Home Sports Talk
Options

One more reason to hate the NFL

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 12, 2017 1:05AM in Sports Talk

Denver Broncos revoke season tickets for 21-year season ticket holder who couldn't attend any games in 2016 due to mother-in-law's battle with cancer:

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cancer-stricken-family-opens-up-about-broncos-revoking-season-tickets/ar-BBB2gt8?li=BBnb7Kz

Add this to how the NFL allowed Kaepernick to do his crap, and at the same time not allow the Cowboys to honor the Dallas PD; Ray Rice, how they treat former players battling concussion effects, and then the SD Chargers moving to Lala Land and Raiders moving out of Oakland (again), and the NFL is completely dead and worthless!!!!!

Steve

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on......tell us how you really feel. ;) Anyway despite all the negative things pro football is still my favorite sport.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Come on......tell us how you really feel. ;) Anyway despite all the negative things pro football is still my favorite sport.

I totally understand where you're coming from Dimeman. I've been a football (read: San Diego Chargers and, to a smaller extent, the Dallas Cowboys) fan since 1972. Basically for me, it comes down to this:

The NFL has repeatedly shown/proven that they don't give a damn about the fans. So, why should the fans give a damn about the NFL?

Steve

• Options

It sure was better with Pete Rozell for sure. I have been a Cowboy fan since 1960 when they came into the league.

Can't quit now.....just hang on until it gets better.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the NFL on my own terms I don't go and pay to see games I just enjoy it on TV so I feel I'm winning

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 5:07PM

@perkdog said:
    I use the NFL on my own terms I don't go and pay to see games I just enjoy it on TV so I feel I'm winning

+1

Still my favorite game to watch. and fantasy football has become an integral part of my Sundays now, too, lol

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yea Fantasy Football is a huge part although I don't feel like I'm winning with that lol

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I rarely watch an NFL game these days. The league has really gone down the tubes the last 10 yrs.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 7:39PM

We all choose how we spend our leisure time. From 1980 to 1995 I was glued to every NFL game that I could watch. Bet a few bucks on the games but that wasn't the reason. The game was fast tough and wide open. If you tried to speculate what the next play call was, you were often wrong.

The stars were celebrities but before the internet took off you didn't hear about every idiotic thing that they did or said.

Game to me is unwatchable now. Prohibiting hits on the offense has killed the running game as QB's have free reign and plenty of time to complete passes.

Optics are unappealing today as HD 58" televisions allow me to read every tat and count the head lice in the dread locks.

Sure I am a cranky old fan and will never respond to the ads for new SUV's or lighter beers that the marketers savor.

NFL continues to attract a massive audience so God bless them. They still can sucker taxpayers to fork out a billion dollars (or two) to house their diva butts.

Let kaepernick kneel and Vegas fans squeal. The game has left me and remains little more than a curiosity.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman and garnett, the slide actually began around 1963 when Art Modell became principal owner of the Cleveland Browns. in that regard, I find it ironic: Modell hijacked the Team to Baltimore, won his much coveted Super Bowl before his death and now the Browns are a hapless shell of the Team he originally purchased.

Art Modell made his chops as a Lawyer and Ad Agency Executive. one of the first things he did when he entered the League was to begin negotiations with the big three television networks, ABC/NBC/CBS --- that's right all you youngsters, that was all there was back then and the lights went out at around 1AM. does anyone under 40 actually know what a Test Pattern is and that high pitched ringing that could wake the dead??

once that was a done deal all that remained was the networks bidding against each other for the game broadcast rights. Modell's next big coup was Monday Night Football(the League experimented with it a few times before it became a fixture in 1970). he was rewarded for that by being given the first game in his "House" against the New York Jets, a game I attended in the Upper Deck, Section 19, Row H. I still remember Homer Jones running back the second half kickoff for a TD.

much of the credit is given to Rozelle, but Art Modell was instrumental and the principal negotiator. I have stated many, many times over the years that Modell's legacy would be the TV contracts he was instrumental in obtaining for the NFL. not many are aware of that. being a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan it is painfully clear --- Art Modell did much more for the NFL than he did for the Team he bought and the City that adopted him.

• Options

@keets said:
    lights went out at around 1AM. does anyone under 40 actually know what a Test Pattern is and that high pitched ringing that could wake the dead??

I had forgot about this, but remember now. Boy TV has changed. There are now hundreds of channels that go 24/7/365!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:
    lights went out at around 1AM. does anyone under 40 actually know what a Test Pattern is and that high pitched ringing that could wake the dead??

I had forgot about this, but remember now. Boy TV has changed. There are now hundreds of channels that go 24/7/365!

And if I had told my grandfather that his cable bill would be $150 per month.....

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

And if I had told my grandfather that his cable bill would be $150 per month.....

Or that you no longer had to walk uphill to school...both ways..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

God you guys are old. The NFL over the last 5 years has never been so popular. Maybe it's peaked but it's crazy successful

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    God you guys are old. The NFL over the last 5 years has never been so popular. Maybe it's peaked but it's crazy successful

mark

So our opinions are invalid?

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree.

• Options

The new touchy feely (dress me in pink) NFL does embrace the current snowflake mentality.

• Options

the new NFL isn't very attractive to me.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

So our opinions are invalid?

In your case yes. You've proved it a long time ago beyond a reasonable doubt. The numbers don't lie B)

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree.

Crap :D

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree.

mark

I knew that would rock your boat. B)

• Options
    edited May 14, 2017 5:31PM

@keets said:

It is probably going to have to change even more. The game has gotten so dangerous. Players will start walking away early while they still can walk. It's happening already. Bigger, faster, stronger is a double edged sword. The game is incredibly violent even with all the rules changes.

mark

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree.

mark

Quick, let's talk about Romo so we can disagree again, LOL..

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree.

mark

Quick, let's talk about Romo so we can disagree again, LOL..

No need for that. He's gone. I'm happy and there is no reason to bring up the past. ;)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

It is probably going to have to change even more. The game has gotten so dangerous. Players will start walking away early while they still can walk. It's happening already. Bigger, faster, stronger is a double edged sword. The game is incredibly violent even with all the rules changes.

mark

This is very true. It's easy to call the game soft while sitting on the sofa but the reality is entirely different from that scenario.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

mark

This is very true. It's easy to call the game soft while sitting on the sofa but the reality is entirely different from that scenario.

I don't have a fix for the hard hits, the brain damage and the broken bones. I didn't create the game, just was a spectator. Don't enjoy it anymore.

I'll watch college, at least the marching band and the cheerleaders add a bit of excitement. Watching the veins pop on the $5,000,000 head coaches of the amateur players adds a bit of thrill as well.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

mark

I don't have a fix for the hard hits, the brain damage and the broken bones. I didn't create the game, just was a spectator. Don't enjoy it anymore.

I'll watch college, at least the marching band and the cheerleaders add a bit of excitement. Watching the veins pop on the $5,000,000 head coaches of the amateur players adds a bit of thrill as well.

:smiley:

mark

• Options

**It is probably going to have to change even more. The game has gotten so dangerous. **

it may sound backwards, but the rule changes are part of the problem.

the NFL has gotten away from being a multi/two-dimensional offensive game and is rapidly moving towards being a passing only offensive game. that speeds players up, increases contact with players who aren't prepared for it and in a peculiar way, extends the length of a game. think about it: every time there's a running play the clock continues to move as the pile empties and the Teams huddle. conversely, on many pass attempts there is an incompletion or the receiver runs out of bounds and the clock stops.

I don't ever expect it to happen, but if rule changes encouraged running the game would be shortened and the players less susceptible to injuries. it's the kind of thing that could be tinkered with in the pre-season or at the bargaining table.

there is no way around avoiding injuries in a game which is physically on steroids(and literally). the thing is, we have moved away from knee injuries ending careers to brain injuries ending lives.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    **It is probably going to have to change even more. The game has gotten so dangerous. **

it may sound backwards, but the rule changes are part of the problem.

the NFL has gotten away from being a multi/two-dimensional offensive game and is rapidly moving towards being a passing only offensive game. that speeds players up, increases contact with players who aren't prepared for it and in a peculiar way, extends the length of a game. think about it: every time there's a running play the clock continues to move as the pile empties and the Teams huddle. conversely, on many pass attempts there is an incompletion or the receiver runs out of bounds and the clock stops.

I don't ever expect it to happen, but if rule changes encouraged running the game would be shortened and the players less susceptible to injuries. it's the kind of thing that could be tinkered with in the pre-season or at the bargaining table.

there is no way around avoiding injuries in a game which is physically on steroids(and literally). the thing is, we have moved away from knee injuries ending careers to brain injuries ending lives.

Can't go back to running the ball all the fantasy football weenies will cry

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read an article the other day about the 72 Dolphins. They made history that year, but price paid was stiff.

Bill Stanfill (deceased) suffered from dementia and Parkinson's. A posthumous examination of Earl Morrall's brain revealed CTE. Tim Foley and Hubert Ginn suffer from cognitive impairment. Jim Langer's "knees and legs are completely shot." Manny Fernandez has had 8 back surgeries and many other operations. Mike Kolen was recently diagnosed with initial stages of Alzheimer's. Jim Kiick is so ill that he is incapable of caring for himself, and a doctor at a neurobehavioral facility said that he has "holes in his brain." Nick Buoniconti estimates that he absorbed 520,000 shots to the head over his career. He suffers from falls, memory loss and confusion, and he can no longer tie his shoes or dry himself after a shower. On and on.

Add ~50 lbs to these collisions and try to imagine the state of today's players down the line. It is going to be a veritable vegetable farm. I'm really surprised that someone hasn't died on the field, quite honestly. I think it's only a matter of time. My bold prediction of the day is that the NFL will cease to exist within the next quarter century.

• Options

Yep

mark

• Options

Touchbacks to the 25 suck big time. Talk of dumping the kickoff altogether. Maybe just turn the event into a large video game and nobody gets hurt.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Touchbacks to the 25 suck big time. Talk of dumping the kickoff altogether. Maybe just turn the event into a large video game and nobody gets hurt.

What?

mark

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Typical strawman argument from the Glick, lol..

• Options
    edited May 15, 2017 10:30PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

What?

mark

Do you and Grote ever read a newspaper?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/09/14/roger-goodell-says-eliminating-kickoffs-remains-possible-if-the-nfl-cant-make-them-safer/?

"""The NFL has enacted rule changes to try to make the kickoff safer for players. That effort will continue with further safety-related tinkering with the play, according to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

But if such maneuvers fail, the elimination of the kickoff from the sport remains a future consideration, Goodell said."""

• Options

I'm not sure which side of the fence he is on. Seems to be on both sides.

The rule change had little to no impact. Touch backs were only up by 2% last year

"Kickoffs are some of the most, if not the most, dangerous plays in football with two teams gaining a full head of steam before high-speed collisions all over the field. Some of the most devastating injuries in football history,"

SBNation

Hard to argue that

I can see why they wanted to try the rule change. Didn't work

mark

• Options

So get rid of the kickoffs. Maybe just have Peter Pan fly in and randomly drop the ball. Whoever it lands closest to has possession.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2017 10:42PM

@Coinstartled said:
    So get rid of the kickoffs. Maybe just have Peter Pan fly in and randomly drop the ball. Whoever it lands closest to has possession.

what? You are doing it again. If the forum had concussion protocol you would be sidelined.

mark

• Options

Mark you just made me tinkle

• Options

What!!?? I usually understand the Glick......but hardly ever agree with him.

My question is how was moving the touchback from the 20 to the 25 going to help the collisions between teams running full force at each other???

• Options

As usual, Glicker fails to make much sense but at least he can read a newspaper, lol..

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

My question is how was moving the touchback from the 20 to the 25 going to help the collisions between teams running full force at each other???

Sorry if I was a bit veiled. I recall that the TB was moved from the 20 to the 25 for two reasons. One, it would incentivize the return team to stay in the end zone on a kickoff which would reduce the collisions and hopefully limit the injuries. It was also to increase scoring with less of a field to cover.

Would eliminating kickoffs altogether bother you die hard fans? The game is football but you would still have the ball being kicked on FG attempts and extra points.

I could say that it would cause me to tune out the NFL....but I already have. The issue of altering the game further to protect the snowflakes is in your court, not mine.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Sorry if I was a bit veiled. I recall that the TB was moved from the 20 to the 25 for two reasons. One, it would incentivize the return team to stay in the end zone on a kickoff which would reduce the collisions and hopefully limit the injuries. It was also to increase scoring with less of a field to cover.

Would eliminating kickoffs altogether bother you die hard fans? The game is football but you would still have the ball being kicked on FG attempts and extra points.

I could say that it would cause me to tune out the NFL....but I already have. The issue of altering the game further to protect the snowflakes is in your court, not mine.

snowflakes ? I'd hazard a guess its to protect the NFL from lawsuits , or lower their insurance premiums. The concussion issue is most likely why they are going in this direction.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2017 5:17PM

Ok, Bronco, how would you suggest that this be addressed by the league? How much of a change to the game is too much? Same questions to Justacommem and Dimeman. Grote is busy drooling into his grape nuts so I won't bother him.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Ok, Bronco, how would you suggest that this be addressed by the league? How much of a change to the game is too much? Same questions to Justacommem and Dimeman. Grote is busy drooling into his grape nuts so I won't bother him.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker. Come on if baseball can survive the DH dilemma, hockey the removal of the red line and icing touch up rule and the NBA euro steps and the three point line this isn't such a big deal. Damn that was a long azz sentence.

The game is already maxed out being violent. The fastest guys 30 years ago would be amongst the slowest today. Plus add 30 pounds of muscle and the ability to lift small cars borders on insanity. The game has to change or it will cease to exist. There will be no one left to play it.

mark

• Options
    edited May 16, 2017 8:03PM

Stop presenting rational arguments, Mark. Glicker isn't happy unless he can rail against pink socks, snowflakes and video games. B)

Back to my bowl of Grape Nuts..

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Stop presenting rational arguments, Mark. Glicker isn't happy unless he can rail against pink socks, snowflakes and video games. B)

I always pictured you as a Lucky Charms kind of guy.

Glicker I have as a Shredded Wheat Man

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

I always pictured you as a Lucky Charms kind of guy.

Glicker I have as a Shredded Wheat Man

mark

Shredded wheat soaked in water none of that fancy milk and Maypo when its cold out.

• Options

Plain corn flakes and oatmeal when it is cold.

It would be rather dreary to consider a crucial Monday Night game with no kick offs. Wonder if they would ban punting as well.

60 minutes of NCAA overtime comes to mind.

• Options

I like corn flakes and snowflakes

mark

• Options

i wonder what Tony Romo eats for breakfast