Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New to PSA and the Forum. Need some help.

Speedfreak33Speedfreak33 Posts: 22

Hi all! I am glad to be apart of this forum. Hope you can help me out a little. I am going through my father's collection and not sure what to send it to get graded. Just off the top of my head I see
(3) 1984 USFL Topps Football sets. Complete.
1970 Topps Football Complete sets.
1970 Topps Super Football Complete
1969 Topps Basketball Complete
(3) closed boxes of 1989 Upper Deck

Don't think these are worth much!
(20) 1990 Fleer Basterball Complete
2000+ Cards of all the great playes in 1989 NBA Hoops (Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley and More)
(50) Boxes 1990 ProSet Football
(20) Boxes 1990 Score Football

That's most of it I think. There was a lot more but a family member stole it. Anyway!

My question is should I send in the complete set or just pick the good ones to get graded? My father kept these cards in really good condition but I am no grader. Not sure what can be real valuable here if anything.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not grade the complete sets. A lot of the commons would not be worth the cost of grading. Just pick out the best hall of famers for grading.

Your 69 Alcindor/Jabbar card is most likely the most valuable card you have. For sure grade that one.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

First welcome to PSA forums. If you can scan in a pic of the 1969 Alcindor, we can tell you if it will be worth your time. The 1969 set can have a very nice value to it if in high condition. Any further condition information would be helpful in making a good decision for submissions.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

In that 1984 USFL set, there are a few stars but not all the cards are worthy of grading. The Steve Young card is worth grading for sure assuming it's in half decent shape. Welcome to the boards. Jim Kelly is in that set too!! Those 1970 football sets have some stars too. I'd have to see the shape they're in before I could give a fair opinion on whether to grade. Can you post a few?

• Options

Thanks guys for the great welcome! I appreciate the help. You will be able to tell the grade of a card if I scan them? Should I leave them in the plastic top loaders? I really don't want to touch these cards if I don't have too.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 7:28AM

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@Speedfreak33 said:
    Thanks guys for the great welcome! I appreciate the help. You will be able to tell the grade of a card if I scan them? Should I leave them in the plastic top loaders? I really don't want to touch these cards if I don't have too.

A lot of these guys are better than me at this, but they can look at the corners and edges for a start. It's hard to figure the surface with a scan. That's the one big drawback about not having the card in hand. I'm not sure what kind of plastic holders they are in. If sent to be graded, they need to be moved to semi-rigid holders. Read this:

We recommend that you insert your cards in flexible plastic pouches such as the Card Saver I product. We do not accept cards submitted in hard-acrylic or screwdown holders and do not recommend the use of hard plastic top loaders. In addition, we also recommend wrapping your cards in between two pieces of cardboard for added protection. The use of bubble wrap and/or Styrofoam pellets is also suggested to cushion your prized cards en route to PSA.

• Options

@Speedfreak33 said:

Opinions on the board regarding grading can be very accurate at times but not always. By posting picts. we will certainly be able to tell you if it is worthy of grading. A hidden crease that does not show up in a scan can make a card that looks like a PSA 8 or PSA 9 end up a PSA 4 or 5. As most will attest that when you submit cards the first time that you tend to over estimate how good a condition the card is in. By soliciting other opinions it should help you get a more accurate estimation of grades to be expected.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Welcome to the boards!

What is your "end game" with grading these family heirlooms?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? -welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, and Good Luck with the grading of any cards you send in.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Ok great! They are in penny sheets and then in top loaders. I will scan some in this weekend and get some opinions. Thanks again all!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Looking forward to seeing the cards and hopefully helping you out as to condition.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. Throw some scans up of some of your best, would love to see them.

• Options

Here are some Dan Marion Rookies

• Options

I have a ton of these! Not sure if they are worth much.

• Options
    Speedfreak33Speedfreak33 Posts: 22
    edited April 21, 2017 9:49AM

• Options

100's of these! Don't think they are work much either.

• Options

Here are some more!

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

That Alcindor looks good!

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    That Alcindor looks good!

Need to get that one graded. Don't know much about USFL and the other cards. Nice cards.

• Options

Wow!! That Alcindor looks to be a very nice card. Hard to tell from the picture but that card looks like an easy Psa 7 and easily could be a PSA 8. Hard to see the corners but with that centering and if those corners are sharp an 8-8.5 would not be out of the question.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Yes get the Kareem graded stat! May have a real winner there!

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I think the only must grade is the Alcindor. The top 3 jordans look nice but those probably have to grade a 10 to be worth it. The Marinos kellys youngs and whites are nothing to sneeze at but I think they'd have to grade an 8 to add any value. Of course if it's something you are going to keep and want to get graded then go for it.

Nice collection, some really cool cards.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Yes get the Kareem graded stat! May have a real winner there!

• Options

Just wondering if the boxes of proset are available

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome i'd grade one of the Reggie White cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ray is a lover of old threads it appears

Looking for FB HOF Rookies