Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need help making a decision...84 Star Jordan 101 vs 86 Fleer Jordan Rookie

Trying to decide between 84 Star BGS 7.5 and 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 9. Which would you choose and why?

Comments

• I would need to see the centering on each card and know the price on each before making a final call.

If both are nicely centered, I'd go with the BGS. But at 7.5, that might be a tall order.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 3:57PM

Obviously it's a very personal and subjective call. That said, if I could only pick one, I would choose the Star 84. I keep them both side by side at work and find myself holding and looking at the Star more often; it just has that mystique.

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Go with the Star. Produced in far fewer numbers and a full two years earlier than the 86 Fleer.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 9:51PM

Go with the rookie. It seems to be more rare than the fleer.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

Get a decently centered Star.

• I'd take a

BGS~1 **1984 STAR #101 **

over a

PSA~9 1986 Fleer #57.

84-86 BGS GRADED JORDAN COLLECTOR

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 5:40AM

@pristinedreamer said:

I'd take a

BGS~1 **1984 STAR #101 **

over a

PSA~9 1986 Fleer #57.

hmmm. I cannot imagine that one will ever be price equivalent. I don't believe the fmv is even close to a PSA 9 or the potential increases a PSA 9 could have when a BGS 1 could realistically never go up.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Fleer all the way. Star cards are garbage. Never had one, never will.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Depends on you. Are you asking our opinion on each as it relates to investing? Or just which we prefer overall?
    I think as long as PSA stays out of grading Star cards the Fleer Jordan will have a much higher demand. If PSA were to decide to start grading Star Basketball again, the 84 Jordan will go nuts and blow past the 86F. I don't really like it, but PSA is a huge factor in this stuff. Always loved Star Basketball, but I much prefer the overall look of the 86F. I'd go with a really sharp PSA 9 86F. You probably won't lose whatever you do. Enjoy

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Fleer

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@ThoseBackPages said:
    Fleer

What he said.