Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just got back my first PSA submission. What is N5: ALTERED STOCK

I bought this card back in 1989-92 or so when I was a young teen. Back then I just bought a card or cards. Fast forward 25+ years later, I have thousands of NHL cards. I picked the cream of my crop and sent them into PSA a week or so ago. I was 9-16 when I collected, I don't have anything special.

I'm not happy or sad about my submission, a little bit happy i guess, but I'm perplexed by the N5: ALTERED STOCK for the Mario RC I submitted ( I submitted 2 of them). I googled it, and found 10 different answers. I'm sure which card they are meaning . I had a Mario RC with a dent in the side. I was guessing PSA 5 or so. Can someone explain Altered Stock?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 8:57PM

My guess to start is you had the card in a screw down holder. Those are the absolute worst thing you can put a card in. Don't feel discouraged because we all did it. We put the very best cards we owned in them. The reason being that the card can become smashed over time or actually lose corners measure-able and caught enough by PSA. If you did neither of those and for sure bought the actual packs they were pulled from then your guess is as good as mine and including google's apparently. I would resend if you are undoubtedly confident and want the marino in a holder. Obviously a PSA 5 isn't worth much especially with 2 grading fees so is it because it is "your card" that you are holdering? If so, I think it would be worth giving it another go, otherwise just buy a PSA 8 for $35-40 and be done.

*FWIW, I have submitted and resubmitted several "altered stock" / "smashed cards from screw downs" before and have gotten them to pass. This proves it is possible it was a one-off time they would catch it or maybe even the card will swell back to measure-ability being less noticeable--but that is just a crazy theory.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    I would resend if you are undoubtedly confident and want the marino in a holder. Obviously a PSA 5 isn't worth much especially with 2 grading fees so is it because it is "your card" that you are holdering? If so, I think it would be worth giving it another go, otherwise just buy a PSA 8 for $35-40 and be done.

._

Mario, not Marino. He's talking NHL here, not NFL. A PSA 8 Mario RC will run you a lot more than $35 to $40.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@secretstash said:
    I would resend if you are undoubtedly confident and want the marino in a holder. Obviously a PSA 5 isn't worth much especially with 2 grading fees so is it because it is "your card" that you are holdering? If so, I think it would be worth giving it another go, otherwise just buy a PSA 8 for $35-40 and be done.

._

Mario, not Marino. He's talking NHL here, not NFL. A PSA 8 Mario RC will run you a lot more than $35 to $40.

Yes, that is what I was talking about Lemieux, not that pet detector actor. Geez what a mistake on my part. Sorry guys.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@secretstash said:

._

lol true. I did think he meant Marino. HA!

Was it in a screw down though??? I would guess that is why "altered stock" was sent back.

• Options

I had it in a thicker thank normal slip in card container. I don't' know what else to call it, I had it for 25+ years when I was in High School. I graduated in '94, I got this card 1-3 years before that. It was 100% not a screw in holder. I don't own any of those. I wish i had a pic of it. Perhaps when I get I back I'll post a pic of it. It had a small triangle dent in the right side, I remember that. That;'s what I guessed PSA5. I'm not a grader, I don't know.

• Options

I appreciate all the responses, thanks for you help. I'll post a pick when I get it back. I just wish PSA would say N5: ALTERED STOCK and give a definition.

• Options

I didn't alter it. Did they? PSA, did USPS? I have know idea. The more messages I get have me wondering now. I thought I could send in 15 cards and that was it.

Just grade the damn card, isn't that what I paid for? Unless N5 means fake, then I understand that. But I have no idea what N5 means?

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2017 8:20AM

@ghigh said:
    Just grade the damn card, isn't that what I paid for? Unless N5 means fake, then I understand that. >But I have no idea what N5 means?

You could have looked up the answers to these questions easily enough. Yes, you did pay to have your card graded, but it didn't pass one of the first two steps.

--
    A series of PSA graders review your cards for authenticity. If genuine, PSA looks for evidence of doctoring, such as re-coloring or trimming.

If your cards pass these two steps, PSA experts grade the condition of each card on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best.
    https://www.psacard.com/services/tradingcardgrading/

--
    If the grade of your card is available and is listed with one of the following grades, this card was determined to be ungradable for the following reasons.

N-1 Evidence of Trimming - When a card's edge appears to have been altered. A card doctor may use scissors, scalpel, cutter, or any other sharp instrument. A card that appears trimmed: A hooked appearance along the edge, unusually sharp or uncommon edges for the issue, an inconsistent tone to the color of the edge in question or a wavy, unnatural look to the edges.

N-2 Evidence of Restoration - When a card's paper stock appears to have been built up - for example, when ripped corners are built up to look like new corners.

N-3 Evidence of Recoloration - Where a card's color appears to have been artificially improved.

N-4 Questionable Authenticity - This is the term used when a card appears to be counterfeit or the autograph is deemed to be unauthentic.

N-5 Altered Stock - This includes, but is not limited to characteristics on the card that appear to show some form of alteration such as paper restoration, crease/wrinkle pressing or enhanced gloss.

N-6 Minimum Size Requirement - When a card is significantly undersized according to factory specifications. You will not be charged the grading fee.

N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains.

N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. You will not be charged the grading fee.

N-9 Don't Grade - When we do not grade an issue. The cards may be oversized or an obscure issue. You will not be charged the grading fee.

N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.

AA Authentic Altered - This means that while PSA is certifying that the item is genuine, due to the existence of alterations, the item cannot receive a numerical grade. The term altered may mean that the card shows evidence of one or more of the following: trimming, recoloring, restoration, and/or cleaning. Items receiving the "Authentic Altered" designation, in our opinion, are genuine with the presence of some type of alteration. This is done on a case-by-case basis only, and must be notated on the submission form at the time of submission.
    https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/#cards

• Options

@secretstash said:
    My guess to start is you had the card in a screw down holder. Those are the absolute worst thing you can put a card in. Don't feel discouraged because we all did it. We put the very best cards we owned in them. The reason being that the card can become smashed over time or actually lose corners measure-able and caught enough by PSA. If you did neither of those and for sure bought the actual packs they were pulled from then your guess is as good as mine and including google's apparently. I would resend if you are undoubtedly confident and want the marino in a holder. Obviously a PSA 5 isn't worth much especially with 2 grading fees so is it because it is "your card" that you are holdering? If so, I think it would be worth giving it another go, otherwise just buy a PSA 8 for $35-40 and be done.

I had exactly this happen. Sent in my first submission that included a 1976 Payton in nice shape (a touch off center but otherwise pretty good) got back the Altered stock ungradable answer, as it had been in a screw down holder for 10+ years. Dammit!!! I got a 1981 Montana in the same boat... Who knew...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a certain $ amount, PSA should give an explanation of why a card is not graded.

I feel your pain!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Take those cards out and let them sit out somewhere humid for a month and then resubmit.