Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Renaissance Papal Medal - Callixtus III

Pope Callixtus III
by Andrea Guacialoti, c. 1455-1458

Bronze, 42.7 mm Ø, 40.4 g

Obverse: Bust of Callixtus III facing left, wearing decorative mitre and cope. Around, · CΛLISTVS PΛPΛ TERTIVS (Callixtus III, Pope).

Reverse: Borgia coat of arms, with a standing ox facing left on shield, surmounted by crossed keys and papal tiara. Around, · ΛLFONSVS BORGIΛ GLORIΛ ISPΛNIE (Alfonso Borgia, Glory of Spain).

Alfons de Borja was born on December 31, 1378, in the Spanish Kingdom of Valencia. He was at one time a professor of law and served as diplomat to the Kings of Aragon. He was the founder of the family fortunes in Italy, under the Italianized name of Borgia. He was raised to the papacy on April 8, 1455, and ruled until his death on August 6, 1458. Austere and pious, he unfortunately surrounded himself with relatives and place-seekers. This medal, showing his coat of arms on the reverse with papal accompaniments, is the only contemporary medal of Callixtus.

References: Hill 1930, no. 747; Modesti 2002, no. 44; Pollard 2007a, no. 234

Now I just need to decide what to do with the other example that I own:

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Nice upgrade Joe, Congrats.

I have the pope covered by Maz 11 & 12 in my (at least one per) pope set, which have different/less detailed portraits. Your nice holed duplicate is quite special indeed.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!