Home Sports Talk
Options

The Masters 2017

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those interested, who do you like? Am going with Jordan Spieth to rebound from his terrible 12th hole quad bogey fiasco at last years Masters. I think he will look to avenge that defeat. He was on his way until that terrible 12th. Will also look forward to any opening day ceremony honoring "The King" Arnold Palmer. Tiger is out.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 5:10AM

will be rooting for Phil to add to his collection of green jackets. B)

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my passion was "anybody but Woods." Always a great tourney to watch though. I'll go with Spieth.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be rooting for Spieth, but if anyone is placing an actual bet I don't know how you could pick anybody but Dustin Johnson. He's won the last three tournaments he's entered, and finished top 6 in 7 of the 9 tournaments he's entered since last year's Tour Championship. Right now, he's playing every bit as well as Tiger Woods did in his prime.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin Rose

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost interest in golf when Jack, Arnie and Gary were gone. It's just not the same now. None of the current players could play with those guys.

• Options

Wow indeed. Tough break. If it was April 1st I'd of taken this for an April Fools Day joke.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

DJ WD.......a real shame

• Options
    edited April 6, 2017 11:45AM

@galaxy27 said:
    DJ WD.......a real shame

Not relevant, but it reminds me of the time Alan Trammell was playing Frankenstein on Halloween and injured himself falling off the stilts.

Better to leave the monster theatrics to Alice Cooper.

• Options

Good to see Sergio drift to the top of the board.

• Options

Looks like a competitive Sat/Sun. shaping up. 53 made the cut. The weather is on the improve for both days. Even 57 year old Fred Couples is in the hunt.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Wow indeed. Tough break. If it was April 1st I'd of taken this for an April Fools Day joke.

Sounds fake to me . There was a celtic , I think it might have been Rondo that "fell" and hurt his wrist I think. Cut his hand on a "window" maybe?

Drunk or stoned probably I smell a coverup :D

• Options

this could be epic -- mucho luminaries within striking distance

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2017 1:51PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I lost interest in golf when Jack, Arnie and Gary were gone. It's just not the same now. None of the current players could play with those guys.

Hardly true. When Jack, Arnie and Gary played there weren't as many good players as there is today. In any given tourney 50 guys could win today. Back then not so much. But as you said you don't follow anymore so you really couldn't know this. Golf is more global today. There are as many great foreign players today as Americans. Back in the 60's and 70's not so much. Competition was thinner back then

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Hardly true. When Jack, Arnie and Gary played there weren't as many good players as there is today. In any given tourney 50 guys could win today. Back then not so much. But as you said you don't follow anymore so you really couldn't know this.

mark

I'm saying that none of those 50 of today are as good as those 3 were in their day.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

Halfway through the 3rd round...Spieth is 2 back, but he's in control of this tournament right now.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Hardly true. When Jack, Arnie and Gary played there weren't as many good players as there is today. In any given tourney 50 guys could win today. Back then not so much. But as you said you don't follow anymore so you really couldn't know this.

mark

I'm saying that none of those 50 of today are as good as those 3 were in their day.

Hard to say. They were all great. They won a lot against weaker competition.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@jdip9 said:
    Halfway through the 3rd round...Spieth is 2 back, but he's in control of this tournament right now.

He is playing like a fiend

mark

• Options

"""Competition was thinner back then"""

...as were the fans.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    """Competition was thinner back then"""

...as were the fans.

He he ; )

mark

• Options

Final two pairings are incredible

Garcia/Rose
    Speith/Fowler

mark

• Options

I thought it was huge that Garcia made that final putt to play with Rose. I think he'll be much more comfortable playing with Rose than Spieth.

I know as an American, I'm supposed to root against Sergio, but I'm pulling for him to win. Spieth will win another 2 or 3 of these (or more), Fowler will contend again, and Rose has his major. The other guys in the Top 10 do nothing for me.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2017 8:06AM

Had a feeling this was going to get good. I personally would have no problem with anyone from the final two groups winning. Or A Scott, for that matter.

Sergio - No one has ever questioned his ball-striking; he has always been one of the very best on tour. It is going to boil right down to his flat stick. Can it hold up under immense R4 pressure at Augusta?

Fowler - I said on another board about a week ago that I felt very strongly he is going to win a major this year. It is time -- he possesses the full arsenal. I just didn't think it was going to happen THIS quickly. He's completely fearless when it comes to short putts, and that will serve him well today.

Spieth - All I'm going to say is this: If he wins his 2nd green jacket after carding a 9 and besting Fowler (by 2), Garcia (by 3) and Rose (by 3) in the final round, then it will officially be time to change his name to Michael Jordan Spieth.

Rose - Per my post on April 5, I picked this guy. And I'm certainly not wavering now. He's an upper-echelon tour player with a swing I'd give up a portion of my life savings for. Moreover, he's a shrewd tactician with a proven track record at the Masters. He may be the least sexy pick of the four, but he could very well be the right one.

Enjoy boys...

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see Garcia win and get that monkey off his back.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

I like all of the top four and wouldn't mind any of them winning. Kinda pulling for Sergio. What a ball striker

mark

• Options

I sense a playoff or in regulation play a one stroke winner. If Sergio finishes second again would be a heartbreaking loss to take. He has enough of those top five finishes already. What a great day and tournament whoever wins. Spring has officially arrived, What a great pre match coverage, 1-2PM East Coast time, with the tribute to Arnie and his last interview ever. Good job CBS and Nantz.

• Options

SERGIO! SERGIO! SERGIO!

mark

• Options

Nice clean and quick finish in OT.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

very happy to see Sergio finally break through with a Major!

• Options

Sergio and Rose put on a ball-striking exhibition today. Happy for Sergio. I don't think he's done winning majors - he has an Open Championship in him. Too many Top 10's in that tournament not to win it eventually.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2017 7:44AM

Fowler & Spieth were nowhere to be found, yet it didn't matter. It's a tradition unlike any other.

I was fully prepared for El Niño to fold like a tent after bogeys at 10 & 11 and pumping it into the trees on 13. Game ovah, I thought. Then, it's as if Severiano flipped a switch from the Heavens. He started pummeling drives, splitting fairways and peppering flags with short irons from that point onward. Dude played possessed golf and is very deserving of his first green jacket.

Eldrick even fired off a terse tweet!

• Options

Ratings were down 11% from last year. Too bad, that 11% missed a good match.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2017 10:52PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Ratings were down 11% from last year. Too bad, that 11% missed a good match.

I really couldn't get up a bunch of enthusiasm this year. Barely watched any TV first three days but checked the scoring on the net. Watched perhaps the final 3 or 4 holes plus OT Sunday.

I miss Tiger.

:|

• Options
    edited April 20, 2017 5:19PM

@Coinstartled said:
    I miss Tiger.

:|

Fourth back surgery in as many years today. I've never particularly liked the guy, but words can't express how much I've missed him from a purely golf perspective. I've had wet dreams consisting of a rehabilitated Tiger battling these young guns, but I'm now forcing myself to come to grips with reality.

He's done.

• Options

Woods is a smart golfer but just went under the knife for his back for the fourth or fifth time.

Docs ain't that good, Tiger.