Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

87 Fleer Baseball Wax Box Break

Had some time on my hands today and decided to crack into a box of 87 Fleer, the height of quality in the low production late 80's card sets. Hadn't handled any of these since within a couple years of their issue, so was a nice trip down memory lane -

BBCE authenticated box

Ready to open the hood!

Just like I remember at the LCS!

Picked out the top 4 packs to rip today, with 4 more per day to open for the next 8 days!

Yahtzee!

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Go Dodgers!

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't read the title correctly and was expecting Jordans and low pops with 87 fleer basketball. LOL

Good luck with the break. What was the cost on this?

• Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

The Bonds was one of the great cards of the 80s!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always thought this is one of the most attractive card sets ever made. Hopefully you pull some good stuff.

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Next 4 packs up!

Some HOF power

Was it a home run or a strikeout - seemed to always be one or the other!

The Thrill!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool trip down memory lane, thank you.

If you decide to send the Bonds to PSA does the rough cut affect the grading?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened one of these last year. A trip down memory lane for sure. Back then the will clark rookie was the one to have

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I opened one of these last year. A trip down memory lane for sure. Back then the will clark rookie was the one to have

Will is one the guys I use as an example during PED discussions. I wonder what his stats would have looked like had he took PED.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 10:40AM

Being from Milwaukee, when my friends and I would hit on girls and get denied back in college, we'd always tell each other "Good at bat Rob Deer" we said the same thing when it worked out.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Michael, please check your pms--specifically those on the 14th! ;):)

• Options

Have been away for a few days, so just resumed the ripping!

Would have been nice in 1987!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2017 3:52PM

Duplicate post

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved the design of this set though I never did buy any unopened back then - could never find any! Topps was all over, Donruss was available at Toys R Us and Meijer but Fleer? Good luck! I ended up buying the 87 tin set instead.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 4:24PM

I think at one time I had over 100 of the John Tudor cards from this set. I was buying up all his cards like crazy for some reason.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

solid box so far

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    edited April 18, 2017 4:27PM

Last several rounds of pack openings from this box have yielded many HOF'S and an amazing trip down memory lane with all of the amazing prospects, recalling the fun of pack wars with these cards, looking up the most recent Beckett values for every rookie card!

Here are a couple nice recent pulls -

Think I have 12 packs left. Wonder what I should rip next?

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of nice pulls. I like the Larkin and Bo Jackson cards. :+1::+1:

Good luck with the rest of the rip.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@MarsAttacks said:
    Last several rounds of pack openings from this box have yielded many HOF'S and an amazing trip down memory lane with all of the amazing prospects, recalling the fun of pack wars with these cards, looking up the most recent Beckett values for every rookie card!

54 hockey!! :p

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. I love this set. It's one of the nicest looking sets in the late 80's junk wax era. I remember paying over $5 a pack and $150/box when so many of the rookie cards from this set were taking off. Little diid anyone know how much of this stuff was being produced. It's still lower produced than 87D or 87 Topps by a lot.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

@mikelowell25 said:

@MarsAttacks said:

54 hockey!! :p

LOL - I was thinking maybe 88-89 Topps Hockey?

Go Dodgers!