Home Precious Metals
Options

PCGS Flip discussion

after 35+ years of collecting (off and on) Sports Cards and Comics, i have finally dipped my toe into the Coin pool (the water is cold AND deep, but thats a tale for another time)

i started doing the online reading thing last month and have learned a whole bunch.

what i am wondering is, what is up with all the different flips that PCGS is using for modern coins?

using Chinese Pandas for example... why are there Blue Flips, Blue Flips with the Chinese Flag, other color flips with bamboo on them, etc etc

what gives with this?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've assumed it was a marketing gimmick (sort of like First Strike), to encourage a collection interest in the slabs themselves. Some folks, for instance, like to have their coins in the same-looking slabs.

Hey. I didn't say it made sense.

• Options

@dpoole said:
    I've assumed it was a marketing gimmick (sort of like First Strike), to encourage a collection interest in the slabs themselves. Some folks, for instance, like to have their coins in the same-looking slabs.

Hey. I didn't say it made sense.

Thinking about it, that does make sense

put me in the group of liking the flips to look the same.

having said that, if i can save a few bucks, i will learn to live with the multi-flips (within reason, of course)

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the pool B)