Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New collector with some questions

I'm basically brand new to baseball card collecting. A friend at work got me into it, I bought some Topps Triple Threads cards for my dad that Christmas, and have been basically hooked.

I started focusing on Topps S1 S2 and Update in 2015, only really buying packs of Series 2 that year. My first question I'd like to ask is some opinions on my goals for collecting. Basically, are they reasonable, focused enough, too specific, way too broad, do they have a good chance at retaining value, and do you think it would be a fun and worthy enough chase:

• I'm not into base set collecting. I like the parallels. So I'd like to collect parallel sets of the rookie cards in each year's release, the world series champions of that year + the team they beat (i.e. Cubs/Indians from Topps 2016 S1/S2/Update), and the entire Pirates set (go Bucs!). I'd start with getting the highest printed parallel that is serial numbered (usually Gold if I'm not mistake), and work my way up.
  • I like some of the inserts. I especially like the 30th anniversary of the 1987 Topps cards in this year's release. Does collecting this and other kinds of inserts have a good chance at retaining value? Does it make my target way too wide?
  • I also love Topps Triple Threads, and would probably buy a box each year and chase any and all Pirates memorabilia

I do not mind critique at all, so long as it is informative. If it seems like I'm fascinated by garbage, its because it is all brand new to me and at this point its hard to narrow my focus.

Collector of Topps Series 1,2, and Update parallels; Pirates Topps Triple Threads; and vintage Roberto Clemente

Tagged:

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? - welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

welcome. Shiny stuff (new stuff) is great--some really cool stuff out there. But there is nothing like vintage. My suggestion if you are going o start collecting shiny stuff--is to also pick a vintage set to complete to see if you are into the old stuff. I started with 1969 Topps Supers and built the #8 set before selling last month. Short set of 66 cards--some very expensive--but easier to complete graded than a mainstream 550 card set. Or 1964 Topps Stand Ups. Cool set--77 cards.

If you want a real challenge look at the '71 Topps Greatest Moments set. Cool set--very tough to complete in graded form higher than PSA-6

Whatever you choose--have fun and try to contribute to these boards as much as you can

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Yes, welcome to the boards! "Garbage" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and if you like what you collect, continue to do so. I'm older than dirt (really old dirt), so I get confused easily by newer issues. Parallel cards, to me, mean cards that aren't diamond cut (i.e., the sides of the card are parallel with the image). Color me stupid.

I think from what you describe in your first bullet point, that your focus is narrow enough. If you had said "work my way down" meaning after you get the WS champs and WS losers...er, 2nd place teams...and Bucs that you'd get the rest of the cards from all the other teams and other sports and non-sport cards and stamps and coins and bottle caps, then you'd probably have a problem (i.e., you'd be me).

As for the retaining value part of your question, value will always be determined by the end user of the product. If someone is buying it to keep because they love it and would be willing to pay a sizeable sum to do so, then yes, a product will retain or increase in value. If someone is buying it knowing they won't want to keep it but want to make a quick (or slow) buck, then no it won't retain its value. There are many cards that I would pay lots o' dollars for that if they tanked the next day I wouldn't care a bit because they bring me joy. Look for those items.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if the 2017-1987 parallels will retain value but I don't think they cost much. Unless you are talking about numbered or color parallels within that subset. I don't know enough about them. I do know the Ozzie smith card is a must own.

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. I think you will find that your knowledge of the newer issues is as good as many here. There are not a lot of active posters for modern cards, but I think it could be fun to read more on it so please post your knowledge. I started dabbling a little in the new basketball sets this year but the rookie class has been less than impressive so my interest has faded quickly.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Thanks for all the posts!

I think what has really energized my desire for the numbered parallels was seeing how much people are paying for a Kris Bryant Gold rookie card (#/2015).

I don't plan on selling it (it would break up my 2015 rookie Gold set), but it was kind of cool knowing I somehow snagged that out of a $20 box of cards

.> @flatfoot816 said:

welcome. Shiny stuff (new stuff) is great--some really cool stuff out there. But there is nothing like vintage. My suggestion if you are going o start collecting shiny stuff--is to also pick a vintage set to complete to see if you are into the old stuff. I started with 1969 Topps Supers and built the #8 set before selling last month. Short set of 66 cards--some very expensive--but easier to complete graded than a mainstream 550 card set. Or 1964 Topps Stand Ups. Cool set--77 cards.

If you want a real challenge look at the '71 Topps Greatest Moments set. Cool set--very tough to complete in graded form higher than PSA-6

Whatever you choose--have fun and try to contribute to these boards as much as you can

What vintage set out there has a good Roberto Clemente card? Or does any set containing him count as good already?

Collector of Topps Series 1,2, and Update parallels; Pirates Topps Triple Threads; and vintage Roberto Clemente

• byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I'd suggest waiting on non-rookies inserts and getting them later on Sportlots or COMC for much less then on eBay

• Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting!

Collect what you enjoy, never worry about "value" imo

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Bassman

Welcome!

I would like to start with a more generic POV on collecting as a basis for moving forward.

Mike's "3" rules of collecting:

1. Establish a very "narrow" Focus.
    2. Establish a realistic "Budget."
    3. Never break rule 1 or 2!!!!

What this will do? Keep you from waking up in a pool of sweat that drives you screaming into the night. Many will attest to what I've been alluding to: there's a thin line between a hobby and insanity.

I'm not familiar with what you're planning to collect but as Eric said - if you enjoy what you collect, don't worry about what it may cost you and don't worry about future value?
    You'll have fun collecting.

If what you do happens to appreciate? Yahtzee!

Last? Good luck buddy and don't be a stranger.

Mike
  • emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Collect what makes you Happy. Huge collectible market w/eBay & other sources. Never expect to make a "profit"....I've bought "high" many times.

I love Vintage Baseball!! They aren't printing them anymore

Happy collecting!!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Many knowledgeable collectors here, and many great looking items shown here.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Collect what you like because you might be stuck with it one day. If you like it, you won't care that you're stuck with it. I don't collect much of the modern day stuff. I have a few Cubs like Schwarber, Rizzo, and Bryant. Most of my collection is vintage. You might want to consider some vintage. I see you're a Pirate fan. Do you like Clemente? Maybe do a combo of him and modern stuff.

• @TheMick said:
    Collect what you like because you might be stuck with it one day. If you like it, you won't care that you're stuck with it. I don't collect much of the modern day stuff. I have a few Cubs like Schwarber, Rizzo, and Bryant. Most of my collection is vintage. You might want to consider some vintage. I see you're a Pirate fan. Do you like Clemente? Maybe do a combo of him and modern stuff.

I ended up doing exactly that! Bought a few Clemente cards on eBay today. There was a set break (<- what does that mean exactly? That the seller is breaking up his set by selling?). I ended getting three different cards for ~$30. Two of the '72 Topps that featured him and his '70 Topps card.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards.

If you are doing this purely as a hobby and you want to enjoy it, just collect what makes you happy, stay within your budget and don't worry about prices going up or down. If you need to get a return on your purchases, then this is not a hobby for you and the enjoyment is going to be short lived.

For me it's a hobby and nothing else. The happiness I get from looking at my collection anytime I want is absolutely priceless as far as I'm concerned.

Happy collecting,
    Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@emar said:
    Collect what makes you Happy. Huge collectible market w/eBay & other sources. Never expect to make a "profit"....I've bought "high" many times.

I love Vintage Baseball!! They aren't printing them anymore

Happy collecting!!

AGREED ....