Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CNG 105 just concluded

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 10, 2017 2:55PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone have a sense for how the auction performed?

Not much in the auction for me; I had only a few items that I was considering, but in the end only bid on one because the others were no longer low enough to attract me sight-unseen. My lone bid was also a winner:

GERMANY, Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (Herzogtum). August der Jüngere (the Younger). 1635-1666. AR Löser zu 2 Reichstalern (64mm, 57.72 g, 4h). Commemorating his 88th birthday. Zellerfeld mint. Dated 1666 HS. VIRTUTEM FAMA CORONAT AUGVUSTI (sic) AUGUSTAM, bust of August facing, wearing skullcap, two angels above, one crowing August, the other blowing trumpet; all within wreath / A : M : 1666 : ÆTA : 88 : NAT : X APR :, helmet surmounted by arms of Braunschweig facing; ALLES MIT BEDACHT around; all within wreath decorated with fourteen crowned coats-of-arms; 2 stamped below. Davenport 87; Welter 785; KM 482.1. Near EF, toned.

Ex Preussag Collection, purchased from M&M AG, June 1991.

I saw this coin at the NYINC 2016 show; at the time, CNG had two of these 2T pieces from the Preussag Collection with the other having a nicer look and priced at ~ $5K and $6K, respectively: better toning and strike and overall eye appeal. Both went unsold at NYINC. The other 2T sold later from their web site.

At the time (NYINC 2016), @Zohar was having trouble finding stuff to buy so I urged him to consider these two pieces. Months later, with the other one sold, I discussed this piece with him and he discouraged me from buying it citing value/quality versus price. Now, with the drop in overall price levels for German material, I am left still wondering if I got decent value/quality for the price.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought some items were bargains and others exceeded expectations. I may have had some luck on this one as I think I may have actually won some lots.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I thought some items were bargains and others exceeded expectations. I may have had some luck on this one as I think I may have actually won some lots.

Check your email. I got email notification already.

• Options

No email yet... I checked the auction after the close earlier today and still had the high bid on three items. So maybe all the precincts from Cook County were not accounted for yet...

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Guldiner sold at the level I thought it would. A bit banged up yet not that many to chose from.

CNG 105 Lot: 1091. Estimate $5000.
    Sold for $9500. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

AUSTRIA, Holy Roman Empire. Erzherzogtum Österreich (Archduchy of Austria). Sigismund. Archduke, 1446-1490. AR Taler (41mm, 31.66 g, 10h). Hall mint. Dated 1486. Crowned, draped, and armored figure standing facing, holding globe-tipped scepter on shoulder and hilt of sword; to left, coat-of-arms held by lion; to right, crested and crowned helmet / Knight in German Gothic armor, holding banner, on caparisoned horse galloping right; 1486 below; helmet decorated with elaborate crowned crest; coats-of-arms around. Davenport 8087; Moser & Tursky 64; Levinson IV-49a; Frey 274. VF, toned, lightly chased in fields, faint edge marks. An affordable example of the first dated taler.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2017 4:58PM

I managed to win the cover coin (below) on a very reasonable bid but was outbid on a few other ancients.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I don' think you can wrong with that piece. BTW - the straight facing August portraits were quite different for that period. The 5 taler issue of the same year is amazing also.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Now, with the drop in overall price levels for German material,....

I meant to bring out this comment for elaboration. What are your thoughts on the soft german states market?

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see weakness for nice material. Actually, I don't see much nice material in dealer inventories or auction catalogs which have been dull.

• Options

I'm inclined to agree with Zohar. A "soft" market really crushes the value of unexciting stuff. The good stuff is generally still desirable. This has been a true axiom for as long as I can remember: in a down market, the unexciting stuff drops much faster, but in an up market the exciting stuff rises much faster.

• Options

My newp arrived today. I have good news and bad. The good news is that it is nicer than the picture. The bad thing is that I have no PVC-free plastic flip/holder big enough to hold a 64mm-diameter coin.

Any suggestions?

• Options

You could send it in for grading... I sent the 1923 1Billion Mark coin to NGC for grading . Off hand, I believe that is the largest coin I have had graded.

My winnings came today... One apparently got away so I won two of the three. I am pleased with what I won and can be happy for the collector that won the one that got away.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    You could send it in for grading... I sent the 1923 1Billion Mark coin to NGC for grading . Off hand, I believe that is the largest coin I have had graded.

My winnings came today... One apparently got away so I won two of the three. I am pleased with what I won and can be happy for the collector that won the one that got away.

I'm reluctant to have it graded (yet) because I kind of like the size of it to hold and admire. In plastic, it would be too big and annoying.

What did you win?

• Options

Some copper enthusiasts use these hand stitched felt cloth type 2x2s. I believe these are made in various sizes and medal collectors use them for larger medals. I don't recall what the correct name is for what I am trying to describe but I suspect they are available through some hobby supply company online.

As for my winnings, I obtained the 1644A 39mm French Ecu which turned out to be quite pleasing and the 1696N William Half Crown.