Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade Entire Set

Sorry if this has been covered, I couldn't find good information.

What is the best way to get an entire set graded, cost-wise? I have an 84 Topps football set I've had for a long time I'd love to get graded. But what's the expected cost? Are there Collector's Club specials or anything to look forward to?

I know PSA says it gives you some free submissions but I don't expect a lot from that.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! I'd suggest signing up for the one year collectors club, and getting the 6 "free" grades. Then try to pick the best 6 cards to send in, and see how you fair. The cheapest way would be to send them in on a monthly special. I think they are as low as $6 per card. The real caveat being, much like my first submission , the grades were lower than expected. In some cases, it would have been cheaper to buy the card already graded instead of paying to grade my own! That being said, if the cards hold sentimental value, and you just plain want them graded, go right ahead. However, I'd have to think just sending in a whole set would be an exercise in futility if you are expecting all high grades.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 7:05AM

Do the above.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

It's totally sentimental. Not expecting high grades. I guess I just figured it would be cool to have them all encapsulated and preserved. I wouldn't get rid of them. I just worry because even though they're in new pocket sheets, it just seems over time something could happen. I had a whole set lost because the pages stuck to the cards.

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I would contact PSA and ask about pricing. For all cards from the same set you might get a discount. Also if you put it on the registry I believe a few are free when you get to a certain percentage completion.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2017 9:16AM

Just some quick math...almost 400 cards in that set..if we multiply by $6.50, you would be looking at $2,600. If I were you, I would just pick about 10-20 of the cards (Elway, Marino, etc.) that you want graded and put the rest in nice supply cases. JMHO. And I didn't include the membership fee.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I agree with TheMick. Sentimentality has cost us all a lot of money. Grade the top stars and rookies. It would take some time, but getting PSA 7/8 off of eBay can be had for $5 or less per card including shipping. Often, you can pick up graded lots for about $2/graded card. Hell, for $2,600 you could land ALL the top cards in the set in PSA 9.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

One other thing to consider is the space and weight of a completely graded 396 card set. That's a lot of bulk.

Daniel
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joegyst said:
    It's totally sentimental. Not expecting high grades. I guess I just figured it would be cool to have them all encapsulated and preserved. I wouldn't get rid of them. I just worry because even though they're in new pocket sheets, it just seems over time something could happen. I had a whole set lost because the pages stuck to the cards.

Welcome to the boards!

Don't let your emotions get in the way with making wise business decisions.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Great feedback! Thanks!

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I agree,,grading the whole set is a waste of money. Possibly you could be spending 2500-3k on a set worth $50 replacement cost... I think you would save a boatload just getting a safe or a deposit box at the bank and store it there so you don't "lose" it. But even then its spending a lot on a set of not much value(this is assuming you have a collector set, not investment grade and even then it has little upside).

• Options

@dkfastball said:
    Just send in the whole set and try to get a bulk discount. Roll the dice and post some highlights. It would be an awesome wild adventure and if it's truly sentimental then who cares about maximizing value.

True collecting baby.

If you are set on doing this at least do a test run of 10 cards first.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

'84T FB is a beast even in the best scenario. Your cards will be technically wiped out - unless you have all sharp and perfectly centered examples. That will leave you feeling less than sentimental. You'd be better advised to have graded the key rookies/stars/low pops from your assemblage and purchase the rest from a company such as 4sharpcorners if you really want a complete graded set.. At least research the cost variation. You might be surprised.

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

You definitely have some options. If this particular '84 topps set is sentimental, then I can see coughing up the money to have them protected and preserved. Of course, I would probably just opt to do penny sleeves in toploaders. But ya, as suggested above, if graded examples are what you are after, then grab your favorite players or HOF'ers already graded and put the rest in toploaders.

Smaller sets are easier to have the ENTIRE set graded (like 1986 Fleer basketball). Easier on the pocketbook (usually)...easier on storage requirements....easier to move them if needed

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Why not post a few of your cards here for us to look at? Marino, Elway, Dickerson, Long, etc. Then, post about 4-5 other cards that YOU think are in exceptional condition.
    With good scans to check, a lot of us can give you a pretty darned accurate idea of what you could expect.
    Whatever route you choose, have a blast!

• Options

@SOM said:
    Why not post a few of your cards here for us to look at? Marino, Elway, Dickerson, Long, etc. Then, post about 4-5 other cards that YOU think are in exceptional condition.
    With good scans to check, a lot of us can give you a pretty darned accurate idea of what you could expect.
    Whatever route you choose, have a blast!

Scans is a great idea!