesting though , do they take a point guard , if they do what about Isiah going forward , is he gone? All I know is, they better not draft that idiot with the moron dad that won't shut up .

Regardless , I think LeBron is going to have to die or retire before anyone gets past them from the east.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2017 10:01AM

As grote stated Boston was spent and will show up better in game 2

Boston was already a no-show in game 2. they might show up in games 3-4 but they now have the crowd against them. the word that comes to mind is "toast" and their coach trying to figure out a way to play without Thomas.

I would look for him in street clothes on Sunday and it will almost be like a funeral.

• Options

I think LeBron is going to have to die or retire before anyone gets past them from the east.

Lebron presents an enigma for everyone: how many players are in their 14th year and are still reaching their peak?? I don't believe he will retire until he passes MJ for titles, he hears all the comparisons and is only human, he cares about his legacy. what I figure will carry him past Jordan is the fact that Thompson and Irving will play with him as they enter their best years. the key will be Cleveland management keeping them together.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2017 11:22AM

@bronco2078 said:
    With the number one draft pick the Celtics should improve going forward. They overachieved in the regular season to get the number one seed for the playoffs , then got lucky in the lottery . The number one pick should be interesting though , do they take a point guard , if they do what about Isiah going forward , is he gone? All I know is, they better not draft that idiot with the moron dad that won't shut up .

The Celtics are going to die a quick death in the EC Finals, but being able to nab Markelle Fultz in the draft will more than make up for it. Point guard at U of Washington, but they'll probably move him to the 2 (he has the size and length to do so) and allow Thomas to keep running the show. 6'4"-6'5" with a big wingspan. Super-high basketball IQ. Adroit with the rock in his hands. A gifted shot-creator who puts the 3-ball in at a high clip, has a solid mid-range game, and can easily play above the rim when the spacing is there (it wasn't often in college, as he played on a wretched team). In summary, very little fails the eye test. Boston is about to lose, but they're going to win shortly thereafter.

I know everyone is dying to know what my plans are for Games 3 & 4 in each conference, so here it is: I'm going over to dallasactuary's house to watch Justacommeman watch him watch soccer.

• Options

they will continue to lose with a 5'7" guard who is weak on defense. he presents a problem for the Celtics.

• Options

The Celtics overachieved by a country mile this season. Thomas is a liability on defense, but he's the sole reason why they are even relevant. Without him, their last game would have taken place weeks ago.

• Options

he reminds me of Spud Webb, just not as good.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2017 9:37PM

Or Muggsy Bogues.

• Options

@keets said:
    he reminds me of Spud Webb, just not as good.

Spud put on a good dunk show, but his stats aren't even in the same ballpark as IT.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spud and Bogues weren't that great let alone good and have never carried a team on his back no matter how little the back was. Bad comparisons. Nate Archibald is a closer analogy

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2017 4:27PM

Thomas doesn't impress me, but perhaps I am biased. his offense is more than balanced by his (lack of) defense, but I don't want to appear as though I'm kicking him while he's down. I wish the man a speedy recovery from this current set-back and do indeed admire the fact that he can even play in the NBA.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Spud and Bogues weren't that great let alone good and have never carried a team on his back no matter how little the back was. Bad comparisons. Nate Archibald is a closer analogy

mark

Tiny Archibald was 6'1". Same as the Pistons Isaiah Thomas. He could carry any team on his back.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2017 6:40PM

I sure his feelings are hurt that you aren't impressed : )He averaged 29.0 points and 6.0 assists this season. He led the Celtics to the best record in the East. He's pretty good. At 5'7" he does need help on D. That's what the other 4 guys on the floor can help with. He ain't growing anymore

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Tiny Archibald was 6'1". Same as the Pistons Isaiah Thomas. He could carry any team on his back.

Archibald also weighed about 150 lbs soaking wet. Tiny Archibald well was, Tiny

mark

• Options

Game 3 is exactly why they play each game no matter what it looks like on paper. :oB)>:)

• Options
    edited May 22, 2017 12:41AM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Game 3 is exactly why they play each game no matter what it looks like on paper. :oB)>:)

I watched the last 3 minutes. Good stuff

Edited to say I just read that the Celtics were down by 21 in the 3rd quarter. Had no idea. Wow

mark

• Options

OUCH........................the second half by the Cavs was their worst game effort since the first half in game three against the Pacers. I don't know what the pep talk was in the locker room but it should end up in the circular file. the way the game played out was weird, an example of role reversal from start to finish.

despite the poor play it was nice to see double T keep things reasonable by knocking down free throws, but the real difference at the end was Marcus Smart. he had the hot hand and the Celtics deserve credit for better passing that rotated things till he was open. he got hot and Love got cold.

hats off to the Celtics, they played harder and deserved the win.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2017 7:41PM

OUCH indeed.......playing at home against a team without their best player!

Can you say "EMBARRESED" !! :o

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

If you could spell the word correctly I'd say it. What you did spell looks like the name of yet another wonder drug that will cure patchy skin and loosen up your stools while you chill with the grandkids and play checkers with the locals.

• Options

some haters will no doubt jump on the Team and on Lebron but it was sort of inevitable for them to have a bad game, I would prefer it now instead of in the next round. look at it this way --- in the third game vs Indiana they had a terrible first half and responded by overcoming a 26 point deficit. then count the second half of that game and the first half from last night added to the seven games between. that's the equivalent of eight games played at a pretty high level, a number that matches the games Lebron had with 30+ points.

the logical question to ask yourself is how long until Golden State plays a another bad game or a bad half. they played terrible for almost three quarters before Kawhi Leonard was injured. things can and do turn fast, don't they??

• Options

Cleveland was indeed primed for a letdown. It happens. No panic. I was hoping for a 12-0 Warriors and 12-0 Cavs
    going into the finals. No biggie

mark

• Options

@travis t said:
    If you could spell the word correctly I'd say it. What you did spell looks like the name of yet another wonder drug that will cure patchy skin and loosen up your stools while you chill with the grandkids and play checkers with the locals.

Looks OK to me. ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@travis t said:

Looks OK to me. ;)

The funniest part of this post, DM, is that even after editing the post, you still misspelled it, LOL..

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Can you say "EMBARRESED" !! :o

These guys are wrong. You spelled that word properly.

Sincerely,
    Micheal Ervin

• Options

OMG!!!! :#

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Lebron passing MJ tonight in career playoff points some announcers on the radio broadcast were talking LBJ as the greatest of all time. May seem a bit early for a coronation as such, as his career is not yet over.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

he still has a few miles left in the tank. Lebron presents a problem for most Teams and with the way Irving and Love have been playing that gets amplified, especially when he's hitting from the arc.

this upcoming Final Series, no matter who wins it, should be a treat for basketball fans everywhere.

• Options

Go Cavs!!! :)

• Options

With Lebron passing MJ tonight in career playoff points some announcers on the radio broadcast were talking LBJ as the greatest of all time. May seem a bit early for a coronation as such, as his career is not yet over.

James is good but Jordan was better. It took more games for James to pass Jordan in playoff points and I think that makes a difference.

• Options

Dimeman, if you really want to get hung up on statistics for these two great players I think you'll realize that it's pretty much a draw to this point, so it is a good time to compare. maybe I read it wrong, so please forgive me, but MJ played in 1,072 games and thus far Lebron has played in 1,061. anything going forward shouldn't really be considered because it is almost a sure thing that Lebron's stats will fall a little as he gets older.

that isn't an excuse it is just the truth.

if you consider averages/game for points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals first for MJ and then for Lebron we get the following:
    30.1 --- 27.1
    6.2 --- 7.3
    5.3 --- 7.0
    .83 --- .8
    2.35 --- 1.6

looking at career stats for the two players it is clear that they are closer than close and probably closer than many memories would have guessed. I suppose that it will be your prerogative to say that by virtue of Championships MJ is the clear winner, but I would only say it is senseless to compare a players stats by his TEAMS accomplishments. it goes without saying that these two magnificent athletes did things at a level that few others ever have, and they did it almost equally as well as the other.

to nit-pick about a single point here or there spread over 1,000+ games is ludicrous. the only sure thing we can know(and even it is questionable) is that Lebron James will have a longer NBA career as a player than Michael Jordan. we can remember MJ via film and our faulty recall, but we watch Lebron play right now. we should just consider ourselves fortunate that we have been witness to greatness from both players.

• Options

I totally agree with everything stated here on LB and MJ. Do you have the same numbers on KB?

Also, I believe this whole debate started because of the total playoff points record that James just broke.

James has more points.....MJ has more points per game. James will also probably pass MJ in total career points unless his career is cut short for some reason. James should have more years in the NBA due to coming straight out of High School where Jordan used up years in college and took off 2 years to play Baseball.

They are both GREAT players. It comes down to personal preferences and if I had to pick one it would be MJ.

• Options

@keets said:
    Thomas doesn't impress me, but perhaps I am biased. his offense is more than balanced by his (lack of) defense, but I don't want to appear as though I'm kicking him while he's down. I wish the man a speedy recovery from this current set-back and do indeed admire the fact that he can even play in the NBA.

@keets said:
    they will continue to lose with a 5'7" guard who is weak on defense. he presents a problem for the Celtics.

Well now he's your 5' 7"" point guard who can't play D.

mark

• Options

this means LBJ is as good as gone after this season, imo. something tells me he's going to be rubbing elbows with Lavar Ball before his career ends.

• Options

Well now he's your 5' 7"" point guard who can't play D.

and your point would be what?? that it is my fault?? that my opinion of him will change?? that you have "won" something somehow??

just to be sure, I think it was a bad trade for the Cavs and maybe the best part of it will be Jae Crowder and the 1st round pick they get for 2018. I really believe it was a miscalculation by Irving, a gamble that only time will settle. watching him play for the time he was here he didn't strike me as being the ego-maniac or the guy who needs to be "Top Dog" with a franchise that he apparently is. he came across as humble in a League filled with prima-donnas. perhaps he feels he has a better shot at a Championship now or that the fan support he receives will be greater.

I really need to stay focused on Baseball right now, there's no time on my calendar for Basketball or Football. the way the Indians schedule is set-up and the injuries they have will test two things --- the character of the healthy players and the skill of Terry Francona in using his Team, the right guy at the right time.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2017 8:01PM

1) Thomas- you are going to end up liking him and the first round pick to be sure.

2) you maybe right about Irving over playing his hand but it's not easy playing with King James unless you are a role player. It not easy being a GM or coach with James on your team either. Everything runs through him

3) Indians- you are in good shape

mark

• Options

@keets said:

just to be sure, I think it was a bad trade for the Cavs and maybe the best part of it will be Jae Crowder and the 1st round pick they get for 2018. I really believe it was a miscalculation by Irving, a gamble that only time will settle. watching him play for the time he was here he didn't strike me as being the ego-maniac or the guy who needs to be "Top Dog" with a franchise that he apparently is. he came across as humble in a League filled with prima-donnas. perhaps he feels he has a better shot at a Championship now or that the fan support he receives will be greater.

He is a normal guy who just didn't realize what a massive tool and whiny bitch lebron james is and he can't take it anymore. So he would rather have less chance to win but not be around the guy.

Thomas will probably feel the same in 2 years , oh wait lebron will cut and run at the end of next year so maybe not. 2 years from now the cavs will be the celtics of 2016 but thomas will be a bit older and still short :#