Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Jeter "clutch"

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some strange reason i was looking through the espn headlines and they had a video montage about how Jeter thrived under pressure and was clutch. I think this silliness will be the final straw in my espn viewership. Jeter was a very solid player, but "clutch" he was not.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Agreed.

.817 career OPS (all situations)

.810 w/RISP
    .806 w/men on base
    .816 w/ 2 outs & RISP
    .776 late & close
    .808 w/high leverage
    .838 in the playoffs

So, would you want Jeter to bat in a clutch situation? Sure, because he was an above average MLB hitter in all situations. But, he wasn't clutch - he was just his normal self when the game was on the line.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like he was even better in the playoffs. I would take him in a heartbeat.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need Dallas or Skin to chime in before we come to any conclusions

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    We need Dallas or Skin to chime in before we come to any conclusions

LOL!!

And if Babe Ruth would have outhomered Chris Davs if he were playing at Camden Yards and stopping at the snack bar between innings.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was no Bucky Dent

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never understood the "clutch" moniker. Does it mean that the player was slacking in less important situations?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have felt the same way coinstartled. Do these players get all this money to only bear down when the playoffs come? Is it really so difficult to completely lock in for five at bats during a midseason game?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that Jeter guy never came through in the clutch. Captain Slacker is more like it :smiley:

Daniel
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Dependable. Means pretty much the same thing except it doesn't have that element of athletic achievement in its definition. That's what Jeter was in key moments. As a Yankee, that made him beyond popular and will help him retain his place in their history, particularly since he's young and still very much alive. The aura of famousness will stick to him like glue.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor Derek he isn't even dead yet but the Yankees are going to bury him in that silly graveyard they put up

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Poor Derek he isn't even dead yet but the Yankees are going to bury him in that silly graveyard they put up

Silly...I think not. It's an honor to be in there.