Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be the least expensive avenue for getting a TrueView for non "TrueViewed" PCGS coins?

MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to get a TrueView for some of my PCGS coins that do not have a TrueView.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose a reholder-with-a-TV submission.
    Lance.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Lance said...or find someone who can image your coins for you.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re holder using secure service. Secure adds 5 bucks to the cost and includes a photo, vs 10 bucks for adding on the photo by itself. This is all in addition to the re holder and shipping fees. Drop off at a show to save on shipping.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Secure Plus Reholder ... Economy ... that Costs $17 ... The TrueView is included for "free" with that $17 fee

If you do a Regular Reholder ... Economy ... that costs $12 .. but then you need to explicitly order the TrueView alacarte for an additional $10 fee ... Total cost $22

So you save $5 per coin/slab ... by doing a Secure Plus Reholder

Note that NON Secure Plus Slabs are RUBBER STAMPED into Secure Plus Slabs

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing to watch is I think there is a $300 coin value limit with economy ... if your coin is worth more than $300 you have to do Secure Plus Reholder -- Regular ... can't remember the cost but it's still cheaper that way

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

REHOLDER None** 5 days $12

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

**PCGS Reholder does not have maximum coin value for the $12/$17 fee

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The service is great and that's why it's expensive. I have no answer aside from the fact that I admire frugality.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Secure Plus Reholder ... Economy ... that Costs $17 ... The TrueView is included for "free" with that $17 fee

If you do a Regular Reholder ... Economy ... that costs $12 .. but then you need to explicitly order the TrueView alacarte for an additional $10 fee ... Total cost $22

Does the original holder have to be secure plus to get use Secure Plus Reholder? I am assuming so.

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Many great ideas.
    If you just need professional images, I have a registered and insured professional service that can provide you the images for $5/coin + shipping both ways.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others said secure plus is the way to go.
    If you submit a top population coin they will photo it sometimes for free. Also when you submit certain varieties they have done free images. Like plate coins for coin facts (I've made a few :blush: ) I have had 4 free images from variety submissions. I wonder/think the truview images ($10 option) are higher quality? I'll find out soon. I sent in 26 nickels all with secure plus service level. Depending on that group I may do all future submissions in secure plus.

It's my understanding that secure plus and truview saves the images, and cracked out coins will be recognized in the future... can anyone confirm this.
    Will this kill the Kraken?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tyler267 said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Does the original holder have to be secure plus to get use Secure Plus Reholder? I am assuming so.

No, you can specify secure plus re-holder for a non secure plus holder.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    It's my understanding that secure plus and truview saves the images, and cracked out coins will be recognized in the future... can anyone confirm this.

Cracked-out coins would only be recognized if they are again submitted for Secure Plus grading. Otherwise they are not digitally scanned and compared to what's in the database.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin Does that then create a dilemma for people who unknowingly buy a previously cracked out coin, and submit for secure plus?
    For example
    Buyer A submits under secure plus and sells graded coin to Buyer B.
    Buyer B cracks and submits normal, then sells re graded coin to Buyer C

Buyer C submits for secure plus...
    Then what? Denial? Down grade? Permanently locked in grade?

I'm just curious. I have only ever cracked ngc, and Anacs for PCGS holdering.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I have submitted several coins that were in a Secure plus holder and have received an upgrade.
    They were submitted in the holder.
    I have not yet received an upgrade and then a second upgrade on the same coin, but I have a few candidates that received a + grade that I feel should be the next grade up. ;)

• Options

@10000lakes said:
    I have submitted several coins that were in a Secure plus holder and have received an upgrade.
    I have not yet received an upgrade and then a second upgrade on the same coin, but I have a few candidates that received a + grade that I feel should be the next grade up. ;)

Was this under a reconsideration/ regrade submission?

Great info. Sorry to derail from photos topic

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, you can enter in the cert number on the PCGS site and sometimes they take pics of your coin as an example or from another individual paying for a TruView.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@10000lakes said:

Was this under a reconsideration/ regrade submission?

Great info. Sorry to derail from photos topic

It was a Secure regrade submission. (coins were In an existing Secure holder).
    So at least from my experience, being in a current Secure holder, does not prevent the coin from receiving an upgrade.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    @lkeigwin Does that then create a dilemma for people who unknowingly buy a previously cracked out coin, and submit for secure plus?
    For example
    Buyer A submits under secure plus and sells graded coin to Buyer B.
    Buyer B cracks and submits normal, then sells re graded coin to Buyer C

Buyer C submits for secure plus...
    Then what? Denial? Down grade? Permanently locked in grade?

I'm just curious. I have only ever cracked ngc, and Anacs for PCGS holdering.

I see no dilemma. PCGS's interest is to ensure the coin hasn't been doctored in some fashion.

So, buyer C's submission is ID'd by Secure Plus's system and the new Secure Plus digital scans are compared to the original ones.

Assuming no hanky panky is found, PCGS will regrade the coin. It may go up or down. The earlier judgment is not binding.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 10:27PM

Definitely secure plus. Wow just got these back today. All varieties!!! The 1952s are all Top Pop. :wink: for now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file