Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Nickels!!!! Dabbling in Canada 5 cent coins

Hello. I am into nickels, especially US Jefferson nickels. I do enjoy other 5 cent coins and have always admired the Great Northern Nickels. I know next to nothing about them except they mostly have a beaver. I love beaver. :wink: and they are magnetic.

I asked my cousin, who now resides in Canada to mail me a diverse group of nickels. I gave her $40 American for the shipping and what ever coins it would get me. So her son spent 3 months accumulating nickels for me in the chilly North. They are on the way now and I am so excited!
Any Canada Nickel fans have any advice or pointers or info for me??? I enjoy information, and no nothing of the series, keys, rarities, pick up points.
I love varieties too. Any varieties in the series to look for?

Comments

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭

I would start with the Charlton Standard Catalog, available here:

http://www.charltonpress.com/NumismaticsBook.asp?v_ISBN=9780889683716

It provides a great overview of Canadian circulating coins. Good luck.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some Canadian Nickels that I've collected over the years- it's hard not to appreciate them since you see them from time to time in change; at least up here in Ohio. I don't know much enough to give advice on what, or, where to collect the Nickels but here is an interesting blog that may be worth reading.

Good luck!

http://canadacoinhunting.blogspot.com/p/canadian-nickels-to-look-for.html

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds cool!

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I like the ones that are actually pure nickel metal, I think these are those through 1981, with the exception of some WWII years where some different alloy was used.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have managed to get my kids interested in roll hunting US nickels and cents as a family activity every few months or so. Sometimes when our family drives up to British Columbia for long weekends (we live in Seattle), we'll get a few rolls of nickels from some random Canadian bank. The kids and I have pretty easily found all the QEII dates (1953-) and occasionally find George VI nickels, too. We save the pure nickel "magnetic" ones (1955-1981) and roll the steel ones to return on the next visit.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have "tons" of them right back to 1858, many varieties, silver and nickel. Have all the key dates incl. THE key dates.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The specimen (aka proof) pieces were often produced in vanishingly small numbers and they don't come around that often, yet they typically sell for a fraction of what a US coin would fetch.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

If you're lucky, you'll get some of the small 5 cent silvers .. up til 1920. You'll have Vicky from 1858-1901, then Ed til 1910, then Geo. The 5 cent series is fun.