Home Sports Talk
Options

And it is finally NFL Draft Day.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully it will bring to an end all the gossip, mis-information, speculation and silly press conferences with everyone wanting to know exactly who the Cleveland Browns will pick at #1. It brings to mind Drafts of the past when a Team would commit to a specific guy and, maybe my memory is off, but actually sign him prior to the event. My only hope is that the Browns DON'T pick a QB, not even if he is a good "prospect" and a Hometown favorite.

From MyLoftyPerch the Browns worked too hard to get the #1 pick to waste it on QB.

Someone who is more informed than me could list the names of stellar QB's who came in later rounds accompanied by a list of First Round flops, throwing in the average guys who have very unspectacular careers. You should know what I mean, right??

Am I the only one who believes that a Team should focus on the other 21 starters first and then use a #1 for the last piece?? I sure hope I ain't. Cleveland is in a good position to help themselves out with other "needs" and then allow some journeyman to QB as they build and shape the Team. It isn't like anyone they pick at any position is going to suddenly propel them into the playoffs, but picking a QB from who is available certainly shouldn't even be discussed in their front office. I guess it goes to show just how badly managed the organization is right now, and has been in the past.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

QB either makes a team or kills it. Choosing the right one?....that is the difficulty.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Badly managed for decades, Al. The needs are many on this team for sure.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the big jimmy G trade happens tonight. He would be a better QB than Cleveland could ever pick for themselves .

• Options

on the current Browns Team a QB will neither make or break the Team. in fact, the use of the pick is, from MyLoftyPerch, such an important one that to risk it on a QB in this draft could be a disaster. the Team has so many needs that they should address them before going after a QB.

the local media has been reporting that "analytics guru" Sashi Brown has stated the pick was made about two weeks ago, the Browns are locked in on who they'll draft. that has me worried that they'll take Trubiski. should that happen, after I get off my crying jag I'll watch Kevin Costner in Draft Day.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always root for the Browns. I hope they trade out of both first round picks and move down and accumulate picks. It's a deep draft and thin at the top.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I hope the entire Browns organization realized they need to invite Kevin Costner to their War Room so he can run the show.

• Options

Wow what a coup for SF. They get 3 additional picks and only had to move back one spot and get they guy they were going to draft anyways.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I always root for the Browns. I hope they trade out of both first round picks and move down and accumulate picks. It's a deep draft and thin at the top.

mark

The Seahawks did this and scored a ton of picks. Great move by them as they haven't had a first round pick in 5 or 6 years.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Browns did well tonight, feels weird to say. Garrett and Njoku are both solid picks. Not completely sold on Peppers, I still think he is more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. But he's not the worst selection either. I think the Redskins and 49ers got the steals of the 1st round. Allen and Foster dropping as low as they did allowed both teams to get some really good defensive players much later than most thought. I also thought a bunch of teams really reached for quarterbacks. Not great options this year, yet teams still traded up for them. The high number of offensive players taken early allowed teams in the later rounds to get some really good defensive players.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2017 3:33AM

well, I rested easy and left the DVD player off!!!!

had an enthusiastic discussion with a customer at work, both of us taking opposing positions on the QB position. he feels that you need to have that spot filled with a "great" player and then build the Team around him. I couldn't disagree more --- when a Team such as Cleveland is wanting at so many places in their line-up I feel the prudent thing to do is build the Team, use the QB's you have and the free agents available.

the Browns did a good job with their salary cap this off-season, picked up a few OL. now they have started the Draft by taking some defensive players while also trading out of #12 for additional picks, this year and next. they are positioned to "build" and wait for a better choice if they think they need to draft a QB high.

my recipe for their success is Offensive/Defensive Lineman and Team speed, spend the ample cap money wisely on free agents and acquire draft picks to move forward to a better QB. today should be interesting.

• Options

Loved the Browns draft. They landed 3 opening day starters

mark

• Options

Mark, I didn't watch it live and checked late when I woke up around 1-2AM. what did they do??

if I understand, they were hoping that Trubisky was gonna be around at #12, and when the Bears took him is that when they traded with ?Green Bay? for the later picks?? Peppers fits the bill for my "speed" requirement and he should help the DB's even as a rookie.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 1:54PM

I actually forgot the Pats didn't have the 32nd pick and asked a guy at work today who they grabbed and he reminded me. We both laughed and then promptly agreed it didn't matter because they will at least be in the AFC championship game again this season lol

• Options

@keets said:
    Mark, I didn't watch it live and checked late when I woke up around 1-2AM. what did they do??

if I understand, they were hoping that Trubisky was gonna be around at #12, and when the Bears took him is that when they traded with ?Green Bay? for the later picks?? Peppers fits the bill for my "speed" requirement and he should help the DB's even as a rookie.

Right before the 12th pick of the draft the Browns dealt the pick to the Texans for Houston's 25th overall pick ( the snatched Peppers here) and a 2018 first-round pick. The Texans used the 12th pick to draft Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson. Obviously the Browns didn't think that Watson was worth the 12th pick in the draft. I think they are stock piling picks to go after Jimmy G.

mark

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The browns always seem to make the mistake by overlooking ohio state players. And it usually ends up hurting them.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland did very well in the first round. Still need a QB. You can have an awesome defense (not saying they do, of course), but this is a QB-centric game these days.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland needs to shore up the offensive line before they go after a QB. They give up way to many sacks, and have too many injuries.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Brick, they worked on that already with free agent signings and the tight end pick.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Brick, they worked on that already with free agent signings and the tight end pick.

I just had a wry smile reading that. I do hope the Browns win more than one this year and trust that they will (parity, right?). Still, they have lots to do, everywhere. Draft is going well for them, but how could it not? (unless they chose Trubisky with first pick?)

• Options

they signed a few OL's and probably made the TE pick as much for blocking ability as receiving. both lines are their biggest concerns, and hence, the focus with their picks and free agency.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2017 12:17PM

The Titans and Raiders are setting themselves up nicely. Like what the Ravens have done so far. Looks like I will be rooting for the Cowboys this year with the two Wolverines they drafted and will start. Speaking of that so far Alabama and Michigan have had the most players drafted at 10.

Nice draft for the Browns and I trust the Patriots got all the system players they always draft. Bill is a genius.

Mark

• Options

Mark, the "system draft" you mention is the advantage that Teams like the Patriots and Steelers have, they keep the same Head Coach and the same game philosophy in place which makes things much easier and continuing. Teams like the Browns are so stupid they can't get out of their own way, repeatedly changing Head Coaches and organization.

I have railed against that for years to any of my hometown fans/friends who care to listen. since Art Modell sold the city down the river to Baltimore the fans here are so desperate for anything that resembles success that they lose sight of how to do that. I have held our chief rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers, as an example of how to achieve success, they just do it right. the Browns front office will bring in a new Coach with a new game philosophy that needs different players than what he has inherited and the whole thing starts anew, every 2-3 years.

it is pathetically hopeless and predictable.

they look right now to have maybe, just maybe "seen the light" and are willing to suck really bad for a couple of years to eventually be good. I think they had like 20-30 rookies on the roster last year and a large number starting: they increased the number of likely starters by releasing some veteran players and drafting their replacements. the Front Office may be moving in the direction of your described "system" with a Coach that they will allow the time to let it work.

an even better example than the current day Patriots is the Pittsburgh Steelers of the late 1960's into their dynasty days of the 70's. Art Rooney brought in a guy by the name of Chuck Noll. he was strangely groomed for the position by Paul Brown during his playing days as the "messenger" guard and eventually did his apprenticeship under an old playing pal, Don Shula with the Dolphins. talk about an impressive pedigree!!!!

the Steelers sucked bad, bad, bad for a few years, but the stick-to-it-iveness of Rooney paid off. had things been a little different the Browns may have taken their old alumnus when Blanton Collier retired in 1970. history is a funny thing in the way it is written. when I was younger we liked to say that "If one thing was different, nothing would be the same" and that applies to Football very well.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 5:11AM

My pathetic and dysfunctional team ... The Redskins ... stole (IMHO) Jonathan Allen at #17. I know he fell due to concerns on his shoulders, but geez this guy seems like a great potential upside pick, esp in the middle of the 1st round. The Redskins do suck tho -- mostly due to Dan Synder being such an idiot. Being a Redskins fan is a bit like rooting for a team that was conceived in an insane asylum. As a fan, I go way back though, to the Vince Lombardi year of 1969. It was a fun run, George Allen, then Joe Gibbs. After 1993 its been the dark night of soul.

• Options

the Redskins in the 60's were a Team ahead of their time --- led by Sonny Jurgenson with guys like Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor to throw to, the 'Skins perfected a "West Coast" offensive game before Bill Walsh "invented" it with the 49ers. they ran short down-and-out and over-the-middle routes that we mimicked in pickup games. with his two speedy recievers there was always the chance of turning a 5-10 yard throw into a 40 yard gain.

sound familiar?? that's because everything that is in use today is only recycled from the old days.