Home Sports Talk
Options

Teams you could never ever root for under any circumstance

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2017 12:41PM in Sports Talk

One from each sport max please

Baseball- St Louis Cardinals. I think it stems from the second baseball game I ever attended. 68 WS Game 4 as a young young lad. The Tigers got crushed 10-1 and went up 3 games to one. Gibson beat McLain. The St Louis faithful gave us the business and said we had no business playing on the same field as the Cardinals. I might have cried. I don't think I ever got over that. Three games late the Tigers were world champs. I even lived in St. Louis for seven years and could never once root for them. FYI Hank Greenberg threw out the first pitch and Marvin Gaye sang the National Anthem in the same I attended.

Pro Football- The Steelers. I've never liked them. It may have been different if they started Hanratty over Bradshaw. Couldn't stand Franco Harris either.

Pro Hoops- The Chicago Bulls. I can't ever once rooting for them when they became relevant. It used to be the Lakers.

Hockey- The Pittsburgh Penguins. I loved Mario but as a team I have always rooted against them. Especially the Crosby years.

College basketball- North Carolina. Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Four corners, Michael Jordan......yuck

College football- I think I have rooted for everyone at one time or another

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball - I have never liked STL.
    Football - Toss-up between Giants and Eaglets.
    Basketball - I hate the Pistons and always will.
    Hockey - Don't care for the sport at all.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB----- Nationals. That whole area is too corrupt.
    NBA-----Mavericks. Cuban is a dolt (albeit very rich)
    NHL-----Coyotes. They hosed local taxpayers to build arena and even worse.
    NFL------Dallas. Never forgive them for firing Landry.

College Hoops. All are off the radar for screwing the athletes.
    College Football. See above.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the 1968 World Series... Rooting for the Tigers. What an amazing series and a tremendous comeback.

As for your question, no real good answers.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB - Mets
    NFL - Cowboys
    NHL - Avalanche
    NBA - couldn't care less

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL-Giants, MLB-Yankees, NHL-Montreal, NBA-Lakers

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Baseball - Cardinals, Yankees
    NFL - Patriots, Cowboys
    NBA - Couldn't care less
    College Football - ALL sec teams
    Tennis - Navratilova

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball - Mets
    Football - Raiders
    Hockey - Red WIngs
    Basketball - Everyone except the Lakers and Spurs

Steve

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    NFL - Patriots, Cowboys
    NBA - Couldn't care less
    Tennis - Navratilova

The 2 teams that lead in WS Championships MLB.
    2 teams with 5 SB Championships NFL

Looks like you have a problem with winners. :)

On tennis I couldn't agree more,

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@garnettstyle said:
    NFL - Patriots, Cowboys
    NBA - Couldn't care less
    Tennis - Navratilova

Nah. He's a Pittsburgh fan. Makes sense for him

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@garnettstyle said:
    NFL - Patriots, Cowboys
    NBA - Couldn't care less
    Tennis - Navratilova

@DIMEMAN said:

@garnettstyle said:
    NFL - Patriots, Cowboys
    NBA - Couldn't care less
    Tennis - Navratilova

No problems with winners. I'm a buckeyes and steelers fan. Two teams with the most success.

I don't consider the cowboys winners. They haven't been relevant in over 20 yrs.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2017 5:58PM

"I don't consider the cowboys winners. They haven't been relevant in over 20 yrs."

Well...even though you don't like it.....they have 5 COUNT'EM 5 SB wins!

And the last one was against the Seelers.......HOW SWEET!! :)

Plus we whipped your arse last year with a rookie QB and RB! ;)

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Here's my list:

Baseball - Chicago Cubs. No self-respecting White Sox fan could ever bring themselves to root for them. I hope that they go another 108 years before they win another World Series.

Pro Football - that team from Wisconsin (I can't even bring myself to type their name).

Pro Basketball - don't watch it and don't care.

Hockey - Used to be the Detroit Red Wings when they were in the same division as the Black Hawks, but since the Wings went to the Eastern Conference, I would have to say it's the St. Louis Blues now.

College Basketball - Indiana University. Effin' IU hands down.

College Football - Notre Dame.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    "I don't consider the cowboys winners. They haven't been relevant in over 20 yrs."

Whipped their ass lol? Did you watch the game? The steelers had the game won if it weren't for a boneheaded call by Tomlin. Which team went further into the playoffs? Which team has a winning record against each other in Super Bowls? They never could beat Bradshaw. Terry had their number.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

baseball-yanks,dodgers. football- carolina, and the team that gets further and further from dallas as time goes on, hopefully soon they will be all the way down south. Basketball-Irrelevant. hockey-irrelevant. college basketball-Kentucky. college football-EsecPN. B)

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, garnettstyle, but are you a Cincinnati Reds fan?

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Teams I could never root for:
    MLB: Yankees
    NFL Ravens (they are stolen property as far as I'm concerned)
    NHL: Flyers
    NCAAF: Miami, FL (they have long represented everything that is wrong with college sports in my mind)
    NCAABB: Whoever Calipari is coaching (which is too bad he's at Kentucky - I used to like them)
    NBA: The entire league

• Options

@PM770 said:

Yes.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Many easy and quite obvious......but, from my earliest days of fandom, I will never, ever be a hockey fan of the California/Oakland Seals, ultimately the California Golden Seals before their franchise remnants became the Cleveland Barons - they croaked, then merged with the Minnesota North Stars - and now known as the Dallas Stars. Whew. What a mouthful. But, the best is/was this.....

I grew up on L.A. Kings hockey from year One. When they arrived in the NHL in 1967 with a roster of young kids and washouts, they were seeking an audience and a useful opponent. The expansion team from up north eventually became the logical choice and target of local fan "affections". When the Seals came to town, the Fabulous Forum would turn into a circus with packs of newly anointed hockey experts perpetuating some hilarious rivalries. Both teams pretty much sucked for years.

The Oakland fan base included a hoard of folks led by a dude who goes by the name of Krazy George Henderson. If anyone here has attended sporting events in Northern California from the late 60s till who-knows-when, you'd know who Krazy George is. He started out at San Jose State. He's performed at tons of other places while banging on his drum or tooting a dysfunctional horn or just cheerleading a bunch of nutbags.

Our between periods adventures included many clashes with the Seals fans as rival groups walked the concourse above the Loge section. Never any real fistfights like on the ice, but lots of mean stares and dirty words. We'd often hold court directly beneath the announcers booth so people could hear us yelling on the radio. :D

Those were the days. Nothing can replace the true hatred which develops from a rivalry between 2 horrible teams and their fans. There was real passion in those days. It took guts just to mention to anyone that I was a hockey fan. When really good teams came to town, they usually owned the Kings. Things have changed tremendously.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Whipped their ass lol? Did you watch the game? The steelers had the game won if it weren't for a boneheaded call by Tomlin. Which team went further into the playoffs? Which team has a winning record against each other in Super Bowls? They never could beat Bradshaw. Terry had their number.

Noll & Co, owned Dallas in the Super Bowl. The Jets have more playoff wins than Dallas over the past 20 years, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Noll & Co, owned Dallas in the Super Bowl. The Jets have more playoff wins than Dallas over the past 20 years, lol..

I wouldn't call it owned. They won by 4 points in76 on a comeback win and 4 points again in 79 with the help of the refs and Jackie Smith. Without Smith's intentional drop in the end zone and the bad interference call on Swan.....Dallas wins that one easy.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yes, I watched the game....every minute of Zeke running thru your defense like a hot knife thru butter. 114 yards on 21 carries. That's 5.42 yards per carry. Dak had a very good game also.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I wouldn't call it owned. They won by 4 points in76 on a comeback win and 4 points again in 79 with the help of the refs and Jackie Smith. Without Smith's intentional drop in the end zone and the bad interference call on Swan.....Dallas wins that one easy.

Noll vs Landry in Super Bowl 2-0.

Landry vs Noll in Super Bowl 0-2.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Noll vs Landry in Super Bowl 2-0.

Landry vs Noll in Super Bowl 0-2.

GREAT COMEBACK!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football - The Raiders (because they dominated my favorite team[ Denver] in the 1960's and 1970's when I was a kid and young adult).

Other major us sports:

Baseball - have no interest in the sport.

Hockey - have no interest in the sport.

Basketball - enjoy watching the game when it is played by highly skilled players that play together as a team (i.e. the Lakers and Celtics in the 1980's, the Bulls in the 1990's), have no team I intensely dislike or like

• Options
    edited April 24, 2017 6:15PM

@PM770 said:

Yes.

@garnettstyle said

Probably has to be the worst sports network on cable. They rarely show any of my teams games. Went to watch the Yankees vs Pirates game today, and after the first 2 minutes, it blacked out. Nothing

@Justacommeman said

This is why I assumed he was a Pirates Fan

mark

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only team I ever really hated with a capital H is the Cincinnati Bearcats Basketball teams of 1961, 1962. When one is younger it seems more important how your beloved team does. When the OSU Football team lost two National Championship games about ten years ago I said "Oh well, the other team was just better. I was over it in about a day or two. When I sat at the Fiesta Bowl last year and couldn't find the Buckeyes on the field I wasn't really bothered at all. I realized they were by far the inferior team. I even cracked a joke or two about the game on my way home. But when those gawd dam Bearcats upset the Buckeyes in 61 I could have died. I was 13 years old and already a die hard Buckeye fan. Anytime I saw Cincinnati on TV I wanted them to lose. I resented it any time they had even a decent team. I was delighted to see Loyola of Chicago upset them in the 63 Championship Game. For years I almost wished we could Nuke them. At the same time I loved the Reds and had great respect for Oscar Robertson who was not on the 61 or 62 team. He was a decent guy. The players on the 61 & 62 team were a bunch of thugs and criminals and should have been in court, not on the court. I remember when my hatred softened a little, not gone away but I thought it was not right to Nuke Cincinnati just because of those worthless individuals who made up their team and that worthless human being who doubled as their coach. So I softened up a bit and I did this while I was in only in my early 40s. Fast forward a few years. My youngest daughter wanted to be an engineer. One day she says "Dad, I found a really good engineering program. I will start next quarter." "Great said I, where are you going?" You guessed it. The University of Cincinnati. My heart sank. I didn't want her to see any disappointment on my face so I just smiled and nodded. Well, she got her engineering degree from Cincinnati, in fact I have a copy of her diploma in my office. At the graduation ceremony I had to sit in the audience and stare at the banners proclaiming them Champs of 61 & 62. At that time I thought perhaps the Lord was teaching me a lesson. I am happy to say that as I approach 70 I no longer really hate those gosh darn, no those gawd dam thugs that upset us. I just dislike them a little.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

I feel you Brick. Thanks for sharing.

mark

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auburn

• Options

I just realized I once rooted for the Steelers. The Super Bowl vs Seattle in Detroit. Bettis is from Detroit and I was very happy for him.

mark