Home Precious Metals
Options

Junk silver or better quality silver

Many people stack lots of different forms of silver. I was buying any form of 90% at the lowest price available a while back but moved to mostly kenndy and franklin halves due to weight issues on older coins. Now I have an opportunity to buy better AU/unc bens at .5 times face more. So is the premium worth it? Will this stragety pay off when selling in the future or when silver reaches a certain level it will not mater.

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for those but that's just me. Most late date Walkers, Franklin's and Kennedy's have a lot of meat left on them.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you pay an extra premium for bullion you have to ask yourself if you'll get that extra premium back when it comes time to sell. In the case you cited it's doubtful that you'll get that extra 0.5 times face back when you sell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

I do 1964 kennedy halfs.. They were not in circulation very long... More silver left on them

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Well I just noticed Arizona coin pays 7 dollars each for AU/UNC which is 14 x face so I guess there is a market for them with a premium

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

You still have to pay for shipping to arizona

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just pick that type of junk silver when it's available but won't pay extra. I'll just wait for it to be available at the same price.
    I have paid more in the past, but found it was a waste as I got the same for everything when I sold.

Generally unless the batch is all excessively worn, a few worn coins here and there won't matter when you sell. (at least that's my experience)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is not real dichotomy between new and old junk. On the one hand you have old possible lower mintage , different design from current circulating clad , on the other hand newer 90% full weight.

You think one or the other might be a selling point at exit but actually they are just 2 different clubs they will beat you down with.

Load up on worn barber and walking liberty halfs and flash forward to sell time and the coin shop or we buy gold guy will tell you its sub par because its not pretty or not full weight. (don't look in his display case where he is selling similar items at twice melt value)

Load up on BU kennedy's and Franklins and flash forward to sell time and the coin shop or we buy gold guy will tell you everyone mostly wants the old stuff (don't look in his display case where he is selling similar items at twice melt value)

It's kinda like asking a guy if he has stopped beating his wife yet

The correct answer is to maximize your stackable ounces and try to be the big dog at sell time however you can manage it.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
      • don't listen to anyone here, they don't know what they are talking about...
    1. I would take bronco's last sentence advice...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Well good answers but for .25 more I will pay extra sometimes. I know five bucks more a roll is not going to break the bank and yes it lowers my potential stack everytime I purchase one. Sometimes you have to splurge if they make you happy.
    Ummmm shiny silver

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's most important - do what makes most sense to you and have fun!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've tracked the price of 90% junk silver since the 1960's and noticed that when the price of silver is high, junk coins (even uncirculated ones) often sell at a discount to melt value, while Silver Eagles and many other bullion coins seem to hang on to their premium.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)