Home Sports Talk
Options

List some of your favorite lady athletes.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2017 3:17PM in Sports Talk

Martina Navratilova. Never much of a tennis fan and about all I watched was Martina playing singles. Flawless at her best. Nearly flawless at her worst.

Danica Patrick. Gutsy competitor. Enjoyed watching her at Indy but with Nascar she is just another also ran.

Greta Waitz. I did a lot of distance running a generation ago and was a huge fan of marathoner Waitz. Other than not as speedy as the men, the sport for ladies is identical.

Katarina Witt. I know she played for the other side, but those legs...........

Nadia Comeneci. The first "10". Nothing to add.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Evert is at the top of my list. Can't stand Martina for obvious reasons.

Nadia was great.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember Manon rehome. Can't remember spelling but I do remember her classic four sport card

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Nadia was great.

What obvious reason is that?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2017 6:08PM

^Martina and Chris were arch rivals for a decade and a half.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nadia was great.

What obvious reason is that?

We all know what it is. ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Karsta Lowe

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Karsta Lowe

Never heard of her. What does/did she do?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    ^Martina and Chris were arch rivals for a decade and a half.

Yes, I'm sure that must be it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ernestine Leobschütz. Not an athlete, but she definitely warrants inclusion for tolerating her husband, Ernie, for far too long.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2017 7:47PM

Other than grote, who can forget barefoot Zola and Mary Decker in the 84 Olympics.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Karsta Lowe

Never heard of her. What does/did she do?

volleyball , shes brutal

• Options

volleyball....there is a game I loved to play in my younger days. I could spike with either hand.....which impressed my team mates. Great game.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Lindsey Vonn.

Please refer to all available internet photography to know why I just dropped the mic. She even looks amazing on crutches. <3

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anna Kournikova.
    She really was quite good.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

At tennis? :p

• Options
    edited March 26, 2017 11:25AM

Kerri Strug won Olympic gold without any crutches.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 2:19PM

Couldn> @DIMEMAN said:

Couldn't stand Navratilova.

I liked Evert until I found out what she did when Connors book came out.

I admire Steffi Graf

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I liked Steffi Graf too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonnie Blair

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 9:15PM

I grew up it Detroit playing hockey by the time I could walk. I was a skills guy as a kid. Late bloomer size wise. Never a much of a hitter until later. My dad was pretty involved in my hockey as most hockey parents are. I remember playing at a tourney in London Ontario. When you're on the ice you can seldom hear anything from the fans over the glass. At one point in this tourney I could have leveled a kid but I poke checked the puck away instead. I heard my Dad yell from over the glass, " hit him with your purse Mark". Low point of my career

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maria Sharapova
    Lindsay Vonn
    Steffi Graf
    Katarina Witt
    Chris Evert

Steve

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Ann Myers
    Nancy Lopez
    Cheryl Miller
    Oh ya, and my favorite WNBA player Ticha Penichero

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce Jenner.

• Options

Heh.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see shout outs to Grete Waitz and Kerri Strug.
    I'm sure Grete's record of 9 NYC marathon wins will never be broken. I used Strug's 1996 Olympics performance as motivation to get me through my first marathon later that year.

Daniel
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Annika Sorenstam, who for quite a while was the best golfer on the tour.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Allison Stokke

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Female Tennis Players, all of them :p

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call me sexist if you want, but I have never been terribly impressed by women doing something better than other women, but nowhere near as well as men. For example, last year the Australian national women's soccer team played a local, not national, under-15 boys team .... and lost 7-0. Everyone - everyone as old as me anyway - remembers Billie Jean King beating Bobby Riggs in the Battle of the Sexes. But of course, Riggs was 55 years old, and most people who watched suspect he threw the match. What most people don't remember is that Riggs had recently also played reigning Wimbledon champ Margaret Court in a match that wasn't televised in prime time, and beat her.

Anyway, the question immediately made me think of a woman who did something no woman or man had ever done before. And since it was deemed to be too dangerous, the rules and equipment were changed shortly afterwards so that nobody could ever do it again. If you haven't watched Olga Korbut's uneven bars routine in the 1972 Olympics, you should find it on YouTube. I was a kid when I saw it "live" on TV and cheered even though Korbut was on the Commie team. I still watch it online from time to time.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2017 7:18PM

Dallas, thanks for the tip on Olga. I will watch it in a few minutes.

I appreciate your point that woman can rarely compete as well as the best or even a few levels below that in a given event. I find woman's team sports to be unpalatable.

But....explain the popularity of Men's NCAA basketball or football. Whoever cuts down the net in Glendale would get smoked like kippered herring at a luau against any NBA team.

Similarly when pugilists ruled the world in the 70's and 80's, the middle weights led by Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and No Mas Duran would have been taken out two at a time by a heavyweight Holmes or Tyson.

• Options

Maureen Connolly.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Jennie Finch.

• Options

Congratulations to the South Carolina ladies!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

and in other news, Lexi Thompson got jobbed! That "fan calling it in" thing has to go

• Options

@Barndog said:
    and in other news, Lexi Thompson got jobbed! That "fan calling it in" thing has to go

Just read that story. All after the fact calls (replays) destroy sports. In golf it is particularly egregious.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

and it is a MAJOR for the ladies. Lexi should have pulled an AR15 from the bag after that news.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2017 12:55AM

I'll add Cha Cha Muldowney to the list. You fellas have Google...

• Options

Lexi Thompson - I was watching that when it happened. Pulled her aside and told
    her she was being penalized 4 strokes for something that happened the day before.
    Placed her ball maybe a quarter inch from where she picked it up- 2 shot penalty. Then
    another 2 shot penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard. That was about the most ridiculous
    thing I've seen happen in golf.

• Options

Is it possible that the organizers were hoping for a different winner?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Get your tin foil hats ready ladies and gentlemen!

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 12:03PM

@Darin said:
    Lexi Thompson - I was watching that when it happened. Pulled her aside and told
    her she was being penalized 4 strokes for something that happened the day before.
    Placed her ball maybe a quarter inch from where she picked it up- 2 shot penalty. Then
    another 2 shot penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard. That was about the most ridiculous
    thing I've seen happen in golf.

Ah, but you didn't mention who caught the infraction. The rules official(s) walking with Thompson's group? Her caddy? Her player partner or her caddy?

No, no, no and no. It was a TV viewer who sent an email informing the LPGA that an infraction had occurred. Quick, name another sport that allows it's viewers to participate in rules enforcement. Takes about a nanosecond to come up with that answer. Yet, golf does.

Poor kid didn't know she messed up and takes a 4 shot penalty for something that happened the day before. It should have been caught by someone that day and enforced at that time. At least then she doesn't sign an incorrect score card.

Oh, and had she done that on Sunday and that same viewer tried to email in today, nothing would have been done. Tournament's over. Nothing to see here, please disperse.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I'll add Cha Cha Muldowney to the list. You fellas have Google...

Is that pronounced Chay Chay or does the "a" in Cha rhyme with the "a" in apple? Can we bring in Les Nessman for a ruling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fq4RQgwuA

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Get your tin foil hats ready ladies and gentlemen!

4 stroke penalty for a ball misplaced by an inch?

Perhaps Guy Yocom will be kind enough to weigh in on this.

• Options

Rules are rules. If the ball has to be placed exactly, then place it exactly. Where would you draw the line? 2 inches? 4? 12? Rules are rules. It doesn't mean that it is all a grand conspiracy.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2017 2:31PM

Problem is not necessarily penalizing the violation itself, but the time lag in enforcing the action. Problem is that TV viewers are now referees. Problem is that she was penalized an additional 2 strokes for signing an incorrect scorecard from the previous day.

They should have whacked her another couple of strokes for the provocative GD cover as the Asians take offense to such shows of cleavage....

• Options

TNP777- Great post regarding Lexi Thompson. Well said, agreee completely.

One thing about it, Lexi already had a lot of fans, now she'll have a lot more.
    And well deserved, she seems like a very nice young woman.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2017 8:07PM

This is not the first time a player has been penalized for breaking the rules after being caught by a TV viewer.

Happened to Tiger way back when, as well.

However, I believe it is a rule that ought to be revisited. I don't think TV viewers should be allowed to "call in" infractions the officials missed. Can you imagine if they allowed that to happen in football? LOL..

• Options

....but the 2 strokes for signing an incorrect score is ridiculous.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    ....but the 2 strokes for signing an incorrect score is ridiculous.

Agreed there.