Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Central American Republic 8R question.

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this about 10 years ago--who doesn't like a nice sun face after all--but never made a study of it much.

For those of you familiar with these would you mind sharing a grade guess?

When I first bought it I thought it was over graded, but now with a more serious recent examination I'm thinking a lot of it's look is due to a weak strike. However, this is certainly not a type of coin I have much experience and wouldn't mind hearing some opinions and gain some education.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best guess based the pics is 50, but it could look very different in hand.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather see it in hand mainly because this series not only has quality issues from a production standpoint but the surviving population was often processed. Having said that, the AU spectrum seems plausible.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to add the grade--it's in an AU-53 slab (old no prong NGC).

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Nice coin, lots going on. 53 is about right, pending the amount of remaining luster. The details are weak on the reverse, normally you like to see as much detail in the leaves as possible. The coin is an over date 6/2. It is also an over assayer AE/MA. It is one of the more common dates that has been graded with most grades in au.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

50-53 seems adequate on picture, on hand may be different.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the design loss is strike. The coin is loaded with luster. One tip I use for grading are the die breaks (when present). Note that the one crossing the top of the "4" is hardly worn at all. The technical "wear grade" for this coin is higher than 53. However, as with Buffalo nickels from branch mints in the twenties, the coin looks more worn than it actually is. Bet with proper conservation to bring out the luster you could get this into a 55 holder but its value probably would not be affected much. Nice coin!