Home Sports Talk
Options

2017 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs **Official Thread**

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2017 4:21AM in Sports Talk

Yes, the season runs too long but it's some of the most intense and entertaining postseasons in sports, imho.
Lots of great story lines again this year.
Pressure on teams expected to go far and teams not expected to be in with nothing to lose.
Veterans and rising young stars throughout.

I'll be pulling for my Washington Capitals and the Ottawa Senators (my "B" team) to meet in the Eastern Conference finals.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to see the Blue Jackets win a playoff game this year.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

How can I take any team other than the pens. Love Sid. The Hart will be a close vote this year.
    Nice year for Austin.....a clear runaway for the Calder.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

And how about our neighbors to the north?
    Last year, Canada was shut completely out of the playoffs of their national sport. :'(

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:

I'll be pulling for my Washington Capitals and the Ottawa Senators (my "B" team) to meet in the Eastern Conference finals.

Ottawa !?!?

Do you hate all other hockey fans? Ottawa games are worse than watching paint dry. The league takes a beating financially whenever they televise an Ottawa game because the entire continent picks up the remote and changes to something worth watching.

Seriously , the inventor of the neutral zone trap should be taken out and shot. I like to blame the Devils but supposedly it goes back a lot farther than that.

• Options

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

Yes, I'd like them to at least make a series of it.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2017 3:55AM

The Leafs are playing free and easy. No pressure, nothing to loose.
    Giving the Caps all they can handle and more.

Has anyone seen the Blackhawks? Lol.

• Options

Ralph

• Options

My Caps are doomed................again.

At least the boring Sens are looking sharp. ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

With my team missing the playoffs for the first time since 1990 I thought I wouldn't be into it this session. I was wrong. Great playoffs so far

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@sparky64 said:
    My Caps are doomed................again.

At least the boring Sens are looking sharp. ;)

It's like the capitals are a totally different team once the playoffs begin . :/

• Options

It sure was nice to see the Blue Jackets win a playoff game this year.

Ralph

• Options

"Must win" is overused but it sure felt like game 4 was one of those games that the Caps HAD to win.
    For psychological reasons if for nothing else.

Anaheim gets a nice rest.

The boring Sens have Boston on the ropes.

Habs and Rangers all knotted up at two apiece.

Preds looking to sweep over Chicago........say what?

I hope the Blue Jackets get another win tonight for @Brick .

• Options

I don't feel too bad about my Bruins losing this series. They have no defense so I expected them to lose as soon as Krug went down . They brought the new kid up and he looks promising but he had never played in the NHL so it wasn't like he was going to rescue them. The funny thing is with all the problems they have on defense , its the forwards that are letting them down.

• Options

The Caps vs. Pens is one series everyone wanted.

• Options

Wait till next year.

Ralph

• Options

East coast bias report:

The boring Senators to the Eastern Conference finals.
    Who saw that coming?

My Capitals can exorcise some demons tonight in what should be an epic game 7.

• Options

looking forward to Oilers- Ducks game 7 as well tonight. Nothing like hockey game 7's.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Hope the Predators can keep this run going.

Ducks will not quit, and I am certain they haven't forgotten the game 7 loss to Nashville last year.

Rinne is playing out of his head!

• Options

I'd love to see the Pred's win it all

mark

• Options

I'm pulling for Ottawa.
    Followed by the Preds then the Ducks.
    The Penguins are not an option.

• Options

The Pens are never an option under any circumstances

M

• Options

Ducks came back strong tonight as expected.

Still, pleased Nashville won a game on the road.

• Options

My son made the trek across the border for game 4 in Ottawa.
    His first time there. Should be fun with all the Sens bros.

Preds lose Johanson to injury for the rest of the playoffs.
    That hurts.

• Options

Having lived in and around the Nashville area since the Predators were awarded a team I must admit I never thought this day would actually come!

Very lucky to win tonight as Preds were outplayed most of the game.

Now, on to the Cup finals!

Go Preds!!

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

@robert67 said:
    Having lived in and around the Nashville area since the Predators were awarded a team I must admit I never thought this day would actually come!

Very lucky to win tonight as Preds were outplayed most of the game.

Now, on to the Cup finals!

Go Preds!!

Congrats, robert67. Fun to see some new blood in the Stanley Cup finals.

The difference in the game was that the best player on the ice was Rinne and the worst player on the ice was Bernier.

As a Penguins fan, the Preds do scare me because Rinne is capable of stealing multiple games in a 7-game series.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Yeeeeee-Haaawwwwwkkkkeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

***Forever I'm a Kings fan, so good to see Get-Slapped & Katy Perry wallow in grief yet again. ;)

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Best fan placard ever held up behind the glass in Nashville: DUCKS CAN'T BEAT OUR PEKKA!

• Options

Congrats to the Preds!

Does anyone think that the boring Sens have a prayer of winning game 6, let alone moving on?
    I'd like to think so.
    We'll see who shows up tonight.

• Options

No > @sparky64 said:

Congrats to the Preds!

Does anyone think that the boring Sens have a prayer of winning game 6, let alone moving on?
    I'd like to think so.
    We'll see who shows up tonight.

Looks like they did! What a great series.

• Options

Dammit!!
    Ok Preds, the entire free world is counting on you.

Great season Sens.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

LOVE the Preds. They are my #2 team behind Chicago. So excited they made it to the Finals. Can't wait for Milbury to have a hissy fit when the Preds elimate the Pens and golden boy Cosby.

GO PREDS!

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

@AmazonX said:
    Can't wait for Milbury to have a hissy fit when the Preds elimate the Pens and golden boy Cosby.

GO PREDS!

Milbury? I think you mean Pierre Maguire

• Options

You can bet that the league wants the Penguins to win.

Im sure Bettman was sweating an Ottawa/Predators final.

• Options

@robert67 said:
    You can bet that the league wants the Penguins to win.

Im sure Bettman was sweating an Ottawa/Predators final.

Oh, they sure did. I kinda wish Ottawa made it in. Nice to see two "underdogs" make it.

• Options

@lanemyer85 So true, but Milbury...he loves his Penguins/Crosby as well. You can see it on his face when they don't play well or lose a game. Honestly, worst part is going to be having to deal with Pens fans. Never had a good experience with any of them.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2017 7:48PM

After a horrible start for Preds it is 3-3 with 6 mins left in 3rd. Holy Cow!

• Options

Well, it was as I expected for the first Stanley Cup final game for Nashville. Terrible start, played well in the 2nd and ran out of steam in the 3rd.

This game is an example of why the Pens are contenders most every year. Tip of the cap to them.

Can't wait for game 2!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

In the pre-game they showed Pens coach speech and in background, a player popping pills from a cup like they were M&M's.

Just his daily vitamin mix?

Hated the disallowed goal. Was that really conclusive?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@vintagefun said:
    In the pre-game they showed Pens coach speech and in background, a player popping pills from a cup like they were M&M's.

Just his daily vitamin mix?

Hated the disallowed goal. Was that really conclusive?

It didn't look conclusive, so if it's inconclusive then the call on the ice stands...unless you try to prevent Canada's golden boy Sidney Crosby from getting a cup. Though, I did see online another angle and it looked like he was on sides.

• Options

@robert67 said:
    Well, it was as I expected for the first Stanley Cup final game for Nashville. Terrible start, played well in the 2nd and ran out of steam in the 3rd.

This game is an example of why the Pens are contenders most every year. Tip of the cap to them.

Can't wait for game 2!

They were good for the first, what?, 7 minutes? Getting PK's goal taken back really messed them up. Preds showed they are in for the fight and not to give up. Too bad it didn't go into OT.

• Options

that game was fixed for the penguins . That 5 on 3 seriously? then a no call against the Penguins while they are on the power play there was blatant , then add in the ridiculous disallowed goal

• Options

Agree bronco

mark

• Options

@bronco2078 What about that elbow by Crosby right in front of the net. No call? BS.

Gotta say the game was a lot more exciting than the snoozefest last year (Sharks you let me down).

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can't get interested in Hockey.....and I've tried.

• Options

@AmazonX said:
    @lanemyer85 So true, but Milbury...he loves his Penguins/Crosby as well. You can see it on his face when they don't play well or lose a game. Honestly, worst part is going to be having to deal with Pens fans. Never had a good experience with any of them.

I guess to an extent, but generally Milbury is only concerned with how much toughness his Bruins are showing, and how many cliches he can work into one sentence.

• Options

Speaking of Milbury and toughness , does anyone else remember him attempting to fight Marty McSorley ? :D:D

• Options

Pierre made the Ottawa series almost unwatchable.
    So obviously bias and one sided it was too much to take.
    The mute button got quite a workout.
    Didn't notice him as bad in game 1 but I'll admit I didn't watch much of it.
    The better the opposing team does, the quieter he is.

If not for the goal taken away and the flukey own goal, the Preds had that game.

Hope they get they road win tonight. I'll be watching.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2017 4:23PM

@bronco2078 said:
    that game was fixed for the penguins . That 5 on 3 seriously? then a no call against the Penguins while they are on the power play there was blatant , then add in the ridiculous disallowed goal

You have to call that Neal cross-check. Defensemen always get away with them around the net, or in Chara's case, all the time, anywhere, but that was blatant and away from the goal-mouth. Plus it's James Neal so he's always good for minimum one act of stupidity per game. Not sure what "no-call" you're referring to...I assume maybe Crosby's Peter Forsberg-esque reverse hit on whichever Pred that was...but that didn't warrant a penalty. The puck was right there. That's not interference, and it wasn't an elbow. The Jarnkrok tripping penalty is the borderline call. I could see a Pred fan being upset about that one.

But if the game was fixed for the Penguins, the refs probably would have helped to open up the ice for the Pens quite a bit more than that. The other night the Preds went full on 2010-era Preds trap in their series against the Hawks where they basically set up camp on the walls and dared the Penguins to go up the middle and attempt to connect on flip passes out to center while the Preds' aggressive fore-check looked to cut off their fly patterns. Then it's straight up 1994 Devils dump and chase trying to hem the Pens d-men in behind Murray while sending the forecheckers in to force Daley & Schultz to work through outlet passes that just by basic percentages aren't going to connect on a regular basis. Schultz is also really weak when his back is turned to the play, but that's how 11 shots on goal happens. That the Preds couldn't keep their discipline and Pekka Rinne either realized that he is the mid-tier goalie that he's been for years and has been playing galatically over his head this entire playoff run, or was just over-thinking himself to death due to the lack of action that he saw in the Preds' own end, isn't on the refs. Maybe he was just rusty, maybe he was sick, maybe there were too many fans in the stands wearing black and he couldn't track pucks properly. But that Malkin shot, I mean it's Malkin so it's a great release, but there was no screen and Rinne just whiffed on it. Then he didn't anticipate that cross-ice one-handed pass. And when your hips are already jello, he was waaay slow on his movement there so he should have been starting to move to the right when that pass was leaving the stick. Guentzel's shot was great, but when you're 6'5, why was Rinne carrying his glove so low to begin with? Those are just poor mechanics, and it's the type of goal that Rinne typically gives up once per playoff game in every year before 2017. You can't fault him for the goal that bounced off of Ekholm's leg, but you can't give up 4 goals on 11 or 12 shots regardless of any 5 on 3 or arguable PP opportunity. That loss is squarely on him.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2019 12:08PM