Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Premiums for PSA Packs with Stars on Top

When trying to purchase packs with stars on the face, how do you determine a multiplier for value? I know it is all personal, but curious to hear how people figure this out. For example, a 1984 Topps Football Cello PSA 9 with Elway sold for $315 and one with Marino sold for $195. Does anyone have a guide or system they use? Thanks!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Many ways to tackle this but mine would be based on the value of the star showing. For example in PSA 9 the Elway is worth roughly $300 more than a Marino. I usually pay between the PSA 8 and 9 price of the individual card for PSA 8 packs.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

That is pretty simple and logical. I like it.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

it the olden days before grading and authentication, the general rule of thumb was to double or triple the cost of the unopened item in question--then add the cost of the star card or cards. I remember asking the same question to the guys on the old eBay wax pack group(and IIRC Tim, Doug, John M and a few others here were in that group). And I recall asking Alan Rosen at one of his appearances in RI.

Me: hey Alan how do you determine the price of star cellos and racks?" Alan: by letting me auction it and seeing how much I can get for it" True story.

As for now--I do not think the cost of the card itself is a true indicator. There are many vintage packs that are so rare that that way is insufficient. For instance, check this 74 cello with Schmidt on top that is a PSA-9.

you cannot really use that theory with this pack--or any vintage pack. You would have to start with the cost of the cello--then add a premium for a star on top. In this case a 2nd year HOFer. The premium should be more than the cost of the card in the same grade.

or how about this one (which is no longer in my collection). While the 74 Schmidt cello may not be rare--this 68 Namath has to be. How is that valued? I know of no other way to gauge rarity other than what 1 collector is willing to pay

So maybe the old theory is still good theory

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@flatfoot816 said:
    it the olden days before grading and authentication, the general rule of thumb was to double or triple the cost of the unopened item in question--then add the cost of the star card or cards. I remember asking the same question to the guys on the old eBay wax pack group(and IIRC Tim, Doug, John M and a few others here were in that group). And I recall asking Alan Rosen at one of his appearances in RI.

Me: hey Alan how do you determine the price of star cellos and racks?" Alan: by letting me auction it and seeing how much I can get for it" True story.

As for now--I do not think the cost of the card itself is a true indicator. There are many vintage packs that are so rare that that way is insufficient. For instance, check this 74 cello with Schmidt on top that is a PSA-9.

you cannot really use that theory with this pack--or any vintage pack. You would have to start with the cost of the cello--then add a premium for a star on top. In this case a 2nd year HOFer. The premium should be more than the cost of the card in the same grade.

or how about this one (which is no longer in my collection). While the 74 Schmidt cello may not be rare--this 68 Namath has to be. How is that valued? I know of no other way to gauge rarity other than what 1 collector is willing to pay

So maybe the old theory is still good theory

Good thoughts so what would you value your two examples at?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

what manny said is 100% correct as in the older days thats the way i would judge the price of unopened packs and cellos with the stars on top or bottom the difference i found was that a star cello or rookie on top was around two and a half times the price to three time the card and then add the price of the cello or rack if the star was on the back it was around 2 times and to this day i try to price my packs the same way i recently sold a few 1986 racks with jerry rice on top and one with him on back and sold the one on back for around 40 dollars less...again its just a guess but thats how i try to price mine and again thats like manny said before grading and there are also alot of exceptions to this rule depending on demand of the rack or cello

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very tough question to answer, and I think a bit of a gray area. The rarity of the collectible, and the popularity of the card showing would play a major role. For example, I am a big Dale Murphy fan. One item I wanted in my collection was a 77 cello pack with his rookie on top. I bought one off Tim, for an appropriate price. But I would have probably paid 2X as much as the "going rate" for a 77 cello pack with a star showing. Just because, that was sort of a white whale for me. I'm sure collectors of Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Mays, would pay very high premiums for something that was difficult to come by. Just my thoughts. At almost any point in time, I can find a PSA 9 Murphy rookie for sale on EBAY, and I wouldn't have to wait long for a PSA 10 rookie to go up for sale either. But it may take me multiple years of waiting to find an unopened pack with his rookie showing.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Manny,

That Schmidt pack is amazing!

• Options

Thanks for the great advice. I just picked up a great unopened piece for my collection and I'll post upon arrival.

Joe