Home Q & A Forum
Options

1913 Type 1 Buffalo Counterfeit Diagnositcs

I have a great looking Type 1 Buffalo. From the looks of it, it would grade as a MS66 or so. Which for me sounds a little too good to be true. Does anyone have any 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Counterfeit Diagnostics? It would be helpful in determining if I should send the coin in. The only odd thing about it is that the reverse is rotated about 15 degrees counter-clock-wise. That is what is making me hesitant. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I don't believe I have ever seen a counterfeit 1913 Buffalo nickel. However, I have seen them with rotated reverses, which is not very unusual. Thus, you probably have a real one.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins have been counterfeited but the fakes I have seen are not very good. Of course you need to know what a genuine looks like. Look at the surfaces of your coin with a hand lens. If they are rough and granular the coin is probably a fake. You can go on the PCHS web site and see what the genuine should look like.