Home Q & A Forum
Options

Not sure where to post this,After buying a coin, are you free to use the pic that was taken by selle

chiniu1976chiniu1976 Posts: 165 ✭✭
edited April 16, 2017 8:14PM in Q & A Forum

Hi and thanks ahead of time for voiceing you opinion
I bought 3 coins from a dealer, paid for coins, the question is can you now use the pictures taken by seller, since so often sellers will do a better job of photograph, would these pics copyrighted???? or am I free to use them
MT(APS)

:) new to BST positive transactions with au and ag, j dimick, Pandavab, messcrew

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe NOT without permission. All pictures are automatically copy right, with or without being respectively registered as such. There are the coins and there are the pictures. 2 entirely different items.
    Usually dealers does not care and will give you permission to use their property ( is the original creators property), but you never know until you ask. A dealer might have contracted someone else to do these images for him . Copyright laws can have a nasty and powerful lawful bite with long lasting consequences.
    The law in most countries very clearly determines ownership of an image on to the person who pushed the shutter button.
    Not who owns the camera or paid for having the image taken! For the actual photographed object to own the images, written agreements specifying ownership of the results should be in place BEFORE the images are taken .
    There is a well known Coin Photographer on Ebay. He is a commercial pilot and also a member of this Forum,
    (aeroplanenut). He will be able to 100% clarify this position as he takes incredible Images for his ebay clients. Usually he will allow you to use his images for the asking. perhaps you find him online and ask him. His ebay name is jkcoins.
    I hope it helps you making a decision.

Good luck

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Thanks for such an excellent explanation of gthe way it works. I would not want to do anhythinh against the law.
    T will get a hold of jkcoins, we meaning jkcoins and I will have somwthing in common, I am a retired air trafficc controller, did that for 40 years...I love airplanes of any type. Thank you again for your time and helping me with the issue of copyrigt
    a newbie to this site

:) new to BST positive transactions with au and ag, j dimick, Pandavab, messcrew