Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some beauty shots by Todd Pollock (BluCC)

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2017 8:07AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Most of the editing corrections done. Thanks, Todd (@blu62vette)!

I love this thrymsa because it is of much higher purity than typical.

These two sceattas are amazing! (The SCBC 803D is actually from CNG's Triton XX.)

And now onto some more modern pieces...

I am still looking for attribution help for the Baptismal taler, but I am pretty sure that it isn't listed in either Knyphausen nor Katsouros.

From the Pisa mint:

From the Rome mint:

Which Modena image does the viewership like more?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking bunch, EVP!

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Great looking bunch, EVP!

Thanks. Which Modena image do you think is nicer?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second one for me.

• Options

Spasibo, 2K.

Anyone else?

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a little tough. On the reverse I like the second one better. On the obverse it's a bit more tricky. You can see some detail (? Not sure if that's the right word) better around the eye for example on the first one. The second shows off the color better. I lean a bit to the first vs. the second even though the second is prettier.

• Options

Thanks @Stork. I lean towards the second. The reverse on the second is far better than on the first. For me, the obverse of the second is also more to my liking although I have a hard time putting into words why I have that visual preference.

I didn't look at the coin in hand to compare the images because, frankly, I don't care as long as the images flatter the coin (even if unfairly!).

BTW, the images above have been updated with most of the textual corrections done. There is one remaining edit that I spotted this morning (missing comma for the Papal States coin).

EVP

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the sceattas and thrymsa. Exceptional pieces.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 3:36PM

The Rome mint Piastra is totally rocking, and my favorite of these all.

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

The sceattas are amazing.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BS said:
    The sceattas are amazing.

+10000 -- My exact thoughts! :+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler : Just one thing I would find to be very helpful on the medieval pieces --> Are there rough dates for which these correspond? It would be nice for the picture to have a date range corresponding to when they were like struck...

All absolutely superb pieces! As for the Modena piece pictures, I prefer the first one.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    edited April 25, 2017 3:06PM

Thanks everyone!

@brg5658 said:
    @EVillageProwler : Just one thing I would find to be very helpful on the medieval pieces --> Are there rough dates for which these correspond? It would be nice for the picture to have a date range corresponding to when they were like struck...

All absolutely superb pieces! As for the Modena piece pictures, I prefer the first one.

BRG5658 - yes, there are corresponding dates: for SCBC 770, c. 655 - c. 675 (the seller says circa 675 due to die chain relationship with Series A sceattas (c. 680 - c. 710); SCBC 803D, c. 725 - c. 745; SCBC 808A, c. 725 - c. 745.

The point of contention of the dates has to do with monarch attribution -- assuming that all these issues were under royal authority. So, for the gold piece, if the issue period is circa 675, then the monarch was Hlothere (673-685). If earlier, well, then we'd have a different monarch.

@Nap and I go back and forth on this issue, and he is a more rigid researcher than I am (by training, I suppose, and correctly!). Therefore, when writing my tags, I write "probably Hlothere" to acknowledge the imprecision of the data.

In the future, I'll try to remember to add more detail. In this case, I got too excited with how the images came out. <3

As for the Modena, I think I prefer the second one and that is the one I uploaded to my iPhone and iPad so I can admire them where I go. :)

EVP

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of coins. If you ever get more info on the Baptism Taler let me know, it looks a lot like mine. If I can dig out the page from the auction catalog that I bought it from I'll share what I find.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44

Yes, our two pieces look a lot like the same. Looking forward to what you come up with.

EVP

• Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Words cannot express the awesome beauty of both coins and graphics/photography!

Great lineup!

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    @tommy44

Yes, our two pieces look a lot like the same. Looking forward to what you come up with.

EVP

Searched and searched and all I've found were a couple of listings for ones I didn't buy. If anything ever pops up I'll be sure to post it.

I have another that is similar with a dot after the first line below the dove....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44

Thanks. your first one is a lot like mine, but the second is not really close enough. Let me know if you can find the catalog attributions for your first one.

EVP

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look fantastic. It really snazzes up the Anglo-Saxon pieces.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.