Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why do Canadian 1971/1972 dollars tone so well but not 1967 dollars?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2017 11:29PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is it all due to the cases?

Have any 1967 dollars been stored in those cases and toned well?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 1:33AM

The foam that came in the clam shell with the 1971-1973 cased dollars (50% silver). 1967 dollars not stored in the cases.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Are you talking about the 71/72 Voyageur dollars or the commems? Depending on which of the '71/72 coins minted that you are talking about (circ, specimen, proof or proof-like uncirc) , a 71/72 could either be 100% nickel or .500 silver. The '67's (centennial goose), were all .800 silver. What Don said about the inserts is also true .. the plastics/fuzz in the inserts created lots on weird or damaging tonings.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones that I have owned that have toned to the greatest degree had the foam retained.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 9:15AM

Any toned 1967 I ever had was usually evenly toned. some on one side only and not different than any other toned Dollar pre-1967.
    Am not sure, 1968 TO 1973 and later is a different story altogether. I believe it has much to do with the chemical content of the foam material the mint used to support the coins in the respective container. (Usually it was red and ugly) I had some that looked perfectly and evenly toned on one side while the other side was "chemically" stuck to the coin. None of the coins i had was actually damaged by the stuff as a bit of acetone removed all that seriously ugly red stuff. It is not the cases that caused it, it was the chemicals in the cushion stuff. Also, as SYL indicated, it depends if the coin is all nickel or 50 % silv how it reacted to the chemicals in the cushion.
    I had one set of absolutely gorgeous 1967 issued by the royal trust company as a promotion. the rev side ( shown) was perfectly lightly golden blue toned. the other side was even more outstanding appearing steel-blue gold. However, they had their own container custom made and most likely also the cushion for the coins was properly formed.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 3:35PM

Several reasons:

1. As already mentioned the cases for the commem 1971/1972/1973 $1s had foam liners in them. They were used to prevent the raw coin from bouncing around the case during shipment. Most folks never bothered to remove it once they received the coins. The side of the coin that was in contact with the foam usually was the one with the wild toning. The other side usually has mottled toning. After awhile folks started flipping the coins over in attempt to have both sides wildly toned. Later issues had the coins inserted in a plastic capsule.

2. The packaging for the 1967 $1s came in several variations, none had foam. Coins in the pliofilm sets generally stayed white unless pinholes became present then the coins would tone in small areas. Coins in the cardboard holders would develop dark rim toning. Coins from the proof and specimen sets had a paper insert included with the set often causing only one side to tone. And because the insert was smaller than the case you could find straight edge toning.

3. Another factor is the silver content of the issues. The 1967s are 80% while the 1971/2/3 are 50% silver.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 10:46AM

Good info everyone.

I want to pick up a 1967 but wish it had wilder toning as the 1971-73! The hunt goes on!

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Good info everyone.

I want to pick up a 1967 but wish it had wilder toning as the 1971-73! The hunt goes on!

Put one in a foam case from 1971 and stick in the closet for a few years.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay