Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grading Video Games?

I happened to see this today on Dave & Adams. I guess a company called VGA is grading factory sealed video games. Do people actually collect and grade old video games? Have we become a nation of hoarders?

http://www.dacardworld.com/video-games/nintendo-64-n64-nfl-blitz-vga-graded-80-nm

Mike

Comments

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we should switch our collecting habits. If I sold all my sports card collection and bought a video game collection my son might actually consider keeping the collection after I die.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Someone grades VHS tapes too. I don't think any cult classics have went viral with VHS old versions, but Disney movies can and have become collectible.

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i think we need a grading company to start grading the grading companies.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a card guy, I do not see the appeal of grading a video game. I would want the game open so I could play it and enjoy the memories. Basically the grade is for the box. I could see grading toys that are displayed in packaging like figures, but I don't see the value of grading the unopened box.

I guess VGA collectors feel the same way about us.

Mike
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Dumb

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

The same goes for comic books. While I understand the need to grade them to determine condition or to make sure they are not reprints but once they are sealed you can never read them again. At least with grading cards you can still enjoy them the same as if they were not graded.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I happened to see this today on Dave & Adams. I guess a company called VGA is grading factory sealed video games. Do people actually collect and grade old video games? Have we become a nation of hoarders?

http://www.dacardworld.com/video-games/nintendo-64-n64-nfl-blitz-vga-graded-80-nm

Have you ever watched American Pickers? People collect anything and everything and I say if that is what makes them happy and it doesn't hurt anyone else then good for them.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 1:03PM

I collect bats even though they will never ever hit a ball again ...sad...for the bat ....to each it's own ..but not having to play that video game when u have it ..kinda sucks lol

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 1:15PM

I am a newbie to the VGA grading world. Having made only one purchase, 1988 Nintendo Sealed Ice Hockey Grade 85, it is something I am trying to become more educated about. One thing is for sure - people spend huge amounts of money on graded, rare video games. More than ever, people connect happiness and child memories to those moments spent playing video games. What a world we live in.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.