Home Sports Talk
Options

Adam Jones receving racial slurs and taunts in Boston

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it appears that some idiot(s) were abusive to Adam Jones in a recent Orioles-Red Sox game at Fenway Park in Boston. Jones claims the "N" word was used and a bag of peanuts was tossed at him from (one assumes) the bleacher area. I seriously doubt that Jones would make such a claim without merit, so, I believe his story.

Sadly, one, or a handful of losers run their mouths and Red Sox Nation gets the black eye. It is beyond pathetic when such verbal abuse is used in a sports environment at any time, any venue, or any sport. I haven't seen details, but if the perpetrator(s) were located, I hope they are banned for life from Fenway Park.

Having attended my fair share of Red Sox - Yankees games in Fenway, the "back and forth" did reach the levels of chanting "Yankees suck", but not any higher that I witnessed. Most of it because of the intense rivalry over the decades between the two clubs. I have also seen on several occasions the Yankee's pitcher receive a standing ovation after being taken out of the game...respect for his abilities. Rivera and Jeter always got applause, especially Rivera.

I must say, that I did see the clip of Jones getting a standing ovation from the Red Sox Faithful...it would have been classic for him to tip his cap to acknowledge the crowd, but he merely gave a nod to the pitcher and the game went on.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

**Sadly, one, or a handful of losers run their mouths and Red Sox Nation gets the black eye. **

it's reminiscent of what happened last year in Toronto, just a handful of fans. at least here in Cleveland whenever the fans are abusive it's the entire stadium full, like those many years ago at "Nickel Beer Night" in old Municipal Stadium.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish we could go back to the days when fans would hurl D cell batteries at players they didn't like instead of racial slurs. :D

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

another classic fan revolt was during an NFL game in old Municipal Stadium, the one and only time when the refs initiated a review after a play had already been run. there was about two minutes left in the game which had playoff implications --- things got so bad that the refs called the game and then were lucky to get off the field alive.

there's a YouTube video of the whole thing.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't know that PacMan was a two sport guy.

;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Didn't know that PacMan was a two sport guy.

;)

There is also a sports radio guy named Adam Jones . All three are idiots

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Identified this AM on national news station as "Alex" Jones...hard to believe. Apparently the fan in question was identified and in fact banned for life from Fenway.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I wish we could go back to the days when fans would hurl D cell batteries at players they didn't like instead of racial slurs. :D

"Instead of"? Racial slurs have been thrown at ballplayers the first pitch was thrown.