Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Finally completed my Luis Tiant Master Set

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 5++ years and a lot of wondering if I'd ever get to this point, I got my last card yesterday. It's a 104 card set with some very tough cards, especially the Venezuelan's and a few obscure issues.

As those of you who work on Master Sets know, the challenge can be daunting, but I guess persistence is the key. There were a lot of time gaps and an occasional Composition change, which made the hill a bit higher, but, I got to the top.

Tiant was a huge fan faviorite in Boston during his prime in the 70s. Chants of Louie, Louie were heard when he pitched and his delivery of almost looking at the center fielder before pitching was his trademark.

Nice feeling to have the set locked up.

Comments

• RobbyRobby Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I don't want to alarm or upset you ......................but it''s not over until '" The Fat Lady Sings " her last song April 30th !

4/14/17
    2017 PSA & PSA/DNA Set Registry Awards
    The 2017 PSA & PSA/DNA Set Registry Awards deadline is Wednesday, May 31st. As in previous years, the cut-off for New Slot requests to existing set composites is April 30th. We will guarantee that the items requested by Aptil 30th, if approved, will be added to the set composites prior to the awards deadline.

Hopefully no new additions will happen ..........but..................the possibility is still there ! I hold my breath until then ! I've contacted Cosetta in the past after the deadline date to inquire if any new additions are in the hopper before the May 31st Registry Award deadline ! Make sure no " new " additions have been approved !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • toppsfootballtoppsfootball Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Congrats on a beautiful set! So as I would assume with all player sets, composition changes could occur weekly, monthly, etc. So an addition that I won't be adding as I don't collect the Tiant set but a Tiant card I want you to be aware of and look for is the 1976 Hostess Twinkie Tiant. It's a toughie. It's the same card as the hostess card except the twinkie card has the black bar on the back. I was lucky enough to buy mine with other twinkie cards a few years ago for my Twinkies set and it's the only graded Twinkie Tiant (PSA 9) at this time. Again congrats on a beautiful set!

Matt P.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not concerned or interested in the Registry Awards thing. I just wanted to finish the set and let the accomplishment speak for itself, but, I appreciate the info.

Well, Matt, I'll be keeping an eye out for that Twinkie card...should you come across one, pls post here and I'll try to snag it. Tks for not adding it to the comp!! Tks also for the compliment.

Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong when creating a digital set, I'll get them all scanned in properly.

Al

• ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Congrats...I lived outside Boston from 1975 through 1986 and fondly remember the days of Tiant and Bill Lee towing the mound in the late 1970s...

As we all know these player sets can change all the time. ...You are aware that the Tiant 1979 wiffle is not on he registry set yet. This is he disk with the dotted lines that was printed on he box. ...Don't worry I do not have a Tiant set so I will not be submitting it. ..but Im sure someone will eventually...

How'd you like to have the #1 MAntle set and have others loading matchbook covers, key chain inserts and "1961-1963 BOBBIN' HEAD DOLLS MICKEY MANTLE (AD PHOTO)" and all sorts of other crap onto the master set.

Phil...I was born and raised in Lowell. Spent many a summer day at Winnepesaukee and the lakes region, along with Hampton, Salisbury beaches and of course the Cape from time to time. Still have relatives in the Nashua and Loudon areas in New Hampshire, as well as Norwood, MA. Left home at 18 to join the Army and "see the world"...I got more than an eye full a few years later when I woke up in Vietnam! I'm most fortunate to have survived that experience in the 1st Infantry Division.

Yes, I'm very well aware of the dotted line Tiant. I'll keep my eye out, but doubt I'll find one any time soon. Like you and everyone else, I have no control over what goes into the Tiant Master. Sad to see so much trash added to Master Sets...I really struggled to get one card that simply had a variance in where the thing was printed, and the font was in about a 4 pitch, if that. I did it for the challenge, and the acknowledgement somewhere within PSA that I have the best Tiant and Bill Lee Master Sets is of little interest to me.

What a mess that Wiffle thing ! Kudos to you for having spent your time trying to convince PSA (no easy task) that only 1978s and 79s exist. What a mess in the POP arena.

Tks for not putting your dotted Tiant into the Master.

Al

• bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Don't forget about his 1982 Topps Blackless :) One of my favorite oddball sets. These are some I picked up cheap for my HOF & stars pc. Looks like Tiant has one graded too. Awesome set man!

Tks for the tip on the blackless....I think. ;) Not sure how I missed that one after all these years. I'll keep an eye out, but not for the one up now.
    And, tks for the comment.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one in the completed auctions from last week looks like a decent one, for 2/3 the price of the one that is up now. Bummer that its a few days too late!

• bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

I would snatch it up if i were you. At $15 that's still pretty cheap for a card that is tough to find.

• ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Here is what your looking for

No clue why the graded one got a 6...you know how that goes...

Phil,

Tks, for posting. Yes, I'm aware that this is the '79 Tiant disc I would need to add to my Master Set. I also realize this particular disc is for your personal collection, however, this disc, as you know, is rarer than some cards in the Master Set. IF you come across another '79 Tiant, pls post here, or find me at ajrs44@yahoo.com should you find one for sale, or get an itch to sell this one. I have, like you, no clue how this disc graded a 6. The disc should be at least an 8 plus. This is what happens when subjectivity, not objectivity is thrown into the mix of a decision making process.

I once cracked a 1955 Topps SGC84 slab and it came back a PSA 8.5. I almost had a stroke at my good fortune!! Not even the #1 guy had this card, as it was a 1 of 1. I eventually sold the set and made an enormous profit from that one card, from less than $40 to over $700.

Much like the hoopla over the half-point stuff that began years ago, no human being could possibly discern the difference between a PSA 8 and a PSA 8.5 at arms length. This is just an example, use any grade with the half point next to it and the difference is beyond miniscule.

I've always felt the half-point was a money grab by PSA, perhaps forced by the Board of Directors to enhance coffers. This half-point biz has totally destroyed many, many POP report values because of crack-outs seeking not just the half-point bump, but the increase in value of an owner's card from say a 7 to 7.5. Like the wiffle disc fiasco populations, I know there are several1955 Topps POP reports that are simply invalid and can never, ever be corrected.

What happens when an owner cracks a PSA 7 and sends it in raw without the flip? The PSA 7 still exists, and will forever, regardless of how the former PSA 7, now raw card comes back, be it a PSA 7 (which now the card has self-cloned), PSA 6, 5, or whatever. The original PSA 7 is in the POP report, but really doesn't exist anymore.

Tks again for the post.
    Al