Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Baltimore Spring 2017 [Thursday + Friday]

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2017 5:24PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Got here late due to lane closures on the interstate for tree trimming. Lost 40 minutes of what is ordinarily a 2.5h drive.

I had an appointment at 2pm to pay for and pick up two Anglo-Saxon coins, and managed to get to the dealer by around 2:10pm. Not too bad.

This coin is ex-Baldwin's basement inventory, and here is their description:

Early Anglo-Saxon Period (c.600-775), Post Crondall Type. Circa 655-675. Pale Gold Thrymsa, Pada type III.

Diademed bust right and legend, rev small cross with pellet centre, annulets in angles within beaded circle and with runic legend surrounding, 1.26g (Metcalf 82; N.31; S.770). Toned, good very fine and very rare.

The dealer from whom I bought this coin claims it is circa 675 due to die emission research. As such, he attributes it to Hlothere of Kent (673-685). He also notes that this is a Rigold PADA type PAIIIb. He grades it EF. No matter the grade, what is exceptional about this tiny coin is that it is apparently of much higher purity. Most of these transitional pieces are of such low grade gold that one sometimes cannot tell the difference between a 'pale gold' SCBC 770 and a sceatt SCBC 773.

The second coin is (now cataloged as) SCBC 808A and was from Triton X lot 1308. Here is that lot description:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas. Circa 725-735/45. AR Sceatta (0.78 g, 6h). Series Q, type IE. Mint in the east Midlands.

Diademed and draped bust right; cross and pellets to right / Bird standing left; pellets around. Metcalf 383; North 133; SCBC 836B 808A. Superb EF, lightly toned. Well struck on excellent metal.

I then met up with Zohar and we went to the Atlas table to look at his amazing bunch of eye candy. Zohar and I looked a few lots of major interest to him, but I will let him discuss that if he desires (frankly, I don't remember them that well because they are not my area of interest).

For the stuff I like, which were German States and Italian States, I looked at a bunch of the ones that caught my eye on his web site, selected about two hands full of them for additional review, and finally whittled the bunch down to two minor silver pieces and three crown-sized pieces. They were amazing. Even most of the "rejects" from the second pass were amazing but I had to be arbitrarily selective... Not being well financed like Farouk or Pogue, I grudgingly settled on a single killer piece. Here is their description:

ITALIAN STATES. Papal States. MDCLXXVI (1676) AR Piastra, Scudo of 80 Bolognini. NGC MS65. Arms of Cardinal Paluzzo Paluzzi-Altieri / Radiant dove. KM 391; Dav 4084.

Sede Vacante issue. Superb original gem, beautifully toned and extremely rare in this quality.

Ex-Asta Kunst XXI, 1980, Lot 512 (1,000,000 Lire). Includes original collector's ticket.

It killed me to acquire only one piece, but who knows what the future has in store for me.

After finishing up with Atlas, I felt emotionally depleted. I wandered to another dealer's table (James Beach) and bought a really cool piece that I really know little about but it was very low price compared to the above three purchases. (Image taken with my iPhone in my hotel room, and stitched together by OriginalDan -- thanks!)

GERMAN STATES, Harz. AR Baptismal Broad Taler. Dated March 1616, circa 1650. Zellerfeld mint.

Saint John baptizing Christ in the River Jordan. Scarce early variety. Near EF. Choice, toned.

I would appreciate some help from the membership in identifying the catalog attribution for my Harz piece. I googled, and came up with something called Knyphausen 7295, with no Katsouros #. I did a reverse google search (of Knyphausen 7295) and came up with a baptismal double taler of a different design. And, Zohar tells me that it must have a Katsouros catalog number. I have never heard of Knyphausen, and do not own a Katsouros book.

But whatever this piece is, it is very cool looking and relatively inexpensive.

After buying that piece, I decided to try to consign some of my coins. Fingers crossed... Eventually made my way back to the hotel room and rested a bit before going to a birthday dinner at a nearby churrascaria where he treated a few of us long-time friends for his 50th birthday. (The few of us have known each other for about 20 years -- all due to coins!)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little write up, you always seem to find some action at the shows.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2017 9:13PM

@OriginalDan said:
    Nice little write up, you always seem to find some action at the shows.

Thanks, but you know the saying "there's a sucker born every minute"? Apparently I get reborn often. :'(

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Very nice italian states piece.

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Beautiful piastra!

In the left field of the reverse, are those a couple of vertical scrapes (next to the wing, and beneath it) or something else? I am trying to better understand the images.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    Diademed and draped bust right; cross and pellets to right / Bird standing left; pellets around. Metcalf 383; North 133; SCBC 836B 808A. Superb EF, lightly toned. Well struck on excellent metal.

That piece is superb! Love the bird, and the bust is much better than standard! :+1::sunglasses:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Thanks, all, for the comments.

@Iosephus said:
    Beautiful piastra!

In the left field of the reverse, are those a couple of vertical scrapes (next to the wing, and beneath it) or something else? I am trying to better understand the images.

Joe, the coin is with Todd for a beauty shot, and I'm using my iPhone. I'll take a closer look later when I get the coin back.

EVP

• Options

@Iosephus said:
    Beautiful piastra!

Sadly, yes, those are scrapes from unfortunate post mint activity (I can't bear to use the "D" word). Luckily, they are not very distracting. In fact, when I first saw that, I actually thought it was a toning streak. It doesn't bother me much.

EVP

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Iosephus said:
    Beautiful piastra!

Sadly, yes, those are scrapes from unfortunate post mint activity (I can't bear to use the "D" word). Luckily, they are not very distracting. In fact, when I first saw that, I actually thought it was a toning streak. It doesn't bother me much.

EVP

Thanks for updating, I'm glad to hear that they're not distracting in person. I like your term of "post mint activity" - I'll have to borrow that for my pieces!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Scudo is totally marvelous indeed..love that EA !

• Options

Thanks @marcmoish.

@Iosephus said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@Iosephus said:
    Beautiful piastra!

EVP

Thanks for updating, I'm glad to hear that they're not distracting in person. I like your term of "post mint activity" - I'll have to borrow that for my pieces!

Hmmm... I wonder if I am psyching myself out on the Papal States reverse unfortunate "post mint activity". I've thought about it a couple of times since my assertion that it doesn't bother me much. The truth is that I'm not sure. The obverse is superb. The reverse is too, minus those "activity" areas. I told another person yesterday that I didn't think the coin was a solid GEM, but that it was priced commensurate to my expectation for a near GEM.

James Ricks defended the grade, but admitted that he felt it was somewhat on the generous side (suggesting that he felt it was a borderline coin). In any case, I really like it but a bit less now because someone else highlighted the scrapes. (No, I do not want anyone to sugarcoat their comments to me: be honest and direct, and if possible be constructive.)

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017 5:30PM

Friday was essentially a half day for me, but also a big day. I got up this morning thinking about two of the Italian States crown-sized pieces that stayed behind. I discussed it with my close friend with whom I am sharing a room here, told him my financial situation and the domestic situation as well as about the special opportunity presented by these two coins. He told me that under the circumstances (no need for TMI here), I should go make another play for them. Ever the weak person, I took his 'ok' as an official green light. I did tell him that if my wife asks any "dangerous" questions, that I'd tell her that my friend told me to do so. :smiley:

Another friend came to our room as we were gathering for some quick crackouts, breakfast and the LSCC meeting, and he gave me the same advice on those two pieces. So now I can tell my wife that TWO wise and dear friends told me to do so. B)>:)o:)

After the LSCC meeting (you dark siders won't be interested in the details of that -- it's about US Liberty Seated coinage), I made a beeline to Atlas and made a deal for those two coins. James was kind enough to discount it a bit more (from yesterday's reduction) to ease the pain.

ITALIAN STATES. Modena. Ercole III d'Este. 1782 AR 3 Scudi. NGC MS64. HERCVLES · III · D · G · .... Bust left / PROXIMA SOLI ·. Crowned shield in Order chain. C 19.1; Dav 1393; MIR 857/1, CNI 2, Ravegnani M. 3.

We note that an NGC MS61 example of the date realized $6037 including the Buyer's Premium in May, 2008. Superb satiny luster, cabinet patina.

Ex-Leo Vogel, 1924. Includes original collector's tickets.

[EVP: the auction record cited by Atlas is the Millenia coin. The sale of that Goldberg-assembled collection brought prices that many dealers felt were ahead of the market befitting the collection's marketing name. A more relevant price point is a very nice MS62 specimen that recently sold via an online portal by a well regarded member of our online family. Using that as the nearest comparable, I felt less distressed about the deal.]

ITALIAN STATES. Pisa. Ferdinand I de'Medici. 1604 AR Tallero. NGC MS64. Half-length bust right / Coat of arms. KM 15; Dav 4186; MIR 443/5, Di Giulio 45, CNI 24, Ravegnani M. 24.

The Tallero coinage was primarily used in trade with the Levant. Superb quality for this crude type, lovely cabinet patina.

Includes original collector's ticket.

[EVP: the eagle-eyed among us will notice the planchet defect that is most noticeable at 6h on the reverse. It is extremely obvious in the image, but actually much less so in hand because the shadow is greatly accentuated in the image.]

After writing the check, I walk over to @blu62vette (Todd @ BluCC) and drop off my six newps. Walked around some more looking at books and supplies, talking to dealers, saw a really gorgeous Draped Bust 25c in PCGS 58 CAC, ate lunch, picked up my coins from Todd, and came back to the room to sleep.

All my friends in my long-time Baltimore clique are at the SB Pogue V sale at JHU. (Most of my friends are lite-siders.) I prefer a nice evening of Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods and a crab cake sandwich.

As for what I will do Saturday, I will decide when I wake up.

• Options

@brg5658 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

That piece is superb! Love the bird, and the bust is much better than standard! :+1::sunglasses:

Brandon,

@Nap and I discussed this coin prior to my reaching out to the seller. We both loved the coin, and felt that this was a true "keeper" specimen of a rare type. It fits the trifecta of desirability: high grade, nice eye appeal and rarity.

EVP

• Options

That Ferdinand I tallero is wonderful! It looks like there is also an interesting planchet flaw at 5h on the reverse? Always good to see some more Italian states coinage around here, congrats on the pickups!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017 6:14PM

@Iosephus said:
    That Ferdinand I tallero is wonderful! It looks like there is also an interesting planchet flaw at 5h on the reverse? Always good to see some more Italian states coinage around here, congrats on the pickups!

You may have missed this from my prior post:

[EVP: the eagle-eyed among us will notice the planchet defect that is most noticeable at 6h on the reverse. It is extremely obvious in the image, but actually much less so in hand because the shadow is greatly accentuated in the image.]

Is that what you mean?

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Iosephus said:

You may have missed this from my prior post:

Is that what you mean?

No, I saw the planchet flaw. I was talking about what looks like raised metal going from the shield to the 'E' at 5h in the inscription.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017 6:49PM

@Iosephus said:

No, I saw the planchet flaw. I was talking about what looks like raised metal going from the shield to the 'E' at 5h in the inscription.

Yes, that is raised metal. Looks like a die issue. That would be a pre mint activity. :p

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Iosephus said:

Yes, that is raised metal. Looks like a die issue. That would be a pre mint activity. :p

I just re-read my first post and noticed I wrote planchet flaw, but I meant die flaw! It's been one of those days ...

Anyway, congrats again on the great coins!

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

.........if my wife asks any "dangerous" questions..........

Hmm. This sounds familiar. How many others have the same "situation"?

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 12:17PM

Just got home. Tired. Went to the show briefly in the morning and saw a woman that might have been Stork walking kind of quickly across the bourse. Stalked her briefly then decided it was probably not her.

Good news: wife not home to ask any "dangerous" questions.

Edited to add: heard from my friend about Pogue V. The venue was very nice. The lots were a mixed bag of quality for the grade as well as prices realized. He won a large cent in RB for almost half what Pogue paid in 2009. Good for him.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

I like it too.

I almost bought it when it hit auction last year but wasn't in the right financial position. Sometimes you only get one shot. From the pictures it looks like one of the finest series Q sceats, and the design and metal appear to be quite good for the time. I actually think it rather belongs in EVP's high quality collection of sceattas, rather than my collection of varying grades.

I look forward to seeing it in hand.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I had a good Saturday show just walking and talking. I did buy (surprise!) a Franklin Mint rarity that I've never seen:

1984 Barbados $10 in specimen unc. I'v never seen that before (in 30 years). The seller insisted it was the proof silver, and I could not convince them otherwise so I just bought it at his price.

PCGS had a very slow line with some submitters in extra slow motion; stupid me should have made the NGC visit first as they closed up shop on Saturday at 11 am. Once I got there, they zoomed on through (possibly because I try to make sure I have my cr-- together).

I talked with Karl Stephens a bit, and got some of his input about the spate of recent specimen King's Norton releases. Very interesting bits he had to share. I wish I had his connections!

I liked the US Mint 225 Anniversary coin & looked better in person IMO & liked the silver medal versions too, even though their relief was not as high.

Bought one of the Obama 1st Inauguration medals in full size for my son and then for good measure, an "Animal Crackers" Mounds 5 oz. quarter and one of the proof SAEs with "W" mintmark. They were especially nice at the mint kiosk!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 2:22PM

Hooray for Captain Spaulding...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

That is a killer piastra. Very hard to find in that condition. Sede vacante issue is just icing on the cake.

• Options

@Nap said:

I like it too.

I almost bought it when it hit auction last year but wasn't in the right financial position. Sometimes you only get one shot. From the pictures it looks like one of the finest series Q sceats, and the design and metal appear to be quite good for the time. I actually think it rather belongs in EVP's high quality collection of sceattas, rather than my collection of varying grades.

I look forward to seeing it in hand.

Thanks. I think back at the many coins that got away and that is bad enough. But, to see them re-appear with another dealer at a MUCH higher price makes it so much worse. This sceatt, fortunately, did not increase in price by much. Others, like an Charles I half-pound (I know where the got-away coin is), an Ecgberht of Wessex penny and an Edward the Martyr penny -- yikes!

@worldcoinguy said:
    That is a killer piastra. Very hard to find in that condition. Sede vacante issue is just icing on the cake.

Thanks. Yeah, I must confess that I have a bug for the sede vacante issues too. I haven't written my tags for the three Italian States pieces yet, but am looking forward to doing that over the course of this week (or next weekend). Took me all weekend to decide what to write for the two Anglo-Saxon pieces and the Harz tauftaler.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

Edited to add: heard from my friend about Pogue V. The venue was very nice. The lots were a mixed bag of quality for the grade as well as prices realized.

Slightly off-topic, I thought the venue, Garrett's stable (or carriage house, if you prefer to be more genteel), was a poor choice. The venue was complete with a marble gravestone for a "dear friend," perhaps a dog or favorite horse, smack dab in the middle of the floor.

When I heard Evergreen House, I presumed we'd be in the mansion itself. A fitting place for a numismatic auction of such significance. No such luck. Not even a glimpse.

Garrett would be turning in his grave.

I do agree with your comment about the quality and prices though. Mixed bag all around.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:

Agreed!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    Just got home. Tired. Went to the show briefly in the morning and saw a woman that might have been Stork walking kind of quickly across the bourse. Stalked her briefly then decided it was probably not her.

If that was Saturday, I was in polka dots and still with the red purse...I did get to say hello to a few people, but was focused on the tables and probably walked by people I would have liked to talk to.

Friday afternoon I had talked to Julian/Bonanza at the front table--he asked me something about a pre-Meiji coin when I walked in but I needed to check my book (which I'd left in the hotel). Saturday morning I stopped by his table again to tell him what I'd found then made a bee line to the darkside part of the room. It's the only time I might have been walking fast :smile:

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    ITALIAN STATES. Modena. Ercole III d'Este. 1782 AR 3 Scudi. NGC MS64. HERCVLES · III · D · G · .... Bust left / PROXIMA SOLI ·. Crowned shield in Order chain. C 19.1; Dav 1393; MIR 857/1, CNI 2, Ravegnani M. 3.

We note that an NGC MS61 example of the date realized $6037 including the Buyer's Premium in May, 2008. Superb satiny luster, cabinet patina.

Ex-Leo Vogel, 1924. Includes original collector's tickets.

[EVP: the auction record cited by Atlas is the Millenia coin. The sale of that Goldberg-assembled collection brought prices that many dealers felt were ahead of the market befitting the collection's marketing name. A more relevant price point is a very nice MS62 specimen that recently sold via an online portal by a well regarded member of our online family. Using that as the nearest comparable, I felt less distressed about the deal.]

I really like this one, and as long as you aren't murdered by your wife for buying it you did very well.

• Options

@OriginalDan said:

I really like this one, and as long as you aren't murdered by your wife for buying it you did very well.

My wife did ask "dangerous" questions, which caused me to walk away from her with a huff and a grumble. But so far, still alive!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 5:45PM

T> @EVillageProwler said:

@OriginalDan said:

My wife did ask "dangerous" questions, which caused me to walk away from her with a huff and a grumble. But so far, still alive!

very striking piece that Tallero but not at that expense imho....not worth it! ;)

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

If the provenance of the very first coin that you posted is the Baldwin's basement, where I've been a few times, I wonder how it escaped from the new ownership, aka Steve Fenton.

Show reports at the Darkside, and in particular the write ups, keep getting better and better, to the extent that I'd think twice before posting anything, in the hypothetical case that I had been to a show and would have liked to share. EVP and a few others have turned them into (an art and) my favorite subjects to read, along with the excellent images , and the real treasures that they contain. Congratulations on everything.

A "huff and a grumble" were enough to save you.... hmmmm, very understanding better half. ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN

I can't say exactly how the thrymsa left the BB, but I'll tell you what I was told by the (latest) seller: he bought it in 2016 from someone who bought it from Baldwin's. My seller then had it for several months, including at NYINC 2017 and I am pretty sure also at Baltimore November 2016. Now it's mine. Looking back at 2016, the coin may have left the BB during the time of the changeover. I'm just speculating.

I'm also pleased that you like our show reports. Zohar is a great writer. I try to emulate him and others (but especially him). For example, Zohar's posts are replete with nice pictures, data about the coin and other nice context. If my posts are a pale version of his, I feel I have achieved something.

As for my wife, well, I am blessed to have her. She is great in so many ways; last year she dragged me out my deepest despair when my beloved canine shadow left me for the rainbow bridge.

EVP

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2017 6:54AM

[i] She is great in so many ways; last year she dragged me out my deepest despair when my beloved canine shadow left me for the rainbow bridge.[/i]

I'm really sorry to hear this. I have first hand knowledge of this particular pain. :'(

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3