Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about varieties in the Israel 'Prutot' series (1949-1960).

I have a question about one of the varieties in the Prutot series. Haffner, in the 1970 catalogue, mentions the 'Die-break' variety found on 50, 100 and 250 Prutot coins (1949). However, in the 1979 catalogue, she mentions on these coins (and some others): 'Rev: metal-run on the bar to the wreath'.
Is this the same variety? Are there any pictures of these varieties?

Thanks!

Tom.

Comments

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 12:48PM

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but these varieties, if they ever existed at all, have fallen out of fashion. Collectors here don't know or recognize them anymore.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might I suggest you contact Bill Rosenblum directly?
    I don't believe there are many or any truly avid variety collectors here at all.
    He lives in Colorado, and has been in this field for decades.
    He would be the best person to ask, and a good source for Israel material.

• Options
    TomVTomV Posts: 17 ✭✭

Thanks desslok! It is not a disappointment at all, it saves me a lot of time searching for stuff that is not there! I think I have some old fashioned books (Haffner 1st, 2nd and 3th editions). Recently, after some 10/12 years, I picked up my old hobby of collecting Israeli coins again.
    But are there anywhere some websites, forums, lists or publications that show/mention the varieties in the 'pruta' and 'agora' series that do exist? At the moment I do have some KM varieties and two 1 Agora 'shadow' varieties. I would be nice to know where to look for.

@marcmoish: I know Bill Rosenblum, in the past I bought some coins from him, p.e. the 1954 100 Prutot "Utrecht". But I also know he is very busy. That is why I try to get information on this forum and on Facebook. And it is nice to get in touch with other collectors, isn't it?

By the way, on Facebook I got the impression that there are two parties in Israel coin collectors. One that follows Haffner (including me, because of the old books I have :/ ) and one that has some new insights or information. Is my impression correct?

Best regards,

Tom.

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

The only reference which is newer than Haffner is the Sheqel.info online catalog. Apart from that, I don't really know of any different parties of collectors. Might I ask which Facebook group you're referring to?

I myself specialize in error coins from Israel. You can see my own personal collection at the following website. It's in Hebrew, but pictures of coins are pictures of coins in every language :smile:
    israelerrorcoins.wixsite.com/coins

• Options
    TomVTomV Posts: 17 ✭✭

@desslok: I am aware of Sheqel.info. The Facebook group is 'Israel Coins and Stamps Group'.

Well, you have a nice collection of error coins, congratulations!