Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jænberht, Archbishop of Canterbury, penny coming to market

This one is one of two known, the other being in the Yorkshire Museum. This penny is special because it does not have King Offa's name on it, suggesting it was struck circa 775 to 779, a brief period when Kent reasserted its independence from Mercia.

Sadly, I am neither a consignor nor a bidder of this.

Coin World article

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you rather be a bidder (assuming a winning one) or the consigner?

I'm a bit surprised that one didn't get declared a bit of treasure by one of the British museums (or however they do that). It will be interesting to see how that bidding goes!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    Would you rather be a bidder (assuming a winning one) or the consigner?

I'm a bit surprised that one didn't get declared a bit of treasure by one of the British museums (or however they do that). It will be interesting to see how that bidding goes!

At this point, my focus is elsewhere so I guess consignor. But, it looks like a great coin so if I found it, I'd probably just keep it. Short answer: yes. :wink:

I don't know the UK laws on treasure and finds...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a super nice coin for a metal detector find. Ya have to wonder if it went through the proper channels regarding treasure. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled from the auction by the government! Perhaps someone should ask the auction house if it is legal to own.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Even if it is not declared a national treasure the winning bidder might not be allowed to remove it from Great Britain. Happened to Allan Davisson once.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's in quite nice shape, almost doesn't look real.

@farthing said:
    Even if it is not declared a national treasure the winning bidder might not be allowed to remove it from Great Britain. Happened to Allan Davisson once.

That was the unique gold Coenwulf mancus. Another coin in such nice shape it almost didn't look real.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@farthing said:

It was the gold Offa penny, and I am not sure how that one slipped like it did.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW.

Even if it is declared treasure trove by the crown, the finder's gonna get paid!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.