Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How can they do it ?

Not sure if you can mention dealers names on this site so I won't, one of the largest baseball card dealers on eBay bought one of my PSA 6 cards, marked it up 5x and put it back for sale. Their selling cards that normally cost $20 for $100. Same card selling from another lesser know dealer selling for $25. Why would anyone buy the same PSA 6 card and spend $75-$80 more for it? Just stupid.........?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Some collectors enjoy buying from people they know

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

This is how to become one of the largest baseball card dealers. You buy small things and make them grow.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said:
    Not sure if you can mention dealers names on this site so I won't, one of the largest baseball card dealers on eBay bought one of my PSA 6 cards, marked it up 5x and put it back for sale. Their selling cards that normally cost $20 for $100. Same card selling from another lesser know dealer selling for $25. Why would anyone buy the same PSA 6 card and spend $75-$80 more for it? Just stupid.........?

Thanks

The OP wasn't exactly clear: is it that the item did actually sell at the 5x higher price, or is it that they just relisted the item with the higher price but it is still available and may theoretically not sell at that price for a long time?

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The card was a $15 card, big time card dealer bought it from me for $20, now trying to selling same card for $100. Don't think he will get that price, other sellers have same card for sale at $25.

Why even try to sell a $15-$25 card for $100?

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

If this is who I think it it is, the have. 1995 Topps Bagwell PSA that I need, but not paying $47.99 for it!!

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Who cares if they sell for higher. The thing is sold. Move on. Free market. If it works for them....good. if not, they will learn from it. Also, price is not everything in collecting...

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Big budget. Some sellers can look years ahead when thinking a card might sell. Even decades.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Who cares if they sell for higher. The thing is sold. Move on. Free market. If it works for them....good. if not, they will learn from it. Also, price is not everything in collecting...

Thanks ! I'm over it and moving on with my life. Just a point of discussion.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said:

The card was a $15 card, big time card dealer bought it from me for $20..........
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

How dare he try to overprice it after you already did.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Reversed polarity for 1000 please, Alex.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

As a seller I do the same, but with books. If I pay $20 for a book then I'm listing it for at least $100. If I buy five books for $20 per, sell one at $100, then that sale pays for the other four. Keep doing this and before you know it you will have an immense inventory of items you didn't actually fork out any money for.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I think I know who the OP is referring to. I once emailed him regarding a $10 raw card he was asking $150 for, if he would consider a lower price. He responded that his price was fair and "in line with current sales." Too bad the next closest comp was $17.50.