Home Sports Talk

Obstacles prohibiting the Patriots from becoming America's team.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early in the New England dynasty the knock was that the team was too vanilla. Productive yet boring.

Early on Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke and bravely returned to play. Bravo.

Sort of downhill after that with the Belichick conspired Spy scandal, Aaron Hernandez arrest and murder conviction, Brady unapologetically and unremorsefully cheating by having footballs inflated off spec, and as a humble footnote, Hernandez straggling himself.

Good grief......I could become a Dallas fan again.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Pat's Fan I couldn't be happier. Anybody who wants to jump on the train.......all aboard. If not, no worries. Being America's team reeks of mayonnaise anyways.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only thing that matters is winning, just win. I couldn't care less about any of the other nonsense.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I'm a Bear fan and I love to watch good football. I can't stand watching my Bears right now. I love watching the Patriots.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Only thing that matters is winning, just win. I couldn't care less about any of the other nonsense.

Of course you don't.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's all the hype that causes angst towards certain organizations. hype is what tagged Dallas as America's Team and during that run it wasn't uncommon to hear people say "The Cowboys aren't my Team" when the media spouted the line. the same with Atlanta when TBS was spreading that line about the Baseball Braves.

the media always takes these things and turns people off. I think "Red Sox Nation" was the first incarnation of that phrase that I remember hearing, but it wasn't long before every franchise in every sport started to use it!!! to be honest, I always enjoyed watching Boston do battle with the Yankees but I sort of got burned out with all the Nation-building.

it happened in Seattle recently with all the 12th man bullcrap, then other cities got into a contest about who could loudest at a Nationally televised game. it all seems stupid to me.

I don't particularly like the Patriots but I will give credit where it is due. they used to be a one-sided Team, they would just score more than everyone. now they are a solid Team on both sides of the ball and I really think their defense wins as many games as their offense, but guess which side gets all the credit?? Belichick has morphed from one scoop of vanilla into a banana split, easily becoming one of the NFL's leading HC's and a no doubt HOF'er. it is a tribute to his work ethic.

when Belichick first came into the League he had no credentials past working tirelessly with his mentor, Bill Parcells, in New York. I think at first he had trouble with the Cleveland players: he never played, was only 38 at the time and had limited coaching experience. in retrospect, I wish Art Modell would have been more anxious to have a good Head Coach than to win a Super Bowl. he should never have fired Belichick and he should have never moved the Team.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most successful teams typically generate as much jealousy and resentment as they do adulation.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    The most successful teams typically generate as much jealousy and resentment as they do adulation.

I guess it depends on the team. I was a big fan of Elway's Bronco's and to a bit lesser extent the 49'ers, Bears of the 1980's as well and loved the Parcell's led Giants.

Maybe it is more of a disenchantment with the current game.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

I guess it depends on the team. I was a big fan of Elway's Bronco's and to a bit lesser extent the 49'ers, Bears of the 1980's as well and loved the Parcell's led Giants.

Maybe it is more of a disenchantment with the current game.

No, the Cowboys of the 1970s were America's Team , but just as many people hated them as rooted for them.

I don't think it has anything to do with grumpy old men longing for the game of yore.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cowboys wanted to be America's team . The Patriots couldn't care less

@bronco2078 said:
    The cowboys wanted to be America's team . The Patriots couldn't care less

Clearly.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is being called "americas team" desirable Glick? The Patriots are built to win super bowls . America's Team was more about selling merchandise and pimping cheerleaders. Worthy goals on some level ,but unrelated to success in football

When deflategate broke, the Pat's faithful were whining unrelentlessly that it was not cheating and everyone does it and the Pats would have won the game in question even if Brady was not not cheating.

If they truly care about winning and nothing else, than proving their case was moot.

As fans we cheer on the quick and the strong and nimble. We worship the guys that do what we can't, and when they win, we like the bragging rights.

So I guess that was the transparent intent of your thread. Thinly veiled. You are slipping

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Not sure how my last post was much different from my first.

But you are the guy with the countable change in your pocket so I defer....

Ever watch Game of Thrones? The Patriots were found innocent by Trial by Combat. They had a #1 pick taken away and their leader suspended for 4 games. What did they do? They win a Super Bowl. Not guilty : )

All we need now is SuperDave the Seahawks fan to Ride in with his halo and white robe.

mark

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the "America's Team" thing had never been started. I t was the media and not the Cowboys organization that did it. The Cowboys do have fans as well as haters all over the country. To me no one team is "America's Team".

I give credit to where credit is due as far as the Pat's go. And think the deflate gate was a joke for many reasons that have already been brought up.

Looking forward to the draft and new year in the NFL. Not much sports interest for me until Football starts.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Ever watch Game of Thrones? The Patriots were found innocent by Trial by Combat. They had a #1 pick taken away and their leader suspended for 4 games. What did they do? They win a Super Bowl. Not guilty : )

All we need now is SuperDave the Seahawks fan to Ride in with his halo and white robe.

mark

plus, the deflation thing was a made up event because Goodell is a douche.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 3:39AM

Coin or Mcglick whoever you might be, hate the Pats all you want but to start a thread based on the Patriots not being " Americas Team" is laughable at best. The stuff you posted about is right up the ally for an old fudd like yourself to get uptight about. I will give you spygate, the Pats got caught doing what other teams do and paid. Moving along they took a chance on that dirtbag AH like other teams in the NFL have and cut ties as soon as the handcuffs were put on before knowing the charge, not much more they could do. And why the heck should Brady be remorseful and apologetic? He got screwed over and instead of playing the role he went on a rampage and won the Super Bowl sticking it to Goodell and the rest of the haters like yourself. The "Americas Team" nonsense was a 1970's thing attached to the Cowboys, if you need to reminisce go rent some DVD on it and enjoy it for what it was, you won't find another one. Sorry there will never be another " Americas Team"

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Coin or Mcglick whoever you might be, hate the Pats all you want but to start a thread based on the Patriots not being " Americas Team" is laughable at best. The stuff you posted about is right up the ally for an old fudd like yourself to get uptight about. I will give you spygate, the Pats got caught doing what other teams do and paid. Moving along they took a chance on that dirtbag AH like other teams in the NFL have and cut ties as soon as the handcuffs were put on before knowing the charge, not much more they could do. And why the heck should Brady be remorseful and apologetic? He got screwed over and instead of playing the role he went on a rampage and won the Super Bowl sticking it to Goodell and the rest of the haters like yourself. The "Americas Team" nonsense was a 1970's thing attached to the Cowboys, if you need to reminisce go rent some DVD on it and enjoy it for what it was, you won't find another one. Sorry there will never be another " Americas Team"

Come on...tell us how you really feel. ;) In all seriousness I agree with you 100%. The whole "Americas Team" was all hype and BS. There is no such thing as "Americas Team". If there was ........the Pat's name and logo would be a good fit. :#B)>:)

Perk nailed it

Mark

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul,

Haters always hate, stupid people always do stupid things. You know this from where you work.

Al

""" And why the heck should Brady be remorseful and apologetic? He got screwed over and instead of playing the role he went on a rampage and won the Super Bowl sticking it to Goodell and the rest of the haters like yourself."""

The luxury of living in a non pro sports town permits me to observe rather than like or hate. For the record I caught the Patriots dramatic comeback and was happy to see them win the SB. Not because I am a fan of the Pats but always enjoy the unexpected in sports.

I was a fan of the Championship Pistons of 89-90. I could see the warts but frankly in the pre internet era did not fully appreciate what a creep Laimbeer was. Thomas of course was no saint either.

At any rate, your attitude of win at all cost is admirable as it makes being a spectator much simpler and no doubt fulfilling.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I wish the "America's Team" thing had never been started. I t was the media and not the Cowboys organization that did it. The Cowboys do have fans as well as haters all over the country. To me no one team is "America's Team".

Very well said!