Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Baltimore Show Summary

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2017 4:55AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Came in by train early morning Thursday, heading straight to the bourse floor. I was tired from prior days running around and early wake up, but managed to get my energy back through multiple cups of coffee at the train station and show. I like the venue even though it has a relatively low world coin footprint in terms of specialized dealers or auction focus. However, easy access, and intimate which allows full coverage of the show floor. Friendly dealers across the floor. My expectations for the show therefore were to simply enjoy the time away from home having an opportunity to look at coins and meet "coin people". This possibly explains some of the impulse, non core, purchases which a friend-dealer suggested as a way to handle boredom.

A lesson relearned is that coins get the best and worst out of people - selfish, self obsessed, competitive behaviors vs. genuine camaraderie. I prefer the former as we all get the latter in our daily routine, yet passion and personality traits manifest themselves in different ways across the collector base as opportunities present themselves.

I start my day by dropping coins with Todd Pollack at BluCC Photo. Great guy always friendly... it must be a CA thing. I warn him that other coins may be added which they were. I comb the floor and head out to meet Chris and James at Atlas's table. Superb inventory by far the broadest and qualitative in the industry. James actually turned me off another coin I was considering and we converged on this one that they brought over for me to look at. In Europe would be pounced upon, yet is sort of a sleeper here. Low mintage somewhat conditionally scarce one year type with nice original skin.

1865-A. Austria. Emperor of Austria Franz Joseph (1848-1916) 2 Thaler. Vienna mint. DAV-23. KM-2249. Mintage: 7,425. Obv: Laureate head right. Rev: Crowned imperial double eagle. PCGS MS-62.

I continue my tour of the floor and come across a dealer, American Coin & Stamp Brokerage, with a bunch of conditionally scarce Israeli coins. These types can be easily found on Ebay at any given time at close to melt, yet nowhere near such condition. I buy all five which is somewhat insane given the duplicates, yet figure its sensible given the quality at hand. Very friendly group of people with a wide variety of coins for everyone.

2 coins of 1967, 10 Lirot. Victory Commemorative, Six Day War. 37.15mm. KM-49. Mintage: 50,420. Obv: The Western Wall. Around the lower border, to the right, the date of its restoration to Jewish worship, in Hebrew "28th day of lyar 5727" and "1967" in English. Rev: In the center, the emblem of the Israel Defense Forces, against a stylized star. Around the upper border, between the rays of the star, the word "Israel" in Arabic, Hebrew and English. Around the lower border, the face value"10 Israeli Lirot" in Hebrew. PCGS PF-68.

2 coins of 1967. Port of Eilat. Israel's 19th Anniversary of Independence Coin. Mintage: 30,158. Obv: A large numeral "5", representing the face value, spreads across the coin surface. To the left, is the currency "Israeli Lirot" in Hebrew. In the lower curve of the "5", in the lower right-hand-side of the coin, engraved is the word "Israel" in Hebrew and Arabic and the mint year "5727-1967" in Hebrew and English. Rev: The Hebrew inscription, around the upper border, "A Decade of Eilat's Port". Beneath, a stylized lighthouse, the seawall, roof line and gate of the lighthouse together form the Hebrew letters of "Eilat". PCGS MS-68.

Last one is a PR-65 Cameo of the 1975 Israel Bond Program.

I give up on finding additional Talers for my collection and then stumble across this type that I did not expect to find at our uber friendly forum dealer, Mr. Eureka's table. Prelim image by Todd of this is neat coin.

1805-M. Ferdinand (1803-1806). Salzburg as Grand Duchy. 1-Year Type. DAV-44. Probszt 2606, Zöttl 3409. KM-497. Obv: Bare head of Ferdinand as Prince-elector and Grand Duke of Salzburg right. Rev: Ducal crown on multiple coat-of arms of the Prince-elector. This type, issued in 1805 after Salzburg was secularized and handed over to an Austrian archduke, is fairly scarce. An appealing example struck while Napoleon was on the move in the vicinity, with the 1806 issue being the last issue from this locale. Attractive rosette illuminated proof like surfaces. NGC MS-65 PL.

I spend my evening watching a bit of the US auction that took place. Amazing to see so much money spent per coin compared with darkside material, which to me, is more attractive, yet to each their own. I then get a drink with a friend and crash setting a late wake up as the show started at 10AM.

The second day was really all about meeting people - coinkat, Tibor, and dealers whom I know, as well as two 30 year old dealers who focus on colorful coins and have not met in person. They did not have a table yet met them in a seating area where I catch a breather. Very passionate and excited about what they do which was great - I end up selling them one of my coins and buying this random NCLT Turks & Caicos issue which is really not for me, yet isn't it cool? I can attribute this to boredom or simply liking these younger guys and their excitement about the coin. Shows us all that we should always talk to strangers!

Overall, a fun 2 days (one night) in a very pleasant show. Highly recommended.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 7:45PM

Nice write-up with some great looking coins, Z!

A lesson relearned is that coins get the best and worst out of people - selfish, self obsessed, competitive behaviors vs. genuine camaraderie. I prefer the former as we all get the latter in our daily routine, yet passion and personality traits manifest themselves in different ways across the collector base as opportunities present themselves.

Yup, an unpleasant lesson to learn for sure. Especially when those behaviours are exhibited by folks you thought were above that. I understand why people do it, but have no interest in drama when it comes to my collecting, so I just ignore the source and move on.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report... I was hoping that you were going to post pictures of the commems from Israel. I really like the Mid Century look of these. The design and overall look of these are truly remarkable. It was a good show... Glad that we were able to chat and catch up. I am amazed at what you manage to find. The Austrian talers were amazing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff! Sorry I missed you, though Friday I'm not sure my brain was screwed in right by the time I was walking around there. Excellent photos as usual, and interesting material---and love the impulse buys. Keeps things interesting.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, Z. I especially like the 1805-M. Ferdinand followed by the 1865-A. Austria.

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 4:47AM

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 4:47AM

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the report. Great pick ups!!!

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar : Great show report!

I love your newps --

The 1805 deserves proper pics, but I can tell it's a show-stopper. :sunglasses:

The 1865 is also lovely. :grin:

While I don't care for the Israeli coin designs, the state of preservation is clearly superb and special. :wink:

And, the 4-portrait Vicky 20 Crowns is just cool! :sunglasses:

:+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the interesting show report.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual great read - cool adventures.

That 1805 is a def keeper I bet!..and from a rather nice guy indeed..

The Turks is totally out of your box...great EA, but what's next? Canteen chits? Beads? :#

The Israeli pieces are nice too - nice EA
    - that 10 IL is a great piece

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those coins are beautiful. Well done.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭

That coin from Mr Eureca is absolutely outstanding. So is the report.

You should print your show reports and keep them separately. Not the entire thread(s), just your OPs. In a decade from now, you'll thank me for suggesting this. B)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Dimitri and will do I thought you would jump at the Turks and Caicos piece- that purchase was the inner kid in me!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still debating the Turks and Caicos piece with myself. Not the exceptional eye appeal, toning etc, but the very odd denomination, 20 crowns!?! 5 crowns per portrait, is kind of confusing, because it's adding up to 5 sovereigns, one and a quarter per portrait. :p

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 10:42AM

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    ... 5 crowns per portrait, is kind of confusing ...

Even more confusing if you consider there is no crown on the first portrait ;)