Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Couple new pickups London Promissory Tokens (Kempson's building series)

Any experts out there wish to contribute the backstory to these tokens? I know very basic info, but in hand these are gorgeous -- they spoke to me and I just had to have them :)

1796-7 London Penny Token, Kempson's London Buildings series featuring the Royal Exchange (no edge markings)
1796 Great Britain-Middlesex Penny Token, Kempson's London Buildings series featuring the Guild-Hall (edge markings)

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy : There is an entire book on the subject. I'll see if I can scan the pages relating to your two pieces from my copy and post here.

:+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

than you!! :innocent:

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't dated 1869! :D

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin LOL, you're right...

I have two sets, the second one I do with my son (19). The latter is really collecting numismatic curiosities, so it's really a catch-all for anything that we both find interesting ;)

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Manufactured by Peter Kempson, the diesinker was Thomas Wyon. The Royal Exchange token is catalogued by Richard Dalton and Samuel Hamer in The Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century as Middles*x 65, while the Guild-Hall token is Middlesex 42. Both are rated as Common and made for collectors of the day.
    Peter Kempson did a number of different building and church series of collector tokens in both penny and half penny size. These include series of buildings in Bath, Birmingham, Coventry, Gloucester, and London. As they were not meant for general commerce these tokens can be found in nice collector grades and any wear is likely due to cabinet wear.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm