Home Sports Talk

Watching ESPN and wondering what is wrong with the announcers.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struggling with these guys calling the Cleveland vs. Toronto game and coming to the conclusion that ESPN deserves all the trash talk they get from fans around the country. The announcers are supposed to be telling us what's happening in the game right?? They should at least put forth an effort to be impartial, right?? Here is a quick synopsis of two plays that just took place:
Cleveland moves down on offense, cycles the ball to find Kevin Love open --- three points.
Toronto moves down the court and has the ball stolen by Kyle Korver.
Cleveland moves down quickly, passes to find Irving open for three points.
Toronto calls a time-out.
The color guy exclaims "Great time-out"!!!

Honest, it really happened that way.

Now, I'm a Cavs fan, but these announcers are sort of biased and it makes me vrazy sometimes. Just call the freakin' game and stop rooting, for God's sake.

Al H.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they are anti Cavs. They just want a competitive game to keep people tuned in. If the game is not competitive they try to give the impression the losing team may mount a charge. BTW the announcers had a good point. If anyone noticed, the Cavs did not score during the time out.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball season still going.........?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brick, the game was very competitive but Hubie or whatever his name was got all "homey" during the entire last two games. that is even more prevalent in Football and it makes me nuts. an announcer on a Nationally televised game should care who wins.

@keets said:
    Brick, the game was very competitive but Hubie or whatever his name was got all "homey" during the entire last two games. that is even more prevalent in Football and it makes me nuts. an announcer on a Nationally televised game should care who wins.

Growing up listening to Ernie Harwell calling Tigers games, it is difficult to listen to the homers going crazy on every favorable play and whining on each botched play. Probably why I have never warmed up to my local college teams as the announcers are insufferable.

For national announcers to do the same is bewildering.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate when Herbstreit or Musburgher do Michigan games or God forbid a Michigan- OSU game. Unbearable.i like Herbstreit otherwise. Brent not so much

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Here is a quick synopsis of two plays that just took place:
    Cleveland moves down on offense, cycles the ball to find Kevin Love open --- three points.
    Toronto moves down the court and has the ball stolen by Kyle Korver.
    Cleveland moves down quickly, passes to find Irving open for three points.
    Toronto calls a time-out.
    The color guy exclaims "Great time-out"!!!

Honest, it really happened that way.

So....? What's biased about that?

I've heard announcers say that after they announce an important game, they get accused of being biased by fans of both teams.

So....? What's biased about that?

I guess you needed to listen to the whole game to understand what a homer the clown was. whenever Cleveland would do something nice he'd explain why it happened in terms of what Toronto did in a flat, disappointed tone. whenever Toronto did something nice he would explain very excitedly how well they executed. in the closing minutes when the Raptors needed to score he would say what a shame it is that they missed a shot, blah, blah, blah.

check some social media sites, it wasn't just me who picked up on his bias. if you can't announce a game independent of who you would like to win you probably shouldn't be in the booth or on the floor.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh you know who is bad in the booth? Troy Aikman , good thing Romo is going to take over for him B)

I accept that we are going to have ex-jocks in the booth and it's a good thing, we'll also have them on the pre/post game shows, that's also goo. what makes me nuts is homer-ism. I can only assume that the various networks promote it, why else would they tend to have guys cover their previous Teams??

one of the worst pre/post game deals is when Bill Cowher covers Pitssburgh. c'mon, man!!! :D

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone has to be better than Bill Walton.
    He did a KU game this year and talked about everything except the game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

They were making a big deal out of Kyle Lowry being hurt and Toronto still competed anyways. Anything to create drama. Otherwise it's just folks who want to stroke LeBron's ego and get another grunt-filled postgame interview.
    LOL @ Brick.

@keets said:

one of the worst pre/post game deals is when Bill Cowher covers Pitssburgh. c'mon, man!!! :D

The Steelers longest tenured 2nd dumbest coach discussing the steelers 2nd longest tenured most dumbest coach :D

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@keets said:

I guess you needed to listen to the whole game to understand what a homer the clown was. whenever Cleveland would do something nice he'd explain why it happened in terms of what Toronto did in a flat, disappointed tone. whenever Toronto did something nice he would explain very excitedly how well they executed. in the closing minutes when the Raptors needed to score he would say what a shame it is that they missed a shot, blah, blah, blah.

check some social media sites, it wasn't just me who picked up on his bias. if you can't announce a game independent of who you would like to win you probably shouldn't be in the booth or on the floor.

Could it just be a case of an announcer wanting a good, close, series (or game) though? I would think that announcers want to see 7-game series, and close games. Perhaps if Toronto had been big favorites and up 3-0, he would have been pulling for Cleveland.

that would have been just as bad. he shouldn't be "pulling" for anyone.

• SirLurksALotSirLurksALot Posts: 119 ✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Basketball season still going.........?

Like hockey, it never ends. I remember thinking basketball ran from pretty much Halloween until school let out....8 stinkin months to play 82 games and FOUR rounds of postseason games

Easy solution is dropping the playoffs from 16 teams to 8. It would add drama to the whole season and particularly the end when teams fought for the coveted spots. The so called second season would be shaved by a couple of weeks.

@Coinstartled said:
    Easy solution is dropping the playoffs from 16 teams to 8. It would add drama to the whole season and particularly the end when teams fought for the coveted spots. The so called second season would be shaved by a couple of weeks.

Team owners and concession pirates want 1000 game seasons. Its about greed not whether the product is good

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Anyone has to be better than Bill Walton.
    He did a KU game this year and talked about everything except the game.

He is certainly the worst if it's a UCLA game. He rails on UCLA if they make a mistake. He praises them on every good play. It's all about UCLA. Every once in awhile he remembers there is another team playing

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

reducing the Teams would seem like a good idea even though it would anger some fans. with the three Division champs and a wild-card it would probably increase interest at the end of the season. eight seems to be a number that is logical, fans know it. Baseball and Football seem to know it, too, but they cave and have a one game WC playoff for the TV revenue.

it is strange that fans know what the right number of Teams in a playoff should be. the pro's need to have less Teams involved and the NCAA needs to have more to reach the number. why do we know but they don't???