Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Beginner and triples

I have recently begun collecting one dollar bills that have triples in the serial numbers . . . Like 12344470

Since I'm a beginner at this, is this a useful way to collect? I never seem to come across any misprint or unusual markings or runs of numbers on currency. All advice welcome.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Collect what you enjoy and keep posting! This is a great place to learn and share. The example SN you posted is not quite fancy enough to carry a premium. Coolserialnumbers.com is a good resource to check out for more detailed info.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

+1

Also, this website would be worthwhile frequenting as well: http://www.papermoneyforum.com

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Tooky's got it right(as usual)....go for what pleases you first and foremost.The way one goes about collecting(anything) is a "personal goals" type of thing.Each person has their own turn-ons and certainly their own budget.If it pleases you,you can't really lose.And,if you're collecting right out of circulation(I mean not buying notes above face value) again,you can't really lose.BUT,if your goals are to collect with the idea of profiting down the road when it's time for you to sell(or even just breaking even),you may need to examine carefully your strategy.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, triples do not make it any more valuable when you go to sell but they are really cool looking and you should enjoy your hobby so go for it!

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

Collect what makes you happy. I'm rather well known for collecting a certain type of currency that most people wouldn't touch.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Set strict rules for yourself. Only collect notes with a specific number sequence (whatever you decide you want). Other things to set rules for: denomination, condition (like only choice uncirculated, or nothing below an almost uncirculated), graded or not grade, specific districts you'll collect, etc.

Why do this? Simple, it will save you money. When I first got into collecting I got everything that looked interesting. Once I focused my collecting to specific denominations, I sold what didn't fit my parameters, at a loss. The more you can define you collection earlier in your collecting career, the great the challenge, and possibly the greater the savings. Good luck!

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Here's one of my favorite notes that just happens to have a triple in it.

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.
  • Thanks for all the helpful posts! I can see I have a lot to learn and this board will help.