Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI Unopened Packs

It's been a very long time since I posted on these boards and I might be asking a question that has been posed before so apologize in advance. Many years ago, I had a number of my unopened packs that I acquired or traded for in the late 70's, early 80's graded by PSA. The exception was my "tall boy" packs ('65 Topps FB, '69 & '70 Topps BSKT) which PSA did not grade so I had them graded by GAI. While I can easily find Pop counts for PSA, I was wondering if there is any way I get Pop counts for GAI? Or did GAI keep track of that? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pop reports for GAI packs.

There was a running joke at one point the pop report would be finally be up "on Monday," but sadly that Monday never came to be..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Tim--I recall being able to check cert #s from GAI. Do you recall being able to do that? Never really thought about a POP because I crossed everything over

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure but can't you send in those packs to PSA now?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    elninopadreelninopadre Posts: 55 ✭✭

So, any graded packs by GAI don't bother?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of GAI graded packs, especially those in first generation silver flip holders, are perfectly fine and just as authentic as any graded pack. The 50s pack run just auctioned off by ML consisted primarily of GAI packs. However, I believe there are certain issues that PSA won't holder such as super cello packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@elninopadre said:

Yeah, don't bother or waste your money. That's why a bunch of people (myself included) combined to spend almost $160k on a handful of gai packs in ML's auction the other night!! :D

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:

@elninopadre said:

Yeah, don't bother or waste your money. That's why a bunch of people (myself included) combined to spend almost $160k on a handful of gai packs in ML's auction the other night!! :D

i guess that means you ordered up a 1954 Topps Baseball 5 Cent Wax Pack (6 Cards) GAI 9 MINT for $14K

• Options

@coinspacks said:

@mikelowell25 said:

@elninopadre said:

i guess that means you ordered up a 1954 Topps Baseball 5 Cent Wax Pack (6 Cards) GAI 9 MINT for $14K

Right year, wrong sport ;)

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:

@coinspacks said:

@mikelowell25 said:

@elninopadre said:

didnt you think it was strange that both of those hockey packs were graded the same and one sold for more? both have the bazooka insert but one had it on the gai label and that one sold for more.

• Options

Well, I just kind of don't know anymore and was merely seeking advise on how to approach on bidding since the word on the street is that GAI auto authentications can be suspect so I do not know if that also can be applied to graded cards and packs as well? Thanks!

• Options

@coinspacks said:

@mikelowell25 said:

@coinspacks said:

@mikelowell25 said:

@elninopadre said:

didnt you think it was strange that both of those hockey packs were graded the same and one sold for more? both have the bazooka insert but one had it on the gai label and that one sold for more.

Look again--they weren't the same grade; one was an 8 and one was a 9. Last time I checked those are different #'s :) . They were graded at different times (the 8 was graded earlier) and both packs have the same contents (six cards and the bazooka insert). Gai just happened to note on the flip of the 8 the contents and not the 9. All 54 hockey packs had six cards--there is no such thing as one with four or five cards.