Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Major gold errors

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 8, 2017 12:05PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just ran across this interesting error in gold.

How often do you see a major gold error? Post any you know of.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2017 12:17PM

very interesting coin for sure. And certified by our host to boot.
    here comes the but and with the but, the questions.:
    there are, at least in my mind, a few logical questions :neutral:
    how do you think it "slipped" past the final step of Quality Control and Quantity accounting?
    This coin must have caused some considerable ruckus around, and in the very high tech and (sensitive to unusual happenings) production machinery. Production "error" alarms must have sounded and most likely have stopped the machinery.
    Therefore, it must have been noticed and recorded. And, what about all the other "hands" and packaging equipment this obviously "different" item past through afterwards?
    This coin was not produced in the samemanner and machinery that produces billions of pennies....You are looking at a close to CAN $ 1000 coin
    right?? Why was it then not removed from the lot and prevented from leaving the mint?
    MMMmmm, makes me think how our host would explain this as a realistic mint error?
    I said it at least a thousand times: The RCM makes "errors" on purpose to keep collectors interest alert.
    Today's technologies do simply not allow for "errors" like this unless they are "meant to be made and set free".

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2017 1:29PM

@YQQ said:
    I said it at least a thousand times: The RCM makes "errors" on purpose to keep collectors interest alert.
    Today's technologies do simply not allow for "errors" like this unless they are "meant to be made and set free".

What some other interesting errors that have been set free?

• Options

Could it be a real error but released? This would still be different than a manufactured error.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I think anything said will be speculation as we never kniw how things truly occur unless ur there. Many people at jobs get lazy and complacent and some do things on purpose. Afraid its a guessing game past that.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

You didn't specify a date so...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zions,
    Please look at the so called errors with the many, many different Canada quarter series starting in the 80ties. millions and millions were made for circulation. boring, so the mint had to create some interest by "making" errors and feeding these into circulation purposely, not varieties... Just my opinion. They created the trend for collectors to start roll searching again. One of our Club members son found a quarter, true error as it is only the second known. it sold for over 15K at Moors auction.
    **It is my belief that today's technology and high tech equipment will detect almost any "not correctly completed" item before it even reaches quality control. ** The equipment used in 1985 was not far behind today's technology.
    Depending on the severity of the mechanical issue a coin experienced while being "made" , the item will either be automatically ejected or at the least indicated to the QC person. If the issue is of a more serious nature, like jams in the machinery etc, like for example the Op's gold coin, the machine will stop automatically until the issue is corrected. hence, the item is identified.
    What happens then to the object ( usually more than one) is up to the Mint and QC operators discretion or policy.
    Now, please have a close look at the OP 's gold piece and ask yourself: how did it pass through the minting process and QC?
    Did it have some "manual help? "
    this may not be how it is in reality, but I am convinced it is something very similar or even tougher for precious metal pieces.
    And please do not forget that the subject here is a limited edition Gold piece with (assumed) accurate accounting a given.
    Such an item may truly be a "allowed error within someones tolerances" . BUT should it have gone past QC?
    And the other question I have is this:
    Is it a legal coin, hypothetically and considering the above?
    No doubt, this item is a fantastic addition to every error collectors collection. I wish I had it.
    I have a Canadian Silver Dollar and 1 Cent piece which I have every reason to raise similar questions as I did above.

Can any of you perhaps re-construct the OP's error? How it became to be? would be interesting.
    thanks for reading my rant to the end.
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 1:13AM

Some Turkish Brockage as an example of errors that do get through today's technology.