Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Picked up a couple of 1929 Ruth's this week

Got a tip from a fellow collector about these cards, and had never heard of them before. Came out of the 1929 Churchman set, and what drew me to the cards was the neat artwork they used on these. Cards look like a painting - albeit a very small painting :) Found one and picked up another for Jr's collection as well - pretty sure he is getting the one with the lower grade!

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Great layout and and design on those cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Tim. I am sure you have a cello pack somewhere in your stash of a 1929 Churchman!

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Very very nice. I haven't seen those before. Maybe I should start look for it. I like cards like this, that seem to be from a painting or a painting. I like the old Turkey Reds too.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool looking card for sure. Nice addition congrats.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 7:36PM

Dude, I told you not to tell anyone about that card until I could buy all the rest— and then set all of them but one on fire on YouTube!

Seriously though, not only is that one of the prettiest pictures on a baseball card, but it is one of the best values in our hobby; a prime playing days depiction of Ruth, that costs just a fraction of its peers.

I went ahead and bought the set for my son, who loves the pictures of hunters with bows and arrows, and other cool sporting images. Just great craftsmanship.

Its equally pretty cousin is this depiction of George Sisler, a great card to represent the man who posted a nasty season highlighted by a .420 average back in '22...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

As always every one of Matt's cards are dead centered!

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Those are some pretty cool looking cards!

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

good looking 6 and a cool artistic set all the way around!

the ski jumping, bull fighting and pig sticking cards are prolly my favs.

used to be a guy on here that had a thread going on these random oddball-type cards.

dont recall which forum though. might be a nightmare trying to find the thread via iPhone

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

but whatever you do, kc dont take it to the national and get it reviewed!

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Those are some pretty cool looking cards!

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice cards. Congrats.

@muffins said:
    but whatever you do, kc dont take it to the national and get it reviewed!

Almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this! Actually I will and will have one table set up just to display the two cards. Can't wait for the Natty - less than 3 months and counting... Christmas in July :D

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad it got to you so quickly ;)

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Dude, I told you not to tell anyone about that card until I could buy all the rest— and then set all of them but one on fire on YouTube!

Seriously though, not only is that one of the prettiest pictures on a baseball card, but it is one of the best values in our hobby; a prime playing days depiction of Ruth, that costs just a fraction of its peers.

I went ahead and bought the set for my son, who loves the pictures of hunters with bows and arrows, and other cool sporting images. Just great craftsmanship.

Its equally pretty cousin is this depiction of George Sisler, a great card to represent the man who posted a nasty season highlighted by a .420 average back in '22...

Agreed on these cards going well together. I've collected what I find to be an interesting grouping put together of similar baseball items from the tobacco era and slightly afterwards that all work as sort of a set IMO:

1900 W.D. & H.O. Wills - Sports of All Nations - Bird's Eye - 33 America/Baseball
    1900 W.D. & H.O. Wills - Sports of All Nations - Three Castles - 33 America/Baseball
    1917 British American Tobacco - Sports of the World - Coloured Front - Baseball
    1917 British American Tobacco - Sports of the World - Brown Front - Baseball
    1917 W.D. & H.O. Wills - Sports of the World - 26 Baseball
    1925 A. Boguslavsky Ltd. / Turf Cigarettes - Sports Records - 50 Baseball (George Sisler)
    1929 W.A. & A.C. Churchman - Sports and Games in Many Lands - 25 Baseball/U.S.A. (Babe Ruth)
    1930 British American Tobacco Co. - Sports and Games in Many Lands - 25 Baseball/U.S.A. (Babe Ruth)
    1933 Trumpf Chocolate - Durch Alle Welt - Album C, Serie 16 - Baseball (America)
    1934 R & J Hill Ltd. - Sports - 48 Baseball (Tris Speaker)
    1935 Edwards, Ringer & Bigg - Sports and Games in Many Lands - 25 Baseball/U.S.A. (Babe Ruth)
    1936 A.W. Allen Ltd Sports & Flags of Nations - Cure-'Em-Quick Back - 16 America/Baseball
    1936 A.W. Allen Ltd Sports & Flags of Nations - Irish Moss Back - 16 America/Baseball
    1936 A.W. Allen Ltd Sports & Flags of Nations - Q-T Fruit Drops Back - 16 America/Baseball
    1936 A.W. Allen Ltd Sports & Flags of Nations - Steam Rollers Back - 16 America/Baseball
    1936 United Tobacco Co. - Sports & Pastimes in South Africa - 18 Baseball
    1936 Yramos/Dresden - Sommer-Olympiade 1936 - Serie F - 61 Baseball
    1945-47 Kellogg's All-Wheat - Sports Histories - 1 Baseball (Babe Ruth's Home Run Record)
    1951 Liebig, S.A. - Lo Sport Nel Mondo - 3 Il "Baseball" In America (Ted Williams)
    1962 Dickson Orde & Co. - Sports of the Countries - Small Font (19mm) - 11 America (Babe Ruth)
    1962 Dickson Orde & Co. - Sports of the Countries - Large Font (22mm) - 11 America (Babe Ruth)

There are a ton of other cards that could fit in with this grouping. For some reason these have caught my interest.

• I like this card a lot and am wondering where does it say this card is Babe Ruth? It doesn't appear to say that on the front or on the back.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always loved the look of this card.

Congrats on your pickups. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)