Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1804 Dexter Dollar Affidavits by Mint Officials?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2018 7:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 1804 Dexter Dollar has a very interesting history, part of which is that James Vila Dexter of Colorado thought the coin was a restrike fraudulently sold to him as an original when he purchased it for $1,000 in 1885 from Henry and Samuel H. Chapman. He initiated legal action and stood down only after he was provided by signed affidavits of authenticity by Mint officials. Does anyone have copies of these affidavits?

Here's the TrueView for the coin:

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

would copies be in the national archives?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    would copies be in the national archives?

Perhaps. Could be interesting to fund a search of the National Archives by @RogerB.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The archives have several letters about 1804 dollars (and 1805s and 1793s). I have not come across the Chapman items but they might be there, There are 'only' a few million pages ---

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

I have a client that has an 1804 dollar with mint authentication papers, but I do not believe that there are papers for the Dexter $. His coin was purchased in 1970, privately from Stack's.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE the D. Only adds character and history and doesn't diminish a single thing

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2017 2:30PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I LOVE the D. Only adds character and history and doesn't diminish a single thing

mark

I think the D is great from provenance and history perspectives. I do wonder if more people should do it to add history to coins.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The story is fantastic

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I LOVE the D.
    mark

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins wrote, "The 1804 Dexter Dollar has a very interesting history, part of which is that James Vila Dexter of Colorado thought the coin was a restrike fraudulently sold to him as an original when he purchased it for $1,000 in 1885 from Henry and Samuel H. Chapman. He initiated legal action and stood down only after he was provided by signed affidavits of authenticity by Mint officials. Does anyone have copies of these affidavits?"

The subject of the Dexter 1804 Dollar of 1804 is covered in detail in "The Dollar of 1804 / The Mint's Hidden Secret...as revealed by the true story of the "Dexter Dollar," the King of American Coins" by Mark Ferguson (Numisma Publishing, LLC, 2014). A few of the chapters that help answer @Zoins question include, "Stirring Correspondence-After the Auction," "Genuineness of Dexter's Dollar Challenged," and "Legal Test of Genuineness Advances to Trial. The book is approximately 300 pages.

Information on this book and pricing is available at Ferguson's 1804 Dollar website, 1804Dollar.com .

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Julian said:
    I have a client that has an 1804 dollar with mint authentication papers, but I do not believe that there are papers for the Dexter $. His coin was purchased in 1970, privately from Stack's.

Class III? Interesting

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I completely agree. So much so, that I began this afternoon to counterstamp all of mine.

Thanks

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@coinhack said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I completely agree. So much so, that I began this afternoon to counterstamp all of mine.

Thanks

Where's the best spot? Middle of the eagles chest?

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file