Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WTF... I will legit never spend money on a 1-of-1 again!!!

What the heck happened here? How is this even possible? How can this even be allowed to exist in the hobby?

The PSA/DNA blue flip clearly appears to be the same card, but instead of being numbered 1/1, it has an MLB authenticated sticker in it's place? The card also appears to have a modern Mike Trout signature... not a 2011-ish autograph!

So much wrong here... geez... shm :(:(:(

Legit 1/1
ebay.com/itm/MIKE-TROUT-1-1-SUPERFRACTOR-RC-AUTO-TRUE-1-1-2011-TOPPS-FINEST-/311823776185?hash=item489a2539b9:g:WZIAAOSwWxNYyJKV

Same 1/1, but not a 1/1, but it's a legit card?!?!?
ebay.com/itm/Mike-Trout-2011-Topps-Finest-Superfractor-RC-Signed-AUTOGRAPHED-PSA-DNA-9-Mint-/292083140729?hash=item4401830879:g:Rt8AAOSwB-1Y7Rbs

Yeah, I'm done with this type of nonsense... Topps... go figure :(

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Purchased from Topps back door unsigned...

Shame on you TOPPS!!!

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Or it's cut from a sheet?

• Options

@byronscott4ever said:
    Or it's cut from a sheet?

No, he has in the description that he purchased the card from Topps through the back door unsigned.

Topps be shady as hell I guess

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Is this normal?

_> Just want to clarify where this card came from as there have been a lot of questions in regards to this being the 1/1 inserted in the packs. This card is a Topps Proto-type that was purchased from Topps back door unsigned and without the 1/1 stamp. Then I had it signed by Mike Trout at a signing that he did. This card is nearly identical to the $25,000 1/1 listed on ebay, the only difference is that it did not come in a pack, and it does not have the 1/1 on the back. _

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2017 6:47AM

I wouldn't think this is normal. Geez, I hope it's not normal.

The cards aren't nearly identical... they are identical, sans the 1/1 stamp. It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of trouble to get an identical 1/1 stamp applied to the card. Kudos, at least, to the seller of the current card for not going that route.

Conversely, if I was the true owner of the legitimate, pack-pulled 1/1... I'd be very upset that Topps allowed 2 versions of the exact same superfractor to find its way into the free market.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuff has been coming out the "back door" from Topps (and all the other companies who manufacture collectibles) forever! I have a 1967 Standup that most certainly wasn't from a pack, and it's one of my favorite "cards". Graded as authentic by PSA too!

I don't see the sanity in the newer autographed cards going for thousands of dollars. If you have $20,000.00 (or more) to spend on a single card you can claim is "1 of 1" and aren't aware of the hobby facts, I am sorry, but I just don't have any sympathy for you. What happens if Mike Trout, in this example, ever gets caught on video doing something "inappropriate"?

The stamped 1 of 1 is obviously still a one of a kind item.

I got sick of the manufactured rarities about 15 years ago. Same card with a little extra gloss, maybe a different color background and a number stamped on it? It wasn't bad at first when there would be one parallel set or an insert here and there, but now it's 1 of 500, 1 of 250, 1of 100, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing how you have fun collecting. I wish I had the extra funds to spend on the hobby.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea where Topps prints their cards? Guessing a lot of "waste" could go out the door easily.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Found a while back many if it not most if not all 1/1's have the same card numbered to 10, 25 etc so is it a true 1/1 if the same card exists, only numbered differently?

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Topps subcontracts out the printing. Probably half a dozen cards of every card is made to test the print quality.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I used to work at a printing company and we were printing the new Harry Potter books. We had to hire security guards at the end of each press to make sure that no one took a book or even opened it up to reads the last few pages. Topps should do something like this.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Note to self.... good advice from OP

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al