Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Question on back plate numbers

JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2017 5:22PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I usually lurk on the coins forum but I was curious about some new 1 dollar bills I have. Sorry for the stupid question as I am sure it is an easy one for all of you, but is finding a new dollar bill with back plate # 1 anything special? I actually recall that there is a repeating sequence of plates 1, 2, and 3 as I flip through the stack.

I thought it was neat and I might keep a set but wanted to make sure they are not special before I spend the rest.

Thx!

Comments

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Not a large following, but some collectors do collect plate #1 notes.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Adds a cool factor, but doesn't add a premium. Keep it for fun, and keep looking for cool notes!!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx! As I expected, but wanted to confirm.

About the best note I have ever found is a circulated $5 with a HUGE ink smear on the back. When I come across it I will post pics for opinions.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

I like them on 1963 $1 FRNs!
    Jim61 is selling some at my last chat with him

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    I like them on 1963 $1 FRNs!
    Jim61 is selling some at my last chat with him

It is possible to assemble a district set of $1 FRN 1963 face plate 1s. The NY note appears to be the toughest to locate.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I usually lurk on the coins forum but I was curious about some new 1 dollar bills I have. Sorry for the stupid question as I am sure it is an easy one for all of you, but is finding a new dollar bill with back plate # 1 anything special? I actually recall that there is a repeating sequence of plates 1, 2, and 3 as I flip through the stack.

I thought it was neat and I might keep a set but wanted to make sure they are not special before I spend the rest.

Thx!

Yes, there is a Wow factor, guessing it is 10% premium to the right buyer?