Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Looking for information on this small (German?) gold Klippe

tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 23, 2017 1:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I purchased this medal/coin long ago, 1986 if my records are accurate, during my quest for coins with Biblical themes. It is described on the flip as follows: Germany ND Klippe Medal in Gold for “John the Baptist”.

One side depicts the Holy Spirit descending in the form of a Dove above John the Baptist baptizing Jesus (as described in Matthew 3:13-17) while an Angel stands by their side. The other side depicts “The Adoration of the Magi” with the three kings from the east bearing gifts for the King of the Jews all under the Star of Bethlehem as described in Matthew 2:1-12. Looks like some Hebrew writing on the bottom of this side also.

It is about 17mm square and weighs 20 grains or 1.3 to 1.4 grams on my trusty ProScale Digi 500.

Is it a medal? Is it a coin and if so what denomination, (1/3 ducat)? Is it in fact from Germany? Can someone read the Hebrew writing for me? Any help or references will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you enlarge this somewhat? - I don't see Hebrew writings from here.

• Options

@marcmoish said:
    Can you enlarge this somewhat? - I don't see Hebrew writings from here.

See if this helps.....

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2017 6:53PM

The only German medals person I'm aware of is Annette Hossfeld, who has an MA-Shop and is affiliated with WAG auktionen. Maybe you could inquire with her. There might be a few others if you look around, but medals are outside of my comfort zone.

http://www.medallica.de/

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't see Hebrew here so unsure where you got that information from.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

It actually looks more like Greek, to wit, Γ.ΤΡΙΠΟ ΛΙΤΜΙ (my wild guess)

Do the letters form abbreviations? Where's Dimitrios? B)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2017 3:49AM

I have no idea, though it looks old (ca. late 17th to 18th C?) and very cool.

And... gold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@marcmoish said:
    I really don't see Hebrew here so unsure where you got that information from.

Now that you mention it, it does look Greek. I think you are on to something. Thanks.

• Options

Got this in a email today from wag-auktionen.....

**"The goldmedal is not certain german origin.

I believe that it could be a russian piece from the 19. century

Definitely you find several similar pieces in german auctions which were assigned to Russia

The prices are round about 400 Euros"
    Thanks neildrobertson for suggesting I contact them.