Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards you just refuse to buy

Do any of you have any cards that you would like to get, but just refuse to buy?

I'm not talking about cards you want, but they're too expensive for you to afford (we all have those). What I'm referring to, are cards that you could afford, but something about them turns you off.

With me, it's the 1963 and 1967 Topps Roberto Clementes. It sickens me that Topps, from 1957 - 1969, referred to him as "Bob". His name is NOT "Bob". It is "Roberto". It's sad, because the 1963 and 1967 Topps Clementes are such great shots of him, but I just cannot look at any of his cards from those 13 years, without getting ticked off.

Is there anyone else out there who has cards like that, that just make your blood boil?

Steve

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Rose cards unless I have to have one for a set. I didn't like him as a player and liked him even less once he bet on baseball games.
    James

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

1962 Topps. Woodgrain style,not a fan of the design.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

You guys will laugh at me. Ha ha!

For years, I mean WAY TOO MANY, I was anti-Mantle. Couldn't stand his mug, his rep, and the fact that every person and their grandma owned a boss collection of his cards. Then one day, I had an epiphany. A little voice said to me "Hey idiot. You don't need to like the guy. But you could still buy his cards and apply the same theories you have for all your favorite man crush athletes who make you such pocket money just the same. Buy the damn cards! You freeking idiot!"

So, I did. The little voice was right and I listened.

So, ahem, little voice, then where exactly were you when I went into my hating Tom Brady phase? Loser. :(

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I'm not a big fan of 1955 Bowman. Don't care for the old TV set look. 1962 would be second. Those borders rarely look nice unless the card is near perfect. I definitely collect Pete Rose. Yes he made some stupid mistakes gambling but if you look at the way he played the game, there are very few players that hustle the way he did.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMick said:
    I'm not a big fan of 1955 Bowman. Don't care for the old TV set look. 1962 would be second. Those borders rarely look nice unless the card is near perfect. I definitely collect Pete Rose. Yes he made some stupid mistakes gambling but if you look at the way he played the game, there are very few players that hustle the way he did.

I agree with you on the TV set set. Always felt it would make a better subset/insert set what with the "novelty" like set approach. Today they would have to go with the flat screen TV approach. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

i am the same way about Clemente!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

1953-1956 Topps baseball. Always hated the cartoon looking designs.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

1970 Topps never looked that great to me.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I don't know why, but he signed his name Bob Clemente for a while like his 1967 TOPPS card.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

1963 topps Stargell rc.
    Hate the floating heads.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

1959 Topps and 1960 Topps Jim Taylor. I have actually owned 3-4 of the RC in several grades but usually end up selling them because it is not him in the picture. I need it for several Registry sets, plus he is an LSU guy. I even read his autobiography. It just ticks me off that one of the all time greats has a RC that is not him. I also hate the 1995 Topps Carlos Beltran, not only is it a terrrible picture, it is also some other dude!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Agree on the Bob Clemente, won't buy one.
    As a Boston guy I hated Mantle and anything Yankees and refused to buy. Probably passed on some huge deals as I would not look at Mantle or Ruth. Now I have four Mantles and one is the 55 Bowman. Now that is a set people either hate or love. I actually really like the cards as it is a real piece of tv history. Travis I feel your pain, the struggle is real, however TB12 has never been a buying issue for me.

• Options

For obvious reasons, I'd prefer to collect pictures of TB's wife. Never had that problem with Mick. ;)

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 7:24AM

Airbrushed football cards without team logos from 1970 through 1981. There are iconic cards in those sets I loathe to buy, for example, 1972 Roger Staubach pro action - a card featuring two Hall of fame Cowboys in a rare game shot. Staubach throwing the ball and Rayfield Wright making a block. The first thing my eyes see is the airbrushing. So sad.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just simply, anything Barry Bonds. His PED use and lack of accountability shows his lack of character.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really dislike capless head shots (looking at you, 1961 Topps set). Also cards of Willie Mays with the patented scowl. Double points for the '61 Topps Mays which combines both.

Daniel
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 12:49PM

@alifaxwa2 said:
    1963 topps Stargell rc.
    Hate the floating heads.

I hate ALL multi head rookies.

That's why I prefer to say the 64 Kahns as Rose's rookie(same as 52 topps mantle or 86 fleer Jordan). Its so nice to look at.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

A lot of registry modern RCs. Brady Manning and Moss to name a few. While I could afford them, I just won't. It may be foolish, but that money can buy some nice vintage, and because of my age, I'd rather have holes post-1990 than pre-1990.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

patch cards. they are generally ugly and bulky cards and destroy relics.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I'll add another card...The Franco Harris RC. It just looks stupid.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Is this a sports card?

• Options

Yes, that must be a miniature golf outfit.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willie Mays. Great player no doubt. Just a grumpy, miserable human being though. The ONLY baseball player I have ever encountered who would not allow a picture after I paid for an auto. I have heard so many bad experiences from fans when meeting him. Just always gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

I understand the point about Clemente and I've mentioned it to any number of people over the years (and how I hate the patronizing nature of it) but Roberto Clemente was one of the coolest men to ever walk the Earth and that fact comes through in every image of him, on every card he appears on. That overwhelms all other factors, for me.

I agree about the capless cards and I am going to have to push myself rather hard to ever buy a '72 Tony LaRussa in order to complete my Braves team set.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Anything Red Sox unless I need it as part of a set I'm working on.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 10:30PM

@Piggs said:
    1970 Topps never looked that great to me.

BOO!!!!!!

;)

Dave
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say refuse, but anybody wearing a Raiders jersey had better be dang cheap!! ;)

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

Yep; the 1956 Mantle, IMHO, is his worst card because of the cartoonish look!

Steve

• Options

@rexvos said:
    1959 Topps and 1960 Topps Jim Taylor. I have actually owned 3-4 of the RC in several grades but usually end up selling them because it is not him in the picture. I need it for several Registry sets, plus he is an LSU guy. I even read his autobiography. It just ticks me off that one of the all time greats has a RC that is not him. I also hate the 1995 Topps Carlos Beltran, not only is it a terrrible picture, it is also some other dude!

I'm the same way regarding the T-3 Frank (Homerun) Baker (it pictures Jack Barry), and all the caramel cards that say Cy Young, but actually picture Irv Young. Thing is, Irv Young was known as "Little Cy", so technically, the cards may be correct; but they still do not depict Denton Young, who is of course the Immortal "Cy" Young. Why people continue to pay HOFer prices for these cards is totally beyond my comprehension.

Steve

• Options

@mlbfan2 said:
    Is this a sports card?

Oh yea, I have Big-Time Hate for those cards. Keep the players In Uniform, Please!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Good call on the Rivera. I really do kinda dislike the card just for the street clothes aspect. Same shot of him leaning against the beam but in a proper uniform and I'd be fine with it. Not a great action pose or anything, but it'd be acceptable.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@rexvos said:

I'm the same way regarding the T-3 Frank (Homerun) Baker (it pictures Jack Barry), and all the caramel cards that say Cy Young, but actually picture Irv Young. Thing is, Irv Young was known as "Little Cy", so technically, the cards may be correct; but they still do not depict Denton Young, who is of course the Immortal "Cy" Young. Why people continue to pay HOFer prices for these cards is totally beyond my comprehension.

Steve

Good call on the caramel Cy Youngs that aren't really. I wouldn't want to pay a HOF'ers price for those either!

• Options
    EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I refuse to buy any of this new Panini or Donruss stuff without the uniform logos...ridiculous.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EldoEsq said:
    I refuse to buy any of this new Panini or Donruss stuff without the uniform logos...ridiculous.

You can add Leaf Hockey to the list for me. Same reason as ^.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yep; the 1956 Mantle, IMHO, is his worst card because of the cartoonish look!

Steve

Agree wholeheartedly! I love the '56 design, I really like Mantle cards, and I think the action shot is awesome, but I cannot pull the trigger on buying this card because of the portrait. I've been close, though...

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@alifaxwa2 said:
    1963 topps Stargell rc.
    Hate the floating heads.

I hate ALL multi head rookies.

That's why I prefer to say the 64 Kahns as Rose's rookie(same as 52 topps mantle or 86 fleer Jordan). Its so nice to look at.

Good call, I hate them too.

On the flip side I really like the Topps Baseball second year cards that have the Topps All Star rookie trophies.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

any Mickey Mantle psa card. He's too much "flavor du jour" for me.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

1985 topps football...chip chip chip chop chip

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    1985 topps football...chip chip chip chop chip

I would like to add 86 Topps Football, what a disaster to try and grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the terrible panini unlicensed stuff. Ugh.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

@alifaxwa2 said:
    1963 topps Stargell rc.
    Hate the floating heads.

63 Topps Rose rookie floating head.Prefer the 64 Topps Rose
    58 Brooks Robinson.Something going on in his GI tract in that photo

Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options

The Babe Ruth Master Set, which I collect contains the following cards:

1960 FLEER BABE RUTH
    1961 EXHIBITS WRIGLEY HOF GEORGE HERMAN RUTH
    1961 FLEER BABE RUTH
    1961 TOPPS BABE RUTH HITS 6OTH HOMER
    1962 TOPPS BABE RUTH BABE HITS 60
    1962 TOPPS GEHRIG AND RUTH

These cards are 25+ years past Ruth's playing days, yet they are still included in the Master Set. I have argued w/ the Set Registry folks to no avail to remove them. However, I will still refuse to buy them because I don't believe they should be in the Master Set.

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Anything Michael Jordan. Im from IL originally and lived there during the height of the Bulls' success. I cherish MJ as an athlete, but im afraid to get sucked into the financial blackhole that is his PSA registry...

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorAtWork said:
    The Babe Ruth Master Set, which I collect contains the following cards:

1960 FLEER BABE RUTH
    1961 EXHIBITS WRIGLEY HOF GEORGE HERMAN RUTH
    1961 FLEER BABE RUTH
    1961 TOPPS BABE RUTH HITS 6OTH HOMER
    1962 TOPPS BABE RUTH BABE HITS 60
    1962 TOPPS GEHRIG AND RUTH

These cards are 25+ years past Ruth's playing days, yet they are still included in the Master Set. I have argued w/ the Set Registry folks to no avail to remove them. However, I will still refuse to buy them because I don't believe they should be in the Master Set.

Love the commitment,

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

@BobH said:
    58 Brooks Robinson.Something going on in his GI tract in that photo

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I just can't bring myself to purchase high numbered/SP baseball card commons. For this reason, I have not built a complete set earlier than 1973. It's not for me.

Another one is the 1957 Topps Brooks Robinson. I don't care for the look of the card at all, and it's $100+ even in an ungraded, beater condition. Again, not for me.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

I refuse to buy any patch card or any card with a stick on autograph.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Tere1071Tere1071 Posts: 163 ✭✭

I refuse to purchase relic and autographed cards. I never liked the idea of purchasing a "serious" autograph and destroying a bat or a uniform for a card bothers me. I know the relics and autographed cards drive up the demand; but it also drives up the prices for the cases and packs.

• Options

O J Simpson's cards.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:
    Is this a sports card?

True ,,im a Panama player collector and that card really ^$^&$^&$^