Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Can cards not registered be assessed?

Hello
I would like to request an assessment of a Japanese card that is not registered in the PSA database.

Is it possible to request? What kind of cards do you want in Japan?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Not sure I fully understand your query, if you mean will PSA grade a card that they have not registered the answer is no, if it was can a person request that a specific card become registered the answer is yes they can. Hope that helps.

Good for you.
  • Options

How does someone get something "registered" with PSA before they send something in to be graded?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming this is referring to cards/sets that don't have any examples on the pop report. You can try to work with their research department prior to submitting, but it's just as easy to submit with the documentation they need to 'register' it as being able to be graded (though your submission may be delayed and take much longer to get through the grading process).

If the set is currently graded, but no examples of a specific card - normally no issue, just submit as normal. They should already have a complete checklist to grade any cards from the set.

If it's a variation of a card currently graded, it must be recognized in a hobby publication (SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, Beckett article, etc.). Even if you send both versions with an obvious variation, PSA will not recognize it without publication elsewhere.

If the set is not listed in the pop report at all, PSA requires a reference to a hobby publication that includes the checklist. I've been able to get by with a link to online checklists (*) in the Comments section of the submission form, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I usually give it a couple tries since there's no charge if it gets N9'd. Scanning pages from a price guide can work as well or if there was a booklet for the set to be posted in (sticker/stamp book, etc.) scans of front/back of each page.

• I've seen some mentions recently of them not accepting online checklists, and plenty of others that have been graded after that using only online checklists. It can be hit or miss, depending on the specific grader. You can also submit your own checklists to online sites such as tradingcarddb.com ;)