Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cheers to the ones who make the hobby more enjoyable

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hand to god I get super excited about every coin for any reason.. (I have a problem).. but recently, I've been changing the direction of my collection. I sold off a big chunk of silver the day or two when silver was 18.80-something.

I realized I forgot to keep a common date Morgan. I love to use these to keep the dexterity up in my hands. If also helps alleviate carpal tunnel just don't do thumb movements that hurt even a little bit. I got very tired of the squeeze toy they give you.

Fast forward to today. I get a package from a member I did a small trade with, and he kicked me a 1921 in still pretty good condition. It's certainly been used in pockets.

He didn't even have to do this for me.. the weight of the coin and the very nice rim make for good physical therapy. I'm super excited since it works very well, and it flips real solid for fun things and playing with it.

It is the BEST thing that's happened to me lately with my collections =) a few weeks ago it was my first cent ddo, but I'll tell you, manipulating a solid state silver dollar is one of the best things you can do to remedy wrist problems, arthritis (ice with an NSAID after if very bad).

And you know, the truly best part, is this other collector didn't even have to do this for me. I could've just gone and snagged one for 15 bucks but this is the bee's knees. I'm sending him along some coins for his sons to go through. Hopefully some of the liberty nickels, buffalos, a few wartime and Indian cents I slipped in will make someone super excited.. I'm in no position to cut a check for thousands but hey.

It's the small things in this hobby guys... I remember being young and dealers at shows would give coins if you hung around and talked and listened and learned.. expressing your knowledge base and being corrected do delving deeper..

Coins were never anything more than a few dollars, mostly 25 and 50 cent tickets, but it would send me on adventures. Shows in the 80s were super fun. They used to be so loud because people were, y'know, interacting with each other.

I told someone here recently how nice it is to be a part of a group with, for the most part, mostly kind people. (It's like this with niche edible mushrooms, morels etc). I've seen some of you post about handing small coins out at shows. That's very cool. I never would've fallen in love or learned so much (no Internet), just by a dealer chatting and informing and just great general conversation.

And hey we have the thread now from an insider on how collecting works for this next generation. New numismatists are already teaching another actively collecting population, that are very young and keen with technology. Leaps and bounds.

I recently found a 1963 nickel given to me by a kind woman in her 40s maybe 50s with curly black hair who talked about her husband and buffalo nickels for a real long time.

Ms. Generous Coinlady sparked my interest in both blue and purple nickels and laminations on nickels. She showed me how to put a coin in an album without thumbing it. 30 years later, found in an old desk drawer, and completes my brass colored all denomination unc or much better.

So I'm super stoked and excited. I'm gonna go play with my Morgan (haha).

What's the best thing that's happened to you and your collections lately? What random acts of coin kindness have come your way, or that you may have done, or surprises?

Comments

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 5:22AM

Nice post. Every once in awhile an eBay seller will take the time to write a handwritten thank you note or slip in an inexpensive free coin with my purchase. It is a nice gesture and reminds me that eBay isn't always a mindless marketplace and that there are real people out there sending me coins haha. I try to pay it forward when I can. :)

Edited to add: And there is also the esteemed CRO hat -- cheers to CRO! B)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I don't personally know them but I am deeply grateful to a couple people. Dick Osburn for one. He put his book on die marrriages of seated Dollars online. Now Bill Buggert is putting some of his die marriage books online in April. I have wanted to determine some of my Seated Half coins ever since I found out about his new works. Very generous of both men. I have even dared call it a golden age in Numismatics.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post, glad you are enjoying life :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post indeed! You are at the right place to talk coins and enjoy the hobby. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file